Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Interesting read on the vintage market.

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:04 pm

"We'd better synchronize our watches."

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Re: Interesting read on the vintage market.

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:43 pm

Learning a incredible amount of cool stuff today Jay ! :salute: :headbang: For some reason
did not even know about these. Can't thank you enough for the lesson !

Yowza, really neat to see. Thank you !

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Thqnks

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:40 pm

Great article. Love that site.

pacifichrono
Name: Tom

Post by pacifichrono » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Very insightful. I'm amazed at the price run-up for this model, considering that the UG brand back then was not much more than an Invicta, representing mostly a conglomeration of parts made by others. This "Nina Rindt" is completely marketing value.

The Valjoux was certainly a top-shelf movement in the sixties, but that won't add more than $1,000 to the watch's value. The rest of the UG is probably below average in comparative quality to its peers.
Regards from Sunny San Diego.............Tom

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:24 pm

I'd never heard of that site - pretty darn cool place to hang out for awhile and soak it in.

jsj11
Name: Jules

Interesting read on the vintage market.

Post by jsj11 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks for posting this as I had similar thoughts to the journalist who wrote the article. Interesting to see the reply by Eric Wind at the bottom totally refuting that there is a financial link between Hodinkee and the dealers they feature on "Bring a Loupe". I was convinced that there was.

Either way, it would be a clever ploy if they do, though often we are convinced that some people are much cleverer than they really are.
Current Rotation:
Rolex: Pepsi GMT 16710 | Zenith: 1969 El Primero | Tudor: Pelagos | Heuer: Autavia 11630 | Nomos: Orion Datum | Doxa: 300 Pro 50th Anniversary | Muhle Glashutte: SeeBattalion GMT | Glycine: Airman No.1 | Tactico: Anko | Buler: Vintage 1353 Diver
Incoming:
Bulova: Moonwatch

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:03 am

Where's his article about how the moon landing was faked?
-David

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:11 am

jsj11 wrote:Thanks for posting this as I had similar thoughts to the journalist who wrote the article. Interesting to see the reply by Eric Wind at the bottom totally refuting that there is a financial link between Hodinkee and the dealers they feature on "Bring a Loupe". I was convinced that there was.

Either way, it would be a clever ploy if they do, though often we are convinced that some people are much cleverer than they really are.
I don't see any replies :shrug:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:12 am

dshap wrote:Where's his article about how the moon landing was faked?
:doh:
Did he really? Still a cool site, and he brings interesting perspective.

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:40 am

Having observed firsthand this exact phenomenon occur with certain handmade custom knives, and note it is still ongoing in that market, I accept his analysis completely.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I don't believe money changes hands, at least with the well known reputable dealers mentioned in the article. It is an interesting point about collectibles and the hype from social media driving up prices. That's just the way it is with collectibles these days, as Seth confirms.

Did he really say the moon landing was faked?
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:59 am

dukerules wrote:

Just meant he's seeing conspiracies where there aren't any.
-David

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:32 am

dshap wrote:
dukerules wrote:

Just meant he's seeing conspiracies where there aren't any.
I agree. It's an interesting article, but that's an awful lot of speculation. I wouldn't blame Hodinkee for taking issue with the whole finder's fee thing, coupled with the pretty disingenuous "not that there's anything wrong with that" language.

That said, it is interesting to see how certain pieces go from "rare" to "rare and desirable." I also liked the part about how brand enthusiasts often complain about how their chosen brand should be priced higher, but if or when that happens, the great bulk of them get priced out of the market.

jsj11
Name: Jules

Post by jsj11 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:05 pm

dukerules wrote:
jsj11 wrote:Thanks for posting this as I had similar thoughts to the journalist who wrote the article. Interesting to see the reply by Eric Wind at the bottom totally refuting that there is a financial link between Hodinkee and the dealers they feature on "Bring a Loupe". I was convinced that there was.

I don't see any replies :shrug:
It was at the foot of the article in the comments section for me
Current Rotation:
Rolex: Pepsi GMT 16710 | Zenith: 1969 El Primero | Tudor: Pelagos | Heuer: Autavia 11630 | Nomos: Orion Datum | Doxa: 300 Pro 50th Anniversary | Muhle Glashutte: SeeBattalion GMT | Glycine: Airman No.1 | Tactico: Anko | Buler: Vintage 1353 Diver
Incoming:
Bulova: Moonwatch

Mark020
Name: Mark020

Post by Mark020 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:30 am

Copied from Onthedash
Hi TomVox,

Your speculations spoken as fact are, at least involving me, completely false. It might be hard for you to believe that my writing the What’s Selling Where / Bring A Loupe column was out of my passion for watches and not for financial gain. The columns were a hobby while I had full-time employment outside of the watch world. In fact, I did not receive any “finder’s fees” or other compensation for featuring watches from dealers. I featured watches that I found after spending countless hours (you can ask my wife) scouring eBay and the web for watches that interested me and that I thought were of appropriate quality from the perspective of someone who has collected and studied watches for years. My writing was driven by my passion, tastes, and knowledge. As you know, becoming an expert in vintage watches, with their infinite details and nuances, is not an overnight task. For me, my columns were never about creating hype and increasing watch prices. In fact, you can see many of the vintage watches I highlighted were below $500 because I am passionate about great watches at all price points.

There is no question that the explosion in value of the “Nina Rindt” Compax has been an amazing thing to watch. It is a watch I have loved for many years and never owned. I remember back in 2011 almost buying an unpolished original one on eBay that sold in an auction for about $2,310, but it was slightly more than I was willing to pay at the time. In fact, I just dug out the link to the eBay listing, although the photos no longer survive online:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/170669687500

I almost went after an exotic one for $2,550 shortly thereafter, but passed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-GENEV ... 0827964332

The growth in interest for the “Nina Rindt” Compax was no “inside job” or watch conspiracy at all. Instead, it is just a beautiful watch and thanks to the power of influential and credible voices, interest grew. The same happens with art, fashion, and other collectibles over time. Certain things can go up in value rapidly thanks to experts and tastemakers educating and influencing the market.

Again, you are speaking about your personal speculations as if they are a fact. Example: “But either way there is some business relationship happening there that leads to the watches being featured.” Sorry, that is absolutely wrong, at least for me and to my knowledge. I wrote out of passion and a desire to help people buy good watches rather than bad watches, while also calling out bad watches with “bidder beware” notices that I started.

If only I had made money on all the watches that I helped people sell through the What’s Selling Where / Bring A Loupe columns that I wrote! I had to say that as someone being written about in the article I laughed many times. It comes off as the delusional ranting of someone upset that values have increased significantly for certain timepieces. And last time I checked, there are still “actual ads” on HODINKEE.com and there have been for many years. You may have an adblocker so they do not appear.

I think it can be easy to imagine cabals and conspiracies at play shaping markets and the world, but at least in this case involving me you are as accurate as those who think 9/11 was an inside job and mankind never made it to the Moon.

I would like to close by saying I do agree with something you said and it is something I said many places including in the HODINKEE guide to buying watches on eBay. Ultimately, people should “buy what they like”. The future of collectible watches, like the future of any market, is not clear, but I believe that with proper education of the market and scholarship, collectible watches have a very strong future.

All the best,
Eric Wind
ericwind@gmail.com