Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

SNPR Straps review- the art of "giving the run around"

Post by BBK357 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:59 am

SNPR Strap maker/Joe- getting teh run around, full review :

This is a long story but I'll include as much of the factual information I can to get the point across. I also posted pics of emails and PM's to show proof that I am not a troll.

In the fall of 2012 my brother ordered a strap from Joe aka SNPR Straps for me as a birthday present. He also discussed options for a strap he was wanting for his Rolex Sub. There was an order mix-up/miscommunication/whatever. I brought this up to Joe in a thread where he was getting bashed (yeah it may have been bad timing) but explained that's why I've never done anymore business with him. I previously had him make a strap and was happy with it (December 2011). I explained that I had a bad taste in my mouth after this and he actually sent me a PM and we talked about it.
He was nice enough to actually offer a refund or make me a completely new strap. Feeling bad about taking money I decided that I'd have him make a new strap and if I liked it I was gonna order another for full price just to show that I appreciate his good work/business ethic in fixing this problem even though it was over a year old. The old strap (gift from my brother, which he was not gonna give me until it was fixed but it took so long I told him I would take it how it was) was long gone as I tried to wear it but it had white stitching and 16610 stamped on it which made it hard for me to like, I think I sold it to Brice for like $30 since I also stretched out a hole. This happened in January:

So we emailed back and forth, even more PM's as communication was getting a bit spotty and settled and chose the leather and custom order details for my strap. When he did email me back he was very helpful in discussing what I was looking for:

And..... The last time I heard from him was on February 26th.

I sent multiple emails and PM's, all friendly, just to see what was up with the strap and I never got any kind of response. I even commented on one of his recent threads asking if he is receiving PM's:

I'm completely befuddled by this as I was about to kick the remaining dirt on the hatchet and was looking forward to seeing his new leather work.

As he explained to me in a PM in January, he is now on another level than "forum strap makers" and his work shows. He now has "VIP clients" and multiple orders coming in daily. Maybe me, a common man who is just a watch forum member doesn't add up to the guys in Boyz 2 Men or Bell Biv Devoe or whoever the hell it was he made a strap for this past year. Am I Big Boi or Cee lo Green? No. I am not. I am just a watch enthusiast who was looking forward to one of his straps and giving him more business. But in the end I wound up with a dick in my butt.
I guess I'll stick to my honest, friendly and hard working "forum strap makers" even though, according to Joe they are on a lower level.

Thanks for viewing and a special thanks to my DWC brothers and the countless hassle free deals we've done.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Re: SNPR Straps review- the art of

Post by unixshrk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Damn

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Re: SNPR Straps review- the art of "giving the run around"

Post by Terpits » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Wow
:rimshot:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:15 pm

BBK357 wrote:... But in the end I wound up with a dick in my butt.
Odd turn of phrase. Sounds like a total pain in the ass.

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Wow, that sucks man.

4pfrench
Name: Paul

Post by 4pfrench » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:24 pm

i dont think you are being unreasonable at all - maybe you should have brought it up earlier, but he didnt claim a "statute of limitations" on the issue and in my opinion, once he agreed, he should have stepped up and finished it...

And as far as "forum strap maker" quality , I agree. i've ordered multiples from Micah, Greg Stevens, Drew and another maker or two - but wouldn't order another from Joe.

Rackness
Name: Jason

Post by Rackness » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:31 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:... But in the end I wound up with a dick in my butt.
Odd turn of phrase. Sounds like a total pain in the ass.
Or was it a STRAP-on!

Ok sorry couldn't help myself. That situation sucks it seems to be an all to common theme with small/micro/boutique manufacturers that gain popularity quickly on forums. Not all of course but enough to make me hesitate from purchasing goods untill the company has a track record, which if I'm honest very often means I have missed the boat on the lastest and greatest new sensation items but such is life.

Hopefully you receive your items. If not perhaps you should pursue a career in 90's R&B/hip hop, then you too can be a VIP.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:40 pm

^^^

Thanks for the responses so far guys. To be honest I'm not out anything except for a b-day present from my brother. This wasn't written as a "poor me" it was written as a warning even though he obviously makes some people around here happy.
I guess I am pretty bummed as I was pretty excited when I was browsing his work and picked out a cool looking strap.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

unixshrk
This. Truth.

Post by unixshrk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:43 pm

BBK357 wrote:^^^

Thanks for the responses so far guys. To be honest I'm not out anything except for a b-day present from my brother. This wasn't written as a "poor me" it was written as a warning even though he obviously makes some people around here happy.
I guess I am pretty bummed as I was pretty excited when I was browsing his work and picked out a cool looking strap.
Maybe he will see this and fix you up :)

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:52 pm

unixshrk wrote:

Maybe he will see this and fix you up :)
Hopefully. Too bad it would take this type measure to get it done. Ben your bro is out the $ - not right.

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:56 pm

I have bought straps from a variety of guys. I now have a fucking quart zip lock full of them all the way to the top. Micah, Stone Creek, Drew, tried to get one of Joe's straps but had no luck contacting him and immediately bailed, zulu, nato, yada yada yada.

I buy my straps from one guy now - Drew.

I am considering a strap from Stewart for my Seiko 6139 chrono.... dig his rally style. But most importantly, never a poor word is said regarding Stewart's work, contact, delivery.

Buy the seller is a lesson that proves itself over and over again. So, Ben, thanks for the info. I did not read every line, but the drift I get is this: You were not a satisfied customer, and nothing was done to fix that situation. All in all it was quite a bit of aggravation, and not obtaining what it was that you sought for your brother's birthday is not a small deal; that is a very big deal.... at least in my family per my wife.

I would add... I would not hesitate to buy another strap from Micah. He was great to deal with and he offers a lifetime of satisfaction warranty. I have enjoyed the one strap he made for me quite a bit.

TR
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Maybe I have missed these threads...but I don't think he sells that many straps here. I would guess others have had similar experiences; I know I have. Maybe it's because we aren't global VIPs Ben?
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Ouch, I don't know what to say. I never ordered a strap from Joe because of them being too expensive IMHO, suspect he gives some around here a break from his advertised price. Anyway I have inquired a couple of times and got prompt responses. Again, never went past a couple of PM's.
Sorry to hear about this.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Didn't he start out here with his own sub-forum? Kinda piss-poor way of remembering your roots.

I know some folks like his stuff, and for good reason, but I did notice his prices jump pretty high over the past six months.

Sorry you had to deal with this. Micah and others guarantee the strap. Apparently, Joe can't even guarantee a reply.

:whistle:
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

bzabodyn
Name: BZ

Post by bzabodyn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Sounds familiar to my experience. Only difference is I got the strap eventually.

BZ
--> Brandon

Instagram @bzabodyn214

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Bummer. Sorry to hear of this, Ben.

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Lol @ dik in the butt.
Pasquale

NSC

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:38 pm

For the record I'm not a big strap guy but I tend to order a couple a year.
My first custom strap was before my DWC days with Micah. Perfect transaction and bought from him again last year. Love his ammo straps.
I've bought a handful of canvas straps from Drew but never any leather. I need to fix that....
And Stewart/Heureville. He was great. His straps are top notch and he sent me a free strap as it was a leather he was trying out. I honestly think his straps have the best aroma- ever.

So those 3 are top notch in my book. Great communication and excellent product. I guess I shouldn't expect that from other strap makers even though they are members here which is a shame.

Micah-
Heureville-
Drew-
Last edited by BBK357 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

unixshrk
This. Truth.

Post by unixshrk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:51 pm

BBK357 wrote:For the record I'm not a big strap guy but I tend to order a couple a year.
My first custom strap was before my DWC days with Micah. Perfect transaction and bought from him again last year. Love his ammo straps.
I've bought a handful of canvas straps from Drew but never any leather. I need to fix that....
And Stewart/Heureville. He was great. His straps are top notch and he sent me a free strap as it was a leather he was trying out. I honestly think his straps have the best aroma- ever.

So those 3 are top notch in my book. Great communication and excellent product. I guess I shouldn't expect that from other strap makers even though they are members here which is a shame.

Micah-
Heureville-
Drew-
Three fantastic choices Ben

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. I just bought my first strap from Joe that's scheduled to arrive today. It was a pre-made offering, though, not custom. I remember when BJstraps was very popular until he began treating his customers with shabby indifference. Some of his fanboys made lame, bullshit excuses for him like, "He only does this part time," or "He's a craftsman, not into mass production." I say, if you can't handle the volume, don't accept the business. Tell people up front who want to place orders that you're backlogged and if there's a significant delay, don't just ignore them.

I can respect someone who's a craftsman as long as I get respect as a customer.
No, it's not Tourettes.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:09 pm

I remember you asking in some of the threads about the strap but I thought you were fcking with him.

I just can't stop thinking of another dck in ur butt

unixshrk
This. Truth.

Post by unixshrk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:10 pm

toxicavenger wrote:I remember you asking in some of the threads about the strap but I thought you were fcking with him.

Takes so little to turn you on nowadays

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:12 pm

unixshrk wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:I remember you asking in some of the threads about the strap but I thought you were fcking with him.

Takes so little to turn you on nowadays
it does, i have been taking fenugreek :shifty:

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:15 pm

ChuckW please change your sig. I keep thinking you're Adam.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:23 pm

lilhoody wrote:ChuckW please change your sig. I keep thinking you're Adam.
You're not the only one.