Advice? Should the watch go back?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
KLR_Redux
Name: Karl

Advice? Should the watch go back?

Post by KLR_Redux » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:19 am

Gents- you know how you can look at a watch too much and pick out the nit-pickiest of flaws? I don't think this is one of these. Was looking at my new Orient Mako USA and noticed that the bezel insert doesn’t seem to be sitting flush like it does on my Pepsi Mako. Not sure if the new sapphire crystal sits lower than the old mineral crystal, but I have never had this much space on a watch. Am I off-base, or should I have Orient take a look?

Here is what it looks like:

Here it is with a scrap of paper inserted.

I drew a line where the paper stopped.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Re: Advice? Should the watch go back?

Post by jswing » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:27 am

I think I'd send Mako (or the seller) an email and ask if it's normal. Maybe it is, and then you don't have to worry about it, and if it's not get it replaced. Seems like it could possibly effect WR if it's not right.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:28 am

Is the bezel fully seated and does it turn ok?

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:30 am

no bueno - I've never handled one but I can't imagine that is safe around water with that gap like that.
Someone who has owned one will stop by and clarify

KLR_Redux

Post by KLR_Redux » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:43 am

dnslater wrote:Is the bezel fully seated and does it turn ok?
Yep, bezel turns just fine. The part that is sticking up is the thin metal insert into the bezel. If memory serves, Jay at MCWW popped the metal part out of my Pepsi Mako, cerakoted the bezel, then reinstalled it into the bezel. I don't think it would have any effect on WR, but is a good place to collect ick, and catch on stuff. Given how thin it is, looks like it would bend easily if struck since there is no support beneath.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:00 am

No idea if this is normal. As advised, ask Orient if it's bothering you. However, if the bezel turns fine and doesn't wobble or otherwise seem loose or misaligned, I imagine it's fine. Regardless, I don't believe this would have any affect on water resistance.

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Post by t20569cald » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:10 am

never handled this watch, but also never handled a watch that had the bezel seated like that.
I would certainly send those pics to Orient
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:21 am

Looks like they all have that? Not the older models though.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:02 am

rockmastermike wrote:no bueno - I've never handled one but I can't imagine that is safe around water with that gap like that.
The gap is between the bezel insert and crystal, so no impact on WR. Just bad tolerances by Orient. Probably not a good beach watch for this reason.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:27 am

dnslater wrote:
rockmastermike wrote:no bueno - I've never handled one but I can't imagine that is safe around water with that gap like that.
The gap is between the bezel insert and crystal, so no impact on WR. Just bad tolerances by Orient. Probably not a good beach watch for this reason.
Awesome, thanks - learned something new toady

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:04 am

Hard to say Karl. Looks like a semi-big gap, but have never seen this watch
in person, or up close. Only have a regular Mako, but it doesn't seem to have
a gap like this. ..Would maybe have Orient check it out if it's bothering you. :thumbsup:

KLR_Redux

Post by KLR_Redux » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:35 pm

Theory (via PM discussions) is that Orient went thinner when they switched to sapphire. With the standard crystal, the top of the bezel insert would touch the crystal. I think this was a bad (possibly money-saving) move.

braeburn

Post by braeburn » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:56 pm

I don't like that at all. That's going to be filled with sand, sand, more sand, and some other non describable stuff in a while.

If this is money saving by Orient then the brand is going even more downmarket to meet a price point that is not sustainable. It does not move your customers into the next product level but away from your brand almost completely.

What is really disappointing is that if this is the "new" Mako with upgraded sapphire and bracelet then they've really screwed the parts list and the fabrication process end to end. Either you are good or great and low cost, or just low cost and s**t.
Beaver? It's a damn badger - it even says so on the poster....
Gordo.

KLR_Redux

Post by KLR_Redux » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:21 pm

braeburn wrote:I don't like that at all. That's going to be filled with sand, sand, more sand, and some other non describable stuff in a while.

If this is money saving by Orient then the brand is going even more downmarket to meet a price point that is not sustainable. It does not move your customers into the next product level but away from your brand almost completely.

What is really disappointing is that if this is the "new" Mako with upgraded sapphire and bracelet then they've really screwed the parts list and the fabrication process end to end. Either you are good or great and low cost, or just low cost and s**t.
Especially since the bezel insert is a very thin sheet of easily bent metal. With no support, it will resemble a waveform in no time from relatively benign bumps against stuff.

braeburn

Post by braeburn » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:45 pm

KLR_Redux wrote:
braeburn wrote:I don't like that at all. That's going to be filled with sand, sand, more sand, and some other non describable stuff in a while.

Especially since the bezel insert is a very thin sheet of easily bent metal. With no support, it will resemble a waveform in no time from relatively benign bumps against stuff.
That's an excellent follow-up. The edges are unsupported if this is indicative of the production run. Crinkled edges may be the rule and then the bezel might not turn.

Lot going on here.
Last edited by braeburn on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaver? It's a damn badger - it even says so on the poster....
Gordo.

wolffram
Name: Tony

Post by wolffram » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:27 pm

I've just checked my Mako and its flush. That gap would definitely bug me. I've stopped wearing watches for less. Good luck with it.
Vanitas Vanitatum, Omnia Vanitas