OG GMT Master on Antique roadshow

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Re: OG GMT Master on Antique roadshow

Post by sierra11b » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:39 am

Jesus Fing-Christ!

I can't remember what my monthly pay was as a private but it wasn't near the cost or a Rolex and 40% went to beer and junk food on a monthly basis.

I would have easily obtained the Moonwatch from the PX and a couple Rolex if they went for a months pay when I was in. :tap:

BTW, I mentioned this before but the 6542 was the same watch my Grandfather described and said he lost. Still alive today and sharp as a tack so there's no way I'll ever show him this.

cdnwatchguy
Name: Keith

Post by cdnwatchguy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:51 am

hazmatman wrote:
gwells wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
ericf4 wrote:damn that was cool. $120 bucks,,,,wow.
that was a months pay back then. :shrug: that was and still is a lot of cash
what's sad is that 20 years later, when i was a private e-1, my salary was $151/month. granted, i had quarters and rations...
And your original clothing issue was probably still serviceable, so what else did you need money for???
CGSshorty wrote:I wonder what he'll do. I'd have to be in pretty dire straits to sell a watch I owned for that long. That is probably quite a bit of money to him, though.
Blasphemy Warning. Look away all you sensitive watch snowflakes and cupcake horologists.

Fuck it, its a watch. Unless you have absolutely no need for that cash, and you want your kids to have it - so they can ponder (or fight over) whether to sell it or keep it, fuck yeah, sell it yourself. Take your wife of 100 years and go do something. Buy your granddaughter a pony or your grandson a dirt bike. Fucking live life man!!!

Fly to an exotic location you never thought you'd ever see. Rent an RV and drive to all the places of your youth, or family vacations, or vacations you never got to take, whatever...'cause when you're dead, you don't need a damn Rolex and you can't use fresh crisp $100 bills to let a young gal a faction of your age allow you to rub oil all over her.

:whistle: Just saying.
I'm with ya on this. He should sell that baby in a heartbeat and have some fun.
cheers,

Keith

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:59 am

Wow. That is fantastic. Great find, Drew. :salute:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

stumpy1972
Perfectly Bent
Name: Dan

Post by stumpy1972 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:39 pm

Very cool! Saw this in TV the other night! Love it! :thumbsup:
"Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you king." -Bob Dylan

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." -Henry Ford

"Surely not EVERYBODY was Kung Fu fighting." -Unknown

andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

Post by andy tims » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:34 am

Excellent - great for the old guy
Andy

CoachH
Name: Joe

Post by CoachH » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:06 am

Amazing, feel good for the man. Surely he will sell and take a trip or something bucket list worthy.

CoachH
Name: Joe

Post by CoachH » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:14 am

sierra11b wrote:Jesus Fing-Christ!

I can't remember what my monthly pay was as a private but it wasn't near the cost or a Rolex and 40% went to beer and junk food on a monthly basis.

I would have easily obtained the Moonwatch from the PX and a couple Rolex if they went for a months pay when I was in. :tap:

BTW, I mentioned this before but the 6542 was the same watch my Grandfather described and said he lost. Still alive today and sharp as a tack so there's no way I'll ever show him this.
I had some college before enlisting, so I went in as an E-3 in 1987. Pay was $766 a month. A month's pay wouldn't cover the cost of a sub or gmt, but two month's worth would. I had no expenses at the time, and like you, spent most on partying. I do remember spending about 2k for a stereo system for my truck. :banghead:

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:30 am

wow...only paid $125 back in 1960. I would thunk it would be more around $500.

if the original bracelet had still been in good shape, I would how how more it would have added to the watch.

great story ...thanks for posting it!