Grand Seiko 2015: Every new model and movement explained

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
TimelessLuxWatches
Name: Brett

Grand Seiko 2015: Every new model and movement explained

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:29 am

Grand Seiko Buyer's Guide 2015

Baselworld 2015 introduced a number of new Grand Seikos, but interestingly, it also failed to introduce a number more--that's right, about half of Grand Seiko's 2015 lineup actually went unmentioned and their fans basically left in the dark. We're here to correct that oversight and discuss every single new model, and yes, new movement, released in 2015.

The Automatics

The biggest news from Grand Seiko this year was the 62GS, and while the spring drive collection got two models, it was Grand Seiko's mechanical line that really won out with a whopping 6 models, 4 regular automatics and 2 Hi-Beats, paying homage to the classic automatic.

Interestingly, it was the regular automatic line that appeared most favored by Grand Seiko with regard to the 62GS, not the Hi-Beat. This kind of makes sense when you consider that the original 62GS wasn't a Hi-Beat either.

ImageImageImage

These four 9S65 powered models closely resemble the original with its famous off-centered crown. Since the 62GS was the first automatic Grand Seiko, a recessed and off-centered crown was used as a symbolic way of showing fans that you won't be using the crown to wind it very often. These are definitely the dressiest watches GS released this year thanks to their understated looks and relatively classic size of 37.6mm. The four versions released are the SBGR095 (steel), SBGR091 (white gold), SBGR092 (yellow gold) and SBGR094 (rose gold).

ImageImage

Grand Seiko continues with their 62GS homage in the Hi-Beat collection, releasing the SBGH037 and SBGH039. These are much more contemporary iterations of the original with only subtle nods to its predecessor and sport a much more modern case size of 40mm. Perhaps most interesting is the brown dialed SBGH039, a relatively rare addition in GS' lineup.

Grand Seiko finally gave us two new models that utilize last year's 9S86 Hi-Beat GMT movement, the SBGJ011 and SBGJ013. These two watches look terrific and offer a good alternative to those who skipped last year's SBGJ001 and SBGJ003. Perhaps most compelling aspect of these watches is their teak dial, reminiscent of the famous Omega Aqua Terra 8500.

While the SBGJ011 retains the SBGJ001's blued GMT hand, the SBGJ013 skips the red GMT hand from last year's model and instead takes the gold hand from the limited edition SBGJ005 and it looks terrific as a result. Another major change is the use of Seiko's proprietary high-intensity titanium although the 40mm size remains the same.

My favorite new Grand Seiko, however, is one of the unannounced models--the SBGR099 and its brethren, the blue dialed SBGR097 and black dialed SBGR101. We must start with the new movement--a new one based on the popular 9S65, the 9S61. It's basically identical except it loses the date complication which gives it a dressier look and more of that impressive GS dial work. Also, in losing the date mechanism, two jewels are rendered redundant and therefore the jewel count is now 33 instead of 35. The power reserve remains at 72 hours.

I think that these new watches just look stunning with their symmetrical dials and excellent legibility. The black and white dialed variants closely resemble the far more expensive and very popular SBGH001 and SBGH005 but are distinct enough to perhaps warrant even owning both.

Interestingly, although these seem to be aimed at dress watch aficionados, the size has been increased to 42mm, making them fairly substantial. Also note that the SBGR097's photo is pre-production and the watch will change a bit as Grand Seiko releases its official shots. The SBGR097 is also the only limited edition of the trio which just 500 pieces being made.

Grand Seiko also utilized the 9S61 in powering their two new ladies watches, the elegant STGR001 and STGR003. Currently, these are the only mechanical watches available from GS for ladies in America, the rest being quartz, but it's nice to see that they got a new mechanical movement.

The size is also quite good for a ladies automatic at 34.8mm. The STGR001, on bracelet, receives 37 diamonds on the dial and both receive a gorgeous guilloche white dial.

The Spring Drives

The spring drive line of watches wasn't totally left out of the 62GS party offering the stunning SBGA125 and SBGA127. Both of these watches feature the venerable 9R65 spring drive with the same extreme accuracy and 72 hour power reserve you know and love, but the SBGA125 features what we call the blizzard dial, a new take on the legendary Snowflake's more gentle snow drifts. Looking at the textured dial is reminiscent of a snow flurry.

The blue dialed SBGA127, conversely, features a beautiful blue sunburst and is basically an edgier version of last year's successful SBGA105 limited edition. Both are in Seiko's high-intensity titanium and are 40mm.

Grand Seiko also released (but failed to announce) a sporty new GMT watch, the SBGE033. This watch reminds me a bit of a very high-end Seiko Alpinist with its similar green sunburst dial. The watch is unique in that it features not only that green dial, but a white GMT chapter ring and red accents, as well as luminous hands and indices. This makes it the second sportiest model released from GS this year. It's powered by the 9R66, the GMT version of the 9R65 that powers watches like the Snowflake, and features better-than 15 second per month accuracy. The watch is a limited edition and the photo shown is a pre-production photo, so there will be some slight changes as the official photos are released.

Perhaps the most surprising entrant is another unannounced watch, the SBGC013. This is a new version of the SBGC001 and 003 chronograph and one of its big difference is obvious--it has an amazingly blue sunburst dial and gold accents. But more important differences are a little subtler. The stainless steel bezel, for instance, has been replaced by a ceramic tachymeter, a first for Grand Seiko. That will help increase scratch resistance quite significantly. Even more important is what's inside--the first 9R96 spring drive. This is basically the 9R86, the most complex movement in Grand Seiko's history, but turned up a notch by the master watchmakers to achieve better-than 10 second per month accuracy. It also receives a unique rotor with a special gold Grand Seiko medallion, as well as a gold medallion on the clasp. Elsewhere the watch is made from high-intensity titanium. Unfortunately this watch is very limited with only 300 pieces being made. Like most of the other limited editions here, this is a pre-production photo and minor changes might be made on the way to an official one.

The Quartz

It might surprise you to learn that no new quartz models were released this year--not a single one. It surprised us too, but then, like the spring drive (which received no full production models for 2015), it had a really big 2014, so I think Grand Seiko really wanted the attention to be on its mechanical line this year.

The Conclusion

All in all, another great year for Grand Seiko. Of course it's hard, almost impossible even, to beat their award-winning 2014, and I suspect they're really building up to an epic 2016 and were also a bit distracted by the 50th anniversary of Seiko's first dive watch which directed the company's attention towards their Prospex line. But they did make some significant changes that will be felt for years to come, most important being the 9S61 movement which has created an all-new subset of both men's and women's Grand Seikos. It's also encouraging to see the 9R96 update which will hopefully be rolled into future special editions.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Re: Grand Seiko 2015: Every new model and movement explaine

Post by jswing » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks Brett. I can't decide which I like best, right now it's between the SBGH037 hi-beat, SBGA125 spring drive, or SBGR no-date. But really, I'd wear any one of them. Except maybe the chrono. The chrono has the cool new movement, but aesthetically it seems a little off.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:01 pm

:threadjack:

Are they still producing the 8L35-0010 Marine Master?

TimelessLuxWatches

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:16 pm

There will be a few 8L35 powered Prospexes this year actually. I'll write up a buyer's guide for the Prospexes eventually but it's so unclear which ones are coming to the US right now and there are so few photos that it's kind of tricky.

Going to be a very good year for Prospex though--big expansion to the line, a new movement (at least, new to Prospex) derived from the GS 9S85, lots of ceramic case options and even a new case material called Cermet, a ceramic/metallic hybrid.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 pm

I love Seiko

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:25 pm

TimelessLuxWatches wrote:There will be a few 8L35 powered Prospexes this year actually. I'll write up a buyer's guide for the Prospexes eventually but it's so unclear which ones are coming to the US right now and there are so few photos that it's kind of tricky.

Going to be a very good year for Prospex though--big expansion to the line, a new movement (at least, new to Prospex) derived from the GS 9S85, lots of ceramic case options and even a new case material called Cermet, a ceramic/metallic hybrid.
I really hope they'll put the high beat in a case that isn't 48mm x 20mm thick. :pray:

homathetes
Name: Andrew

Post by homathetes » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:57 pm

I can't get over how gorgeous the 62GS is

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:10 pm

TimelessLuxWatches wrote:

This one is a joke made with Photoshop, right?

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:35 pm

homathetes wrote:I can't get over how gorgeous the 62GS is
+1 :shock:

TimelessLuxWatches

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:05 pm

gonzomantis wrote:

Lol, the watch is real, but I did make that in Photoshop (based on photos of the real thing).

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Real photos of everything would go a long way.
only accurate watches are interesting

TimelessLuxWatches

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:38 pm

I agree, but we have not been allowed to see them (decent photos that is). Even at Baselworld, most of these were not available to view. We are very fortunate just to be allowed to see a tiny printout of them (maybe 1 by 2 inches) from which I can Photoshop something. If it weren't for that, it would be months before people could even see these facsimiles.

Not helping matters is the fact that I'm clearly no photoshop pro.
Last edited by TimelessLuxWatches on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:32 pm

Tnx.
only accurate watches are interesting

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:00 am

That's very helpful and informative. Thanks a lot.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:01 am

gonzomantis wrote:

Lol, the watch is real, but I did make that in Photoshop (based on photos of the real thing).
Also, that's a seriously ugly watch. Those pushers remind me of national geographic nipples.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:12 am

Woohoo, some fantastic looking watches Brett !!! :clap:

Am having a tough time picking a favorite in here, but if I had to it would be the
SBGEO33, and SBGC013. The look of those, along with their complications, and
dial colors rock ! :headbang: Had not seen either of those, or many of these actually,
so thanks a lot ! ..Really appreciate it sir.

TimelessLuxWatches

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:05 am

This is probably a good time to mention that we're doing the free Prospex with any new-for-2015 Grand Seiko thing through April too.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:10 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
gonzomantis wrote:

Also, that's a seriously ugly watch. Those pushers remind me of national geographic nipples.
GS chrono's always use that kind of pushers, they are the only thing I don't like on their chrono's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TimelessLuxWatches

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:54 am

Yeah, for some reason GS is wed to the idea of large screwdown pushers even though it's not a diver. I actually love how the normal one looks though, the SBGC001, on the wrist. And the pusher feel is great because there's a lot of travel in it, and a very clear two stage progression, like a high quality camera shutter switch.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:02 am

TimelessLuxWatches wrote:Yeah, for some reason GS is wed to the idea of large screwdown pushers even though it's not a diver. I actually love how the normal one looks though, the SBGC001, on the wrist. And the pusher feel is great because there's a lot of travel in it, and a very clear two stage progression, like a high quality camera shutter switch.
Great reviews also Brett, there is a bunch of GS love here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.