FTC Takes Major Action Against Shinola

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Re: FTC Takes Major Action Against Shinola

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:38 am

JP Chestnut wrote:I'd love for the Swiss to take a similar tact. I wonder which brands would actually be made in Switzerland?
Rolex
PP
JLC
???
So my PO would say "Swiss Made" in the dial but "Chinesse Made" in the bracelet?

Or even worst... just "Swiss Made" in the movement?

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:40 am

Joeprez wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:I'd love for the Swiss to take a similar tact. I wonder which brands would actually be made in Switzerland?
Rolex
PP
JLC
???
So my PO would say "Swiss Made" in the dial but "Chinesse Made" in the bracelet?

Are you sure the movement is Swiss made? I haven't seen anything to suggest that ETA isn't buying in movement parts too.

I'm wearing my Swinese PO today.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:44 am

andrema wrote:Weiss FTW
Cameron Weiss has been transparent and made clear that everything except the movement and hands was made in Los Angeles. He avoids "Made in the USA on his watches and simply puts Los Angeles, Ca. on the dial.

I want another one.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:44 am

snootydog wrote:Back in the days when NASA chose the Omega Speedmaster as it's Space watch wasn't there calls from Government to use an American made watch? I might be wrong but I'm sure the story goes that to get around it, Omega shipped parts to the US to be assembled then shipped back to Switzerland for completion then shipped back to the US for the princely sum of $1 per Speedmaster. Business is one big con :lol:
I think I've read that Bulova really pushed for this (an American made watch that they'd design). Not sure of the whole history, though.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:54 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Rolex
PP
JLC
???

Are you sure the movement is Swiss made? I haven't seen anything to suggest that ETA isn't buying in movement parts too.

Then I guess I own a Swinese PO too :stir:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:00 am

Joeprez wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
Rolex
PP
JLC
???

Then I guess I own a Swinese PO too :stir:
Stop it I'm still honeymooning!!! :tap:

Send lawyers, guns and money...

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:02 am

It's a a great watch, but it never hurts to be an informed consumer.

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:05 am

hoppyjr wrote:
I want another one.
I still love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:06 am

That's it, I have to sell my PO now :stir:

chévere
Name: Jay

Post by chévere » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 am

Indeed it was only a matter of time before Shinola complied with the FTC's guidance. A guy in my office about them because he's a native Detroiter and really liked the premise behind what Shinola was doing. Of course, when I told him that the only thing that really happened in Detroit was assembly, he was not nearly as impressed.

As a point of clarification, the only "action" the FTC took was to not recommend enforcement action because of the remedial measures Shinola implemented (despite vowing to keep using Made in USA language). The letter itself says that "Bedrock implemented a remedial action plan to account for this significant imported content by qualifying its representations" and that "ased on Bedrock's implementation . . ., the staff has decided not to recommend enforcement action at this time." Obviously the FTC "will continue to monitor the Company's advertising closely."

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:48 am

only accurate watches are interesting

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:51 am

I deal with this every day when customers tell me they only use bearings made in the US. I'm happy for them, I don't see how it's possible, but I'm happy for their convictions..
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:55 am

JBZ wrote:
snootydog wrote:Back in the days when NASA chose the Omega Speedmaster as it's Space watch wasn't there calls from Government to use an American made watch? I might be wrong but I'm sure the story goes that to get around it, Omega shipped parts to the US to be assembled then shipped back to Switzerland for completion then shipped back to the US for the princely sum of $1 per Speedmaster. Business is one big con :lol:
I think I've read that Bulova really pushed for this (an American made watch that they'd design). Not sure of the whole history, though.
That's right. Good read here if you search "bulova"

http://watchescorner.blogspot.com/2007/ ... aster.html

But giving credit to Bulova, they were the clock used for most instrumentation during the Apollo program. Would love to get my hands one of those that never made it inside a rocket. They also gave Scott that prototype which recently sold for $1.6million. That'll be the crown jewel until old Buzz finds his "stolen" Speedmaster just before giving up the ghost. ;)

chévere
Name: Jay

Post by chévere » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:07 am

"But as you can imagine, many of the components and raw materials are simply not available in the US, and because of that we are unable to meet the almost unattainable “Made In USA” standards created by the government."

uh huh.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:10 am

What a douche response in wanting policy change rather than actually striving to greatness like RGM: Until a change in policy clarifies for the consumer what it truly means to be Made in the USA, Shinola will always strive to do as much as it can in America with the benefit of an American workforce.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:12 am

chévere wrote:"But as you can imagine, many of the components and raw materials are simply not available in the US, and because of that we are unable to meet the almost unattainable “Made In USA” standards created by the government."

uh huh.
A country that invented the stealth technology in the mid 1970's doesn't have the production capabilities to produce some tiny gears and and springs? OK, Shitola.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:13 am

Winners win; losers whine.
only accurate watches are interesting

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:35 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Cameron Weiss has been transparent and made clear that everything except the movement and hands was made in Los Angeles. He avoids "Made in the USA on his watches and simply puts Los Angeles, Ca. on the dial.

I want another one.
Too bad he's got more overpriced LEs than the entire history of Speedmasters. Okay... a BIG reach there but I sure wish Weiss would come up with a different design (cathedral hand trench watch!) and lower the price of his LEs as general dial offerings. Having an LE for $300-500 more at his level for measly dial color is just plain silly.

I do like his white dial for $950 but there's something about it I haven't figured out yet which keeps me from pulling the trigger. :think:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:43 am

sierra11b wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

I want another one.
Too bad he's got more overpriced LEs than the entire history of Speedmasters. Okay... a BIG reach there but I sure wish Weiss would come up with a different design (cathedral hand trench watch!) and lower the price of his LEs as general dial offerings. Having an LE at his level is just plain silly.
I would also like to see his LE dials become standard offerings, but I give him much credit - and will pay a bit more - to know that everything except movement and hands was made in Los Angeles.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:44 am

sierra11b wrote:
What a douche response in wanting policy change rather than actually striving to greatness like RGM: Until a change in policy clarifies for the consumer what it truly means to be Made in the USA, Shinola will always strive to do as much as it can in America with the benefit of an American workforce.
big difference Eric..... RGM is a watchmaker with a business model.... Shinola is a business established to sell units, make money and create jobs...... one of the products they sell just so happens to be watches... comparing Roland Murphy and Tom Kartosis is difficult...
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

vintageguy
Name: HWWong

Post by vintageguy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:47 am

so the old saying that "you don't know sh.. from shinola" still holds.

dmckean44
Name: Dave

Post by dmckean44 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:38 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
chévere wrote:"But as you can imagine, many of the components and raw materials are simply not available in the US, and because of that we are unable to meet the almost unattainable “Made In USA” standards created by the government."

uh huh.
A country that invented the stealth technology in the mid 1970's doesn't have the production capabilities to produce some tiny gears and and springs? OK, Shitola.
Costs can get pretty ridiculous in a hurry, especially when you're only looking for small quanities. That's how we ended up with things like $45 government hammers in the 80s.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:47 am

dmckean44 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

uh huh.
Costs can get pretty ridiculous in a hurry, especially when you're only looking for small quanities. That's how we ended up with things like $45 government hammers in the 80s.
I'd expect that $45 government hammers have more to do with the contracting process and government corruption, than with actual production costs.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:38 pm

hoppyjr wrote:

I want another one.
I like what he's doing, likely my next watch purchase.

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:52 pm

I like how hodinkee gives themselves a back-handed compliment (handjob?) by saying how they'd posted about this last year and "shortly after" the FTC started taking action, implying they were indirectly responsible for taking them down.

I wonder if John Mayer and the main dude ever go "skiing" together?
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch