Speedbird III

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
carlodwc

Speedbird III

Post by carlodwc » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:16 am

This is one watch I had wanted to own or at least see in person for quite a while. Thanks to another great WIS - Tallguy - I was able to get it and finally fulfill my desire. The deal was flawless and much appreciated, Steve is a gentleman in all respects as everyone on this forum already knows. :thumbsup:

This is the second Timefactors watch and right off the bat I can tell that this is a great quality watch just like the other one.

The Speedbird III is a 39mm steel cased watch with 20mm lugs, the crystal, to my surprise, in addition to being thick and solid, is slightly domed which is an awesome touch.

The pilot styling is what I like and the hands shape is what sets it apart from the other pilot watches. It is unfortunately a copy of another pilot watch made in the past by IWC, down to the bracelet. I said unfortunately because it was not an original idea/design, but that does not in any way detract from the watch quality or functionality. This is a real watch, not a cheap piece of junk. The movement on these new Speedbird III watches is in fact a top grade ETA 2824. :grin:

The crown is screw down and smooth, the movement keeps great time and the dial/hands are very legible in most lighting conditions. I even got compliments on this watch on the one day I wore it, it is great looking and visible. :thumbsup:

There are only a couple of things that I wish could be changed. The first one is that at 39mm it is a little small for me and my wrist. The 20mm lugs are also thin and these factors make the watch smaller looking as well. I have not tried the bracelet yet which is apparently very comfortable and high quality too, so maybe that can make a difference. My wish is that this would be 42-42mm maybe with 22mm lugs. :shrug:

The only other minor issue is that the hands have a bit less lume then the dial, as one can see from the pictures. They are usable for 3-4 hours when dark, but the lume on the hands fades a little faster then the one on the markers. Not a problem really but just a nit pick for me mostly because I like lume. This does not affect the watch readability in normal conditions and the watch looks awesome in daylight. :grin:

If I can't get over the size factor, I might end up re-cycling it (selling or trading it) or possibly I would love to replace the hands with some other high quality ones to improve the night time readability. I have some ideas and will decide in the next few days. It is a watch worth having easily competing with more expensive ones from other famous pilot watch makers. :thumbsup:

Here are a few quick shots.

alund
Name: Alan

Re: Speedbird III

Post by alund » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:22 am

I do like it. Has a very clean look...

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:31 am

:thumbsup:

speedbird is on my short-list of possible upgrades for my maratac mid pilot. glad to see you like it. 39mm works well for me, but i know that's small for some.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Carlo, this is nice ! Really nice !!! :love: Has a timeless look that is always classic,
but always eye-catching, and intriguing. At first it seems so simple, but then
you see just how many cool things are going on design wise. From the case,
and hand styles, to the markers it rocks sir ! :headbang:

P.S. I hope you decide to keep it. The size seems fine from here !

Big congrats Carlo ! ENJOY !

Oilers Fan
Name: Landon

Post by Oilers Fan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:16 pm

That's the other Timefactors watch I have been interested in. I will own one at some point. Congrats Carlo, it's a beauty!

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:57 am

Thank you and yeah, it's a great example of a small production quantity company that produce decent quality watches. Lots to like on this one... I too wish it would work for me...

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:28 pm

I had the creme colored dial and I really liked it. My only complaint was how small the minute hand was. Other than that it was a super robust feeling watch for the price. It seemed like it could take on anything I could throw at it.

Here are some pics of it:

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:22 am

Thank you Terry, my original idea was to get both color dials in fact... but I think at this point I will just go for a little tweak to balance things out on an otherwise great looking face. :grin:

oldhooky
Name: OldHooky

Post by oldhooky » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:57 am

Great choice Carlo. They are excellent watches. I've had two (not at the same time!) and only flipped them when funds were needed for a grail. Outstanding quality in every aspect, and the bracelet is as good as the IWC.

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:20 am

oldhooky wrote:Great choice Carlo. They are excellent watches. I've had two (not at the same time!) and only flipped them when funds were needed for a grail. Outstanding quality in every aspect, and the bracelet is as good as the IWC.
Thank you and good to know. I have not yet try the bracelet in fact. In truth I don't really like the design of the links all that much but I can see that it might be very comfortable... :grin: But first things first... ;)

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Speedbird III

Post by Tallguy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks for the kind words Carlo. One thing about this watch; it is a fairly substantial/chunky case for its size.

Great pics!

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:54 am

Tallguy wrote:Thanks for the kind words Carlo. One thing about this watch; it is a fairly substantial/chunky case for its size.

Great pics!
Thank you for the great deal and great watch. It is substantial but not in a excessive way. I think that the thick and domed sapphire and the anti-magnetic shield are responsible for part of that, of course this means that it is a solid watch in all senses. :thumbsup: