A new car, and the end of an era.

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Re: A new car, and the end of an era.

Post by FlyPenFly » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:41 pm

I used to drive a 1995 Saab 900SE Convertible in graduate school. Let me tell you friends, not a good car to have if you're a broke ass graduate student. While a lot of people don't have problems unfortunately I did. It did teach me a lot about cars and I even did my own fuel filter changes although I came away smelling like Chevron Premium.

My last few cars have all been Bimmers (M3 Convertible, Z4) but no cars for me until I move out of Manhattan in a decade or two.

My favorite saab: (Torque steer isn't a problem, it's entertainment)

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Steven, I'm stunned...that is not like the Hyundai I had 15 yrs ago..

Loved, absolutely loved, my 9-3...miss it even today.

But, that Sonata is hot. I would have never looked at Hyundai, honestly.

Unfortunately, we were in a head-on in '05 that has left my wife with permanent knee/hip issues. She is still gun-shy of sedans (why I sold the Saab)

Our Landy after the accident (other party died)

Love your new one though! Wish I could get back into a sedan....
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:38 pm

:o --Mike, thankfully you were OK....

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa

Post by demer03 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:46 pm

jimyritz wrote::o --Mike, thankfully you were OK....
I have scarred knuckles, oldest daughter has 12" scar from seatbelt, youngest only bruises.

Lisa suffered a C3 femur fracture...means knee and hip...nothing left between. 5 yrs and 6 surgeries she is an inch shorter on that side, but alive and kicking (well, sorta).

Semi tagged a ranger that was sent across the media at 70mph...T-boned, and he didn't make it. Helluva nice guy I'm told. I still see his wife and kids in town. Semi driver was on the phone on slick roads....

Loved that Landy too....
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:11 pm

wear pants when you take pictures like this
Steven is from Florida. They prefer crocs to pants.

EDIT: his & hers crocs
Image Image

Congrats on the car Steven. I keep finding myself staring at those dudes.
Chris

Rick-Holland

Post by Rick-Holland » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:11 am

i love saab and it's dutch since a few moths ;-)
spyker/saab ..... you now spyker?
like the hyundai look like a lexus

theoilrigger

Post by theoilrigger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:40 am

love the new Hyundai Steven. I love how much downtown has changed, except for where the old Conch Club was, its a parking deck now... :cussing:

I miss Tampa :love:

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:04 am

Good looking ride Steven! Those babies are everywhere around here. Seems Hyundai picked up on the new low smooth roofline, high waistline that Mercedes and VW are pushing. Makes for a very attractive vehicle.

Hyundai has made it it's business to use whatever designs and innovations are the most marketable regardless of the appearance that they are copying other's designs. Many previous versions of the Sonata were virtual Lexus copies, but the consumer does not mind...this has been Hyundai's model for success: putting the design elements of more expensive vehicles into an affordable and reliable package.

Not unlike previous Asian automakers who were trying to break into the auto consumer market.

I sadly am going in reverse when it comes to economy. I went from my Cooper S, with a real world average of 25mpg, to the Challenger SRT, which is curently averaging a real world mpg of......16.9. I did manage a couple tankfuls in the Mini with over 30mpg and one tank in the HEMI with 22mpg. But both require premium fuel = $$$. The Harley gets decent mileage but you can't carry much gear and when it rains, well...you get wet. While I m not ready to surrender my Need for Speed, I have begun to look for more economical rides...like the Honda Element, a very versatile (but butt ugly) vehicle.

Congrats on the new ride!!!

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:47 am

After thinking about it I don't know if I could have traded in a TurboX but honestly the GM dealers suck these days! Also the TurboX is a super nice refined machine and the V-6 when tuned is a running fool. But you definitely didn't trade down by any means and in the long run that Hyundai might prove that. Good luck with it.

And to the Viggen, that is what my wife wanted but in a convertible form. Just they are still selling for big bucks right now. :scratch:

Mike, I am glad to hear everything came out okay after your accident! I got into one like that when my wife was 8 months preg. and to say I went ape shit at the scene of the accident is a understatement. :angryfire:

Brklynlarsons
Name: Robert

Post by Brklynlarsons » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:10 pm

Always been a fan of Saab. Used to live in Colorado, and was surrounded by them. I don't know from Hyundai, but it looks like a pretty sweet little ride. Congratulations. :cheers:

My lease is up in February, and since I made a vow to finish the majority of renovations on my house in two years, I decided to go old skool redneck and pick up an old Ford Bronco as my new ride. My business is slowing down, so I don't drive as much as I used to, and I need the space more than I need to speed. Frightening as it may seem, the Bronco will probably get much the same mpg as my current car (535xi). :banghead:
No thanks, I'm trying to cut down

Robert

nhoJ
Name: John

Post by nhoJ » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:27 pm

I own a 2009 Sonata and its been great for me. Your's looks sharp and I feel a little envy when I see one on the road, but what can you do.

Hyundai has been doing a lot of experimenting with the sedans and the flagship model. I think between the Genesis and this new model Sonata they've hit their mark well. I'd buy another without question. Honda and Toyota are overpriced. Everything else from Japan is meh, IMHO. I looked hard at Ford and didn't go through with it, but this was during the time of the financial disaster and I was leery of the American companies. Maybe next time.

merichar

Post by merichar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:00 pm

Hyundai has definitely stepped up their game. Interesting how they are turning around the perception many had of them a few years ago.
Mark

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for all the feedback (and the Turbo X love, MUCH appreciated). :thumbsup:

I was pretty surprised when I started looking in this category and saw Hyundai being discussed as pushing Honda and Toyota. Considering this is a maxed out Sonata SE, for $26k (and if you are buying you can get them down from there I'm sure), a comparable Honda or Toyota would be way more $$.

The styling is definitely what made me go for it. Had it been another "safe" looking car that just blends into the masses, I doubt I would have gone for it, even with the pricing. But I really like the coupe like styling, and as has been mentioned already, both VW and Mercedes have already forged that path, but I think the Sonata stands well on its own.

Drove it to work today, across the bridge mostly at 70mph and it drove just fine, the radio sounded good and there was sunshine and salt air coming in the sunroof as I crossed the bridge from Tampa to St.Pete. :love:

Regarding Ford: I had a horrible experience with Ford service back in the late 80's and I promised them then, at the dealer and my calls to Ford corporate, that if they did not get the damn car fixed right this time, I would never buy another Ford. That I would tell everyone I knew then, and would ever meet, not to buy a Ford should it ever came up in conversation. Well I have been true to my word and bad mouth them every chance I get. Ford is never going to get one penny from me ever again.

:monkeypiss: Ford :angryfire: :scream: :smack:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

Brklynlarsons
Name: Robert

Post by Brklynlarsons » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:04 am

Wow, tell us how you really feel about Ford. I'm not sure I got it. :raised:

Trust me when I tell you, buying a Ford is a big step for me. I've never owned an American car :popcorn: , and I have my doubts. However, I'm paying cash (and not a whole helluva lot of it), and I have a good mechanic, and if the crap hits the fan, I'll just go buy a Toyota Tacoma.
No thanks, I'm trying to cut down

Robert

nhoJ
Name: John

Post by nhoJ » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:56 am

SCM64 wrote: Regarding Ford: I had a horrible experience with Ford service back in the late 80's and I promised them then, at the dealer and my calls to Ford corporate, that if they did not get the damn car fixed right this time, I would never buy another Ford. That I would tell everyone I knew then, and would ever meet, not to buy a Ford should it ever came up in conversation. Well I have been true to my word and bad mouth them every chance I get. Ford is never going to get one penny from me ever again.

:monkeypiss: Ford :angryfire: :scream: :smack:
LOL...there's lots of 80's Ford stories out there. My father in law had a Mustang and the hood detatched on the highway on his way home from the purchase! Today it is a different company and a different car. Unfortunately around me the Ford salesmen are the same as always. I just can't get past the purchase experience since I feel like I'm getting the shake down every time I walk in the door. With Hyundai I got an online quote, walked in the door, gave it a test drive, got them to take the car mats and the pinstripes off the sale price and I was out of there in an hour. Make the purchase as easy as possible and your customer will drive away in your car. I never understood why American dealers made the purchase more painful than Chinese water torture. Who wants to have to negotiate EVERYTHING?!?!

Unfortunately my local Hyundai service department is not the best....a 2 hour oil change even with an appointment. I even had 2 more free ones and I passed because I couldn't take the wait. They just don't take care of you like the luxury dealers do, but that's ok cuz I'm too cheap to use them anyway. Jiffy Lube for me and I'd rather give a local guy my money for service.