Any Zixen lovers here?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Willieboy
Name: Bill

Any Zixen lovers here?

Post by Willieboy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:16 am

Guys, I pre-ordered a Zixen Heliox 3000m last week. Over on WUS, there seems to be scant interest in this watch and I'm beginning to feel some buyer's remorse. This will be my first Zixen. I've always had the impression Zixen produced stout, well made watches. What has been your experience with Zixen? Have I gone off half-cocked by pre-ordering the Heliox? Your thoughts/pics would be appreciated.

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Any Zixen lovers here?

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:20 am

I've always liked his designs, yet somehow never hot around to owning one. I think they are a step up from Helson/Armida and the like.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:52 am

Zinex/Zixen is one of my favorite micro brand watch companies. Joe has consistently been producing good looking vintage inspired designs with very good build quality. I have owned or handled just about every dive model he has produced.

I owned the original Heliox Super-Sub 2000m. I loved the design of the watch but I sold it when I was raising funds for my Ploprof. The 2000m Heliox wore very large and looked very large as well due to the large dial diameter, slightly big for me. Overall though, design and build quality were outstanding. If you like large divers you will love this watch. I'm still contemplating buying one. :grin:

Here's a few pics of my original 2000m Heliox Super-Sub....

(For reference, I have a 7 1/4" wrist)

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:03 am

I've owned a Zixen Nitrox II and currently have a Trimix. I like the quality and look of the brand overall, but they are substantial watches and even with a 7.75 wrist, I probably wouldn't want to venture beyond 44mm, which is why the new Heliox 3000 doesn't entice me. At 46mm and 3000m WR, I suspect it'll be chunkier than I want.
No, it's not Tourettes.

Abmw

Post by Abmw » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:12 am

I own two Zinex now and the quality is definitely excellent. However you will take a big hit if you decide to sell later even on a pre-order discount. When I pre-ordered my DSR 500 and DSR 1000 I wasnt too happy when I saw the price online after release was almost the same price as the pre-order price. There was no point in me putting my deposit money months ahead when I could have just waited. Aside from that I have been very happy with mine.
"My balls was hot" - Derrick Lewis

Willieboy

Post by Willieboy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:32 am

46mm is large to be sure. The JSAR is the same dial diameter. I'm okay with the JSAR so I expect the Heliox will be fine for me.

BTW ChuckW, you are doing wonders for the popularity of women's tennis.

Willieboy

Post by Willieboy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:38 am

DEMO wrote:Zinex/Zixen is one of my favorite micro brand watch companies. Joe has consistently been producing good looking vintage inspired designs with very good build quality.
Demo, can you give me examples of what vintage designs inspired the Heliox design?

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:50 am

I like Zixen, the watch designs and he is a good guy.
It's a solid micro and they tend to produce large watches and too large for me. I've owned several and they were fine from an aesthetic and quality standpoints.
They have horrible and among the worst resale value. Ridiculous in fact and surprising given the had a strong following. Their offering price seems high to me especially vs other micros which are also putting out quality products. But value varies from one person to another.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 am

Cool vintage dive watches with good CS. I didn't find the quality to be any better than Helson or Armida. Resale is awful as others have stated. I would only buy used in the future.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:36 am

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 am

It may be influenced a little by the Omegas of the period too.Image

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:03 pm

Zixen is sweet. I totally disagree about being on the same par as Armida and the like. One of the best quality micros out there.
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Based on my experience with Zixen and other micros I'd say Zixen is comparable in quality to the Benarus of the last 2 years and Raven. But how does one measure quality?

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:26 pm

Willieboy wrote:46mm is large to be sure. The JSAR is the same dial diameter. I'm okay with the JSAR so I expect the Heliox will be fine for me.

BTW ChuckW, you are doing wonders for the popularity of women's tennis.
Oh, how I miss Anna!

No, it's not Tourettes.

VA Diver
Name: Lee

Post by VA Diver » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:Based on my experience with Zixen and other micros I'd say Zixen is comparable in quality to the Benarus of the last 2 years and Raven. But how does one measure quality?
I'm still really new and ignorant in this game but wouldn't materials and engineering specs be useful in assessing quality? There will always be a bit of subjectivity to it but I'd think those are good places to start.

To the OP's question, I love the look of Zixens.
Image Image

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:50 pm

VA Diver wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:Based on my experience with Zixen and other micros I'd say Zixen is comparable in quality to the Benarus of the last 2 years and Raven. But how does one measure quality?
I'm still really new and ignorant in this game but wouldn't materials and engineering specs be useful in assessing quality? There will always be a bit of subjectivity to it but I'd think those are good places to start.

To the OP's question, I love the look of Zixens.
Yeah sure but between many of those micros how do u objectively say one is better than that other when many come for the same factory in the first place or some similar pace in HK.
Specs are similar and competitive. Say compare a Zixen 500m diver vs a Benarus and a raven and a Armida 500m diver. All to me have a nice acceptable brushed finish that seem the same. Bezel action is close in my experience too and they all use the ubiquitous Eta2824 or Myota mvt. Crown actions wasn't better in my Zixen's than my other above brands.. They all can so sapphire inlay etc... It's becoming more difficult to differentiate quality between such micros IMO. I think It's mostly subjective and often down to people's preference (due to CS or brand image or owner but not necessarily quality of the watch per se) when you see someone stating this brand (I.e. Zixen) has better quality than that one (Armida, Benarus...) I think it's subjective and not so true measure of quality.
That said when I handled a Armida A2 or A7 I did feel that it "felt" cheaper :) not sure why, not so with their A1 for example.

Willieboy

Post by Willieboy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:43 pm

I've owned a gaggle of micros and have had positive experiences with most. Some though, IMO fell short in the quality control department and I've avoided those brands since. What I look for is smooth but controlled bezel movement, Bezels should offer some resistance and not turn because they been bumped or brushed against a wet suit sleeve. I like the same characteristics in the stem. It has to be smooth and engage the case smoothly. No grit allowed. In quartz watches, the second hand has to land on the markers. Finally, because they're dive watches, they have to be built like a tank to withstand the rigors of a diving, even though I can no longer withstand those same rigors. If the watch meets these requirements, I'm okay with it. Not all watches I've purchased from the micro brands have met these simple criteria, while others have met them in spades.