You input is appreciated - weapons rule?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.

Do away with rule #6?

Do away with it, I'm fine with weapons pics in the right context.
61%
Keep it, weapons pics should be relegated to the rumble room.
17%
I don't care.
21%

Total votes: 70

SonnyD

Re: You input is appreciated - weapons rule?

Post by SonnyD » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:54 pm

DMB wrote:I got tired reading all of the stuff, so I'll just repeat what has been said by a few. I suggest, weapons are OK in all forums if they are used as a prop, or if it's a wrist shot of someone in uniform wearing a gun. If it's a thread about guns or knives, then put it in the RR. Hell, even TZ allows gun pics. Besides, I really don't see where all of the sudden things are gonna get stupid. We have had plenty of pics slip through the crappy moderating we mods do and nobody made a stink. VIVA LA WEAPONS !!!! ok, moving on.
I agree 100% There have been some nice firearm discussions in RR and it's always civil. I've never seen any distasteful pics
posted there either. At one time TZ allowed firearm and watch pics when I first became a member there around 98 or so, don't
hold me to the year, but it was quite a while ago. Then a few people complained that the pictures "frightened" them, and how
they couldn't believe anyone would own such a horrible thing. Pictures ended right after that and so did me going there. Not so
much because they banned the pictures but because some of the same people who complained, were all for telling everyone else
how they should live, and what they should do.....not very tolerant about it either.
Actually WUS will allow firearm pictures in the regular forums. Last year I think it was, someone posted a pic of shooting a shotgun
wearing one of their Suunto's. Someone complained and I guess Ernie yanked the picture. Jeff, the Suunto mod pitched a bitch, about
it just being a watch in action as in any other sport, and put the pic back up. Up it stayed and it's still there.
I don't think anyone is going to go hogwild and start posting bizzare pics. Another watch forum I'm a member of allows firearm pics in
any of it's forums. It doesn't do any good to complain there because they just laugh it off. The owner feels there are plenty other watch
forums around, and suggests they might be happier at a sight that is a little more PC. :roll:
Regards Sonny

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:24 pm

I voted for the first option. I trust the mods' judgment regarding what is acceptable and in context and believe the membership here would only ever post acceptable pics. It never ocurred to me that anyone might post pics of actual violence, but then that wouldn't be in context would it? I took "context" in the poll to mean using a weapon as a prop, or perhaps a simple, "Hey look, I've got a new Sig / Glock / 1911" or a picture of someone serving their country. Perhaps I'm sounding naive`, but I reckon we'd be pretty good at self-regulation anyway.

Bottom line: I'm happy to go with the majority; it's not that important to me - getting along with each other is far more important whatever the result of the poll. Over and out :salute:
Regards

Steve

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:31 pm

poppydog wrote: I reckon we'd be pretty good at self-regulation anyway.
This is the basic reason why I feel the way I do. I think the rule is moot and pointless on a forum of this caliber. IF, in the future, it gets out of hand - re-institute it. Until then, I don't think it really serves any purpose with the group we currently have and attract.
:htfu:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:15 am

bloozy wrote:
deepcdvr wrote:
I'm all about getting along with people in my old age.. :raised:

Can't we all just get a long?

I got a little long when I saw that picture. :clap:
Damn! Awesome pic, what were we talking about again?

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:41 am

I voted "I don't care" because I carry a gun and a knife every day so I find them neither offensive or all that exciting. I am all for pictures of Misty May-Treanor's ass in every thread, watch related or not.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:45 am

For a topic that might otherwise incite emotions to the point of anger, we have all been extraordinarily civil about this whole thing, which speaks volumes about the members here. And it gives me confidence that doing away with the rule will not lead to a slew of inappropriate weapons pics. In other words, everybody does a helluva job in self-moderation. :love:

One thing is odd though. 3 pages in and this thread still lacks a gun prop shot. Tom nailed the watch/knife shot, and we've got tail (thanks Paul :thumbsup: ), so only thing's missing is this...

crappy pic, but the best one i had on hand.

Watch: Seiko Sumo
Pistol: Kimber Pro CDP II
Knife: Benchmade 806 SD2 (discontinued)
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

meta4ick
Name: Rick

Post by meta4ick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:26 am

bloozy wrote:
deepcdvr wrote:
I'm all about getting along with people in my old age.. :raised:

Can't we all just get a long?

I got a little long when I saw that picture. :clap:

Bloozy, you make this place *special*.. .

Although I'm not big on guns for my personal use, I can appreciate looking at them. I think having a Rumble Room for certain topics has really been a stellar idea. This way people know what they're getting in the main forum, and know that they may get surprises in the Rumble Room. But at least the subject matter out in general population is harmless to all. I think that mindset will keep more people here, and provide an atmosphere where more people will stop by. This way the most amount of people can have what they want.

We don't want people to think this is a weapons forum; it's a watch forum.

I realize I am in the minority, but regardless of my preference, whichever way the decision goes won't influence my attendance.

Rick.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:34 am

BSears wrote:For a topic that might otherwise incite emotions to the point of anger, we have all been extraordinarily civil about this whole thing, which speaks volumes about the members here. And it gives me confidence that doing away with the rule will not lead to a slew of inappropriate weapons pics. In other words, everybody does a helluva job in self-moderation. :love:

One thing is odd though. 3 pages in and this thread still lacks a gun prop shot. Tom nailed the watch/knife shot, and we've got tail (thanks Paul :thumbsup: ), so only thing's missing is this...

I must be pretty good at handgun recognition for a Brit: I recognised that as a Kimber Pro before I'd scrolled to the bottom of your post.
Regards

Steve

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:51 am

There have been some great points presented in this thread guys. I'll keep this debate open for a few more days, but I am leaning towards keeping the general rule, but allowing prop shots that are watch-related.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:09 am

poppydog wrote:
BSears wrote:For a topic that might otherwise incite emotions to the point of anger, we have all been extraordinarily civil about this whole thing, which speaks volumes about the members here. And it gives me confidence that doing away with the rule will not lead to a slew of inappropriate weapons pics. In other words, everybody does a helluva job in self-moderation. :love:

I must be pretty good at handgun recognition for a Brit: I recognised that as a Kimber Pro before I'd scrolled to the bottom of your post.

Good eye, Steve. :thumbsup:

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:18 am

ezcheese wrote:... but I am leaning towards keeping the general rule, but allowing prop shots that are watch-related.
This is actually probably the only stance that I would disagree with. If we're going to have a rule - let's make it a rule and follow it. If we're not going to enforce it, let's do away with the rule completely and try self-moderation on the subject.

But having a rule that we're not going to enforce, except when deemed necessary, is probably the worst of both worlds. :shrug:

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:40 am

matt.wu wrote:
ezcheese wrote:... but I am leaning towards keeping the general rule, but allowing prop shots that are watch-related.
This is actually probably the only stance that I would disagree with. If we're going to have a rule - let's make it a rule and follow it. If we're not going to enforce it, let's do away with the rule completely and try self-moderation on the subject.

But having a rule that we're not going to enforce, except when deemed necessary, is probably the worst of both worlds. :shrug:

Actually, I have to say that as someone who spends his working day trying to enforce rules (and getting other staff to do so) I struggle with rules that aren't enforced. I always say that (at my work) there are few rules I have an opinion on, but whatever we do have, we have to follow. One or the other. Just my two-cents-worth. :shrug:
Regards

Steve

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:17 am

You know the thread poking fun at Oscar's Omega well I was checking out 3T's forum the WRUW thread just to see what type of watches most of them use and what did I see a Photo of a watch with a Knife O my god there was a knife in the photo.Now if 3T can be bigger than us for letting weapon's be prop's so can we or are they better than us for having less cry babies never thought I would say any thing good about 3T but they are better than us at allowing member's to post weapon's as prop's just my two cent's

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:31 am

Man im late for everything!

Heres my opinion:

We are a mature and smart bunch, if we can post the occasional gun picture, it wont be of a baby being shot or something disgusting. I doubt the sight of a firearm or weapon at all honestly upsets people, so far no member has said that.

I think we should be able to post our watches with the occasional gun or knife in the pic. If we want to show off a new weapon we bought (expect me to do this this week, INCOMING!) then we should put it in the RR or "music cars bikes" forum, because it doesnt have to do with watches.

this is fine IMO to put anywhere. Just me showing off my new gun and new watches i got from our Norwegian mods. :love:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:51 am

Now here is another these two kind of go together they are both British and both from WW2 I don't use weapon's much for prop's this is one of the few I think I got a Benrus Type II class A photo with a Knife this is a Timor WWW with a Sykes cammando knife.I see nothing wrong with this type of photo.And it has been posted at a few forum's one of the forum's was British ATG not a bad forum and they went more crazy over the knife than the watch.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:50 pm

River Rat wrote:Now here is another these two kind of go together they are both British and both from WW2 I don't use weapon's much for prop's this is one of the few I think I got a Benrus Type II class A photo with a Knife this is a Timor WWW with a Sykes cammando knife.I see nothing wrong with this type of photo.And it has been posted at a few forum's one of the forum's was British ATG not a bad forum and they went more crazy over the knife than the watch.

Now that's just about the coolest thing ever, Mike. :clap:

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:00 pm

demer03 wrote:
River Rat wrote:Since I am the one that most likely started this becouse I posted a photo of me when in the Navy holding a shot gun. I see nothing wrong if a weapon photo is taken when you are working it was what I call a tool of the trade like a wench to a plumber a weapon is a tool to a police officer or some one in the military it's a tool of the trade and legal for them to carry them it's part of there job.Me being a mod I some time's forget the rules I removed the photo from my thread becouse a mod should follow the rule's.
+1...besides...that picture was like the "History Channel"...

:banplz: Just kidding Rat!

I believe he just called you...OLD.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:07 pm

hazmatman wrote:
demer03 wrote:
River Rat wrote:Since I am the one that most likely started this becouse I posted a photo of me when in the Navy holding a shot gun. I see nothing wrong if a weapon photo is taken when you are working it was what I call a tool of the trade like a wench to a plumber a weapon is a tool to a police officer or some one in the military it's a tool of the trade and legal for them to carry them it's part of there job.Me being a mod I some time's forget the rules I removed the photo from my thread becouse a mod should follow the rule's.
+1...besides...that picture was like the "History Channel"...

:banplz: Just kidding Rat!

I believe he just called you...OLD.
Man that's messed up...a virtual old guy bitch slap!! :smack: :smack: :lol:

uspopo
Name: Stan

Post by uspopo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Okay what about this picture? It isn't a prop shot but an action shot and we don't know the details behind the pic. He could be training/practicing or actually defending or shooting at someone. Would this pic qualify as an act of violence even though we don't know story behind it. Just wanted to clarify things..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where we can see them."

Noisy Nova
Name: Dave

Post by Noisy Nova » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:35 pm

uspopo wrote:Okay what about this picture? It isn't a prop shot but an action shot and we don't know the details behind the pic. He could be training/practicing or actually defending or shooting at someone. Would this pic qualify as an act of violence even though we don't know story behind it. Just wanted to clarify things..
That's an action pic of a watch. Ya can't fool me. :rolleyes:
Dave
Image Image

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:54 pm

uspopo wrote:Okay what about this picture? It isn't a prop shot but an action shot and we don't know the details behind the pic. He could be training/practicing or actually defending or shooting at someone. Would this pic qualify as an act of violence even though we don't know story behind it. Just wanted to clarify things..
Not allowed - it's a Seiko.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:58 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Not allowed - it's a Seiko.

:bs:

:lol:

I see nothing violent about that pic as I don't see the intended target.

uspopo
Name: Stan

Post by uspopo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:22 am

Okay, no action shots with Seikos for Matt as they make him squeamish! Lmao!
"In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where we can see them."

Cowbiker
Name: Aqua-nut

Post by Cowbiker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:39 pm

merichar

Post by merichar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:31 pm

I voted I don't care. If people don't want to see weapons I guess I'll have to photoshop my hands out of the OTW shots. Am I the only one who noticed this jewel?

when you are working it was what I call a tool of the trade like a wench to a plumber
Mark