BENARUS SEA DEVIL?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

BENARUS SEA DEVIL?

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Just got offered one in a trade. Anyone have one and can give me some thoughts? Pics would be great too, of course!

THANKS you enablers... :fro:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Re: BENARUS SEA DEVIL?

Post by SCM64 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Here is a detailed review from an oldie but a goodie. ;)

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread ... +sea+devil
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 pm

had one, here are some pics! My wrist is 7 3/8- 7 1/2..

here is a pic with your old JSAR to compare it to..

Image Image Image
Trevor

merichar

Post by merichar » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:50 pm

Its a real solid watch with a Miyota 8215 movement, they presold for 350 with the rest sold at 500 until gone (550 for the PVD). I believe there were six variations with 300 total made, all sold out now. Here's a picture of the two I have with a Holotype for size reference. Watch came with two watch case, flip-lock and dual deployant clasps and rubber strap, stainless bracelet and leather strap plus changing tools.

Mark

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:59 pm

big chunk of metal... it's wears pretty big. nice watch. our wrist size is similar so you can get an idea from the pics

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:39 am

Yeah, might be too big.. I've got plenty of bigger watches and have been leaning towards smaller models lately. Steven, how did it compare (size wise) to the U1? I haven't read your review yet, but thanks.

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:09 am

I had the yellow SD for a while and sold it when I got banned from 3T. I was irritated that they, as a company, would use a public forum that was inaccessible to customers.

The watch came with a LOT of stuff. 2 leather straps, a rubber and a bracelet. 2 deployments, tools, leather bound book, and the watch itself. The stuff was all ok -- the leather straps with thick but stiff as hell. The bracelet is the same one used by all the micro brands and is also nicely done.

The watch itself was huge. HUGE. Bigger than the UTS 1000m by a ton, bigger than my Seal, bigger than anything I've owned to compare it to. It was also top heavy. I really liked the heft, and I liked wearing it quite a bit, but it was a scratch magnet and the case was soft. Its time keeping was average... lost about 10 secs a day.

I liked it, but I wouldn't buy another.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:18 am

Thanks! I love honest reviews.. too many out there say their watches are "the best thing ever invented since thongs" and then flip them 3 days later.. :fro:

I'm going to pass on this one. I think they look great in pictures and the watch is definitely worth the bucks, but it's just too big for my manyly wrist.

Thanks again! :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Crue4
Name: Britt

Post by Crue4 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:16 am

Nice looking for a beater but too big and thick and lugs are really long too which I don't like. Don't care for that 24mm bracelet just don't like 24mm size on a bracelet. But it is a good looking dial and hand combo.

Crue4
Name: Britt

Post by Crue4 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:18 am

Wow I think every time I post my post count gets smaller, I guess I am a noobie again!

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 am

deepcdvr wrote:Yeah, might be too big.. I've got plenty of bigger watches and have been leaning towards smaller models lately. Steven, how did it compare (size wise) to the U1? I haven't read your review yet, but thanks.

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:
The review is from Beyond the Box, not me, so can't give a U1 comparison. I like the look though, but might be thicker than what you typically like... :think: :shrug:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

watchu2

Post by watchu2 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:03 am

Any Benarus is a great watch for the money. You cannot go wrong in my opinion. They are big though.

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:00 am

And that's EXACTLY where I disagree with the Benarus fans. Its really NOT a lot of watch for the money... its a lot of stuff for the money.

I bought a loaded Saturn for commuting a few years ago. Leather, 6 disc with sub, power everything, sunroof, cruise, the works. But the leather wasn't Corinthian, the stereo wasn't a Bang and Olufsen..... get the picture?

The Sea Devil gives you 3 or 4 straps. GREAT. Except the leather is like a BRICK. I just paid nearly $100 for a leather strap alone and its so soft its absurd. Quality over quantity. Their bracelet is great, except its a little loose and is of a soft grade of stainless. Scratched easily... Same with the case. Nicely machined, but a scratch magnet. Less expensive steel = less expensive case.

The movement is an 8215. $31 from Ofrei.com right now today.... http://www.ofrei.com/page625.html

I'm not a hater. I think the Sea Devil is sweet looking. I like the watch. But its not a Rolex, its not a Fricker, and its definitely not a UTS. It doesn't look or feel like a rich mans watch. Its just big and colorful.

Worth $350? Sure. $500? Nah. Would I own another? Not likely. I'd focused on quality not quantity now.

Seth

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:19 am

It's a pretty cool desk diver, just cant see it on the wrist of a Para Rescue Master Chief! :salute: Paul that thing is about twice as thick as the U1!! You've got too many bad-ass watches to even use this one for a beater!!! There i said it, flame on Benarus fans! :tap:
Image Image Image
Trevor

Pallet Spoon

Post by Pallet Spoon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:26 am

I like mine and feel it was a good value for the money. Of course you can only wear one strap at a time and I am usually a bracelet guy, so this one was good right out of the box.

The styling is nice and simple but yet it has a ton of presence. It is HUGE mostly because of the thickness. I had a guy nearly offer to buy mine right off my wrist this past summer. I disagree with the poster above ... there is not a lot in the market place at this price point that compares. Watches with the features you list are generally 1000 + . The fit and finish on mine at least is outstanding. I did not have a single issue with anything as rec'd.

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:19 am

Please don't misread what I wrote. I think a LOT of the package. Its well designed, attractive, and extremely well marketed. Obviously you get a lot of goodies... straps, travel case, tools, deployments, etc...

But none of it is top grade stuff. Its all decent, looks nice, and works as advertised. That Saturn was a perfectly fine little car, but it wasn't a BMW. The devil (pun intended) is in the details.

Benarus isn't going to lose money (ya can't eat debt), so they're having to source parts from manufacturers that can make what they want to market inexpensively. That means that while it is a well assembled, attractive package, its not a no holds barred, no expense spared product. If it were, it would use a different movement, a different grade of steel for the case, different people assembling them, and ultimately cost substantially more. I think we can all agree on that.

Its a fine watch and I enjoyed wearing it. I lost a few bucks on the deal, but I'm not sorry I owned it. It light a fire of interest for me.

sinner
Closet Baller
Name: Sum Ting Wong

Post by sinner » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:30 am

Like the look; probably get what you pay for. Has anybody actually taken one of these diving?

watchu2

Post by watchu2 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Seth wrote:And that's EXACTLY where I disagree with the Benarus fans. Its really NOT a lot of watch for the money... its a lot of stuff for the money.

I bought a loaded Saturn for commuting a few years ago. Leather, 6 disc with sub, power everything, sunroof, cruise, the works. But the leather wasn't Corinthian, the stereo wasn't a Bang and Olufsen..... get the picture?

The Sea Devil gives you 3 or 4 straps. GREAT. Except the leather is like a BRICK. I just paid nearly $100 for a leather strap alone and its so soft its absurd. Quality over quantity. Their bracelet is great, except its a little loose and is of a soft grade of stainless. Scratched easily... Same with the case. Nicely machined, but a scratch magnet. Less expensive steel = less expensive case.

The movement is an 8215. $31 from Ofrei.com right now today.... http://www.ofrei.com/page625.html

I'm not a hater. I think the Sea Devil is sweet looking. I like the watch. But its not a Rolex, its not a Fricker, and its definitely not a UTS. It doesn't look or feel like a rich mans watch. Its just big and colorful.

Worth $350? Sure. $500? Nah. Would I own another? Not likely. I'd focused on quality not quantity now.

Seth

At what price point do you get better stainless steel? I was not aware that my Rolex sub scratched any less than my Sea Devil. You are correct, it's not a Rolex. I don't think anyone shopping this price point is looking for a rich man's watch, whatever that means. It is a great watch for the price range. Unique, reliable, well constructed, great lume, and Ralf and Steve back the product up with great customer service.
Where can you buy a fricker cased watch or UTS for this price range? Not a good comparison in my opinion.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:01 pm

cali kid wrote:It's a pretty cool desk diver, just cant see it on the wrist of a Para Rescue Master Chief! :salute: Paul that thing is about twice as thick as the U1!! You've got too many bad-ass watches to even use this one for a beater!!! There i said it, flame on Benarus fans! :tap:
Hey, Trevor!

Do me a favor and edit this post slightly... There are people who google 'Para Rescue' and could end up here that I'd just as soon not give me crap at work for frequenting a watch site.. :lol: I don't really give a sh!t if they know I like watches, just not that I occasionally surf from work which would be easy to do if you look at the time that I post :shock:

No big deal, really, I'm just covering my 'six'..

THANKS, brother!

Last edited by DMB 1911hrs
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:14 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I have reached THE END OF THE INTERNET...

You guys ROCK! :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

GGD

Post by GGD » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:00 pm

I had one for about 5 mins :lol:

I got in on the pre-order for a PVD / Blue dial..... I reckon you'd find it too big to be honest.

It's an OK watch, not my favourite Benarus, but I don't think you'd be a fan..... FWIW :scratch:

I'll try and chase up some pics.....

Sooner

Post by Sooner » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:55 am

GGD wrote:I had one for about 5 mins :lol: It's an OK watch
I had mine for about 2 months. It's OK for what you pay, but ultimately one that I just got bored with.