Watch Forums are ruining my Rolex plans...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
SpaceCowboy
Name: Arne

Watch Forums are ruining my Rolex plans...

Post by SpaceCowboy » Thu May 29, 2014 12:02 am

Damn...

I really dig the history of Rolex, and have plans buying a 1675 or maybe a 5513. But reading other forums (not DWC mind you) I find that most Rolex-guys are.. posers and dickheads. :angryfire: Goddamn pictures of their watches together with Louis Vuitton bags, champagne bottles and what-not. Just a bunch of fucking brand whores. Arrrgh! :banghead:

Even credit cards.... :scream:

I know that I do not have to be a member of their club. But the problem is that they are building up under the image of the stereotype Rolex owner. And I don't want to be associated with that image.

The problem is that I lose interest in Rolex for a while when I have these experiences, but it usually works out the next time I see something like this:

Only thing: With these ups and downs it takes forever to get around buying one...

I know that to frequent DWC more is one answer and I think I have to.

Sorry guys just had to get it out. Please help a poor guy with some kind words and images that will raise my spirits... :crybaby:

starx
Name: Dim

Re: Watch Forums are ruining my Rolex plans...

Post by starx » Thu May 29, 2014 12:56 am

Don't worry too much about what other people think. Life is way too short. If you can afford it and you don't have to sleep in a cardboard box it's all good.
Current:
Oris Aquis Depth Gauge
Oris Aquis Titan Small Second
Doxa SUB 800Ti Professional
Korsbek Oceaneer
Boschett Harpoon
MTM Black Patriot

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Post by Terpits » Thu May 29, 2014 12:59 am

starx wrote:Don't worry too much about what other people think. Life is way too short. If you can afford it and you don't have to sleep in a cardboard box it's all good.
:1:
:rimshot:

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Thu May 29, 2014 1:00 am

Rolex only forums can appear OTT and very brand pretentious. I find that regardless how expensive your watch, most members take absolutely crap pics of their expensive toys.

I've been to GTG's from Rolex orientated forum's and have found very accepting and un-pretentious guys & partners attending.

I've found these forums a good starting point and source of information, if you stay away from the general forum, your generally less likely to grated by most of the dribble that is posted.

Unlike the dribble here that is piss funny and the watch pictures rock (not mine but I'm working on it). J
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Thu May 29, 2014 1:28 am

Terpits wrote:
starx wrote:Don't worry too much about what other people think. Life is way too short. If you can afford it and you don't have to sleep in a cardboard box it's all good.
:1:
I know, I know. Stay away from WUS and their brethren. The answer is quite simple: "fuck'em", but once in a while I just get a little agitated.

Note to self: Have-to-stay-away-from-WUS-and-the-like. :salute:

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Thu May 29, 2014 4:59 am

Not that I want to identify with this guy either, but it sure evens out the picture compared to some of today's users... :)

:bananastoner:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 29, 2014 5:07 am

I tend to ignore most of those fags, there seem to be a ton of people our there who act this away regardless of what brands they own. I can tell you a time when I went to a local Porsche GTG and I encountered the same thing, it was the last time I went also.

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy

Post by Terpits » Thu May 29, 2014 5:21 am

toxicavenger wrote:I tend to ignore most of those fags, there seem to be a ton of people our there who act this away regardless of what brands they own. I can tell you a time when I went to a local Porsche GTG and I encountered the same thing, it was the last time I went also.
They banned you there too!?

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 am

I agree to the gen public and their perception.
My answer? Buy a vintage tudor snowflake!

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

CoachH
Name: Joe

Post by CoachH » Thu May 29, 2014 5:33 am

There are posers and elitists in nearly every aspect of life. They just seem concentrated on internet fora. Even more so when the item of interest is very specific, such as a particular brand.

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy

Post by Terpits » Thu May 29, 2014 5:35 am

BBK357 wrote:I agree to the gen public and their perception.
BOOM!
:love: that watch.

rain_maker
Name: Fred

Post by rain_maker » Thu May 29, 2014 5:41 am

93 Turbo wrote:Rolex only forums can appear OTT and very brand pretentious. I find that regardless how expensive your watch, most members take absolutely crap pics of their expensive toys.

I've been to GTG's from Rolex orientated forum's and have found very accepting and un-pretentious guys & partners attending.

I've found these forums a good starting point and source of information, if you stay away from the general forum, your generally less likely to grated by most of the dribble that is posted.

Unlike the dribble here that is piss funny and the watch pictures rock (not mine but I'm working on it). J
^ this
I went to a GTG w some guys from TRF and they were all top notch guys.

There is definitely a public perception of the crown. A vintage Tudor sub like Ben suggested is a great option.

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Thu May 29, 2014 6:12 am

BBK357 wrote:I agree to the gen public and their perception.

Nice GMT and fantastic looking snowflake! :love:

And of course: I feel it's easier to get away with a vintage Rolex for some reason. Subscribe to the history and not the jewelry-part. ;)

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 am

I had to stop going to the TRF because of the idiocy of some of the threads. I recall one about driving really fast in an "exotic" with THEIR ROLEX and enjoying the look on people's faces as they blew by. That was the last straw.

There are some great sellers and truly knowledgeable people on there, but the elitist types bring it down. Shame, because I love the brand and it's the one watch I will never sell.

Then there's always the "can I wipe my dog's ass with MY ROLEX on or should I get it pressure tested first?" type threads...
- Todd

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu May 29, 2014 6:26 am

As a Rolex fan, I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I know a guy who inherited two Rolexes from his dad, but doesn't like wearing them for just this reason. I've read enough of some Rolex fora to have experienced this, but there's also a lot of pretty nice guys out there who just happen to dig the look and history of the brand.

It's just something you need to decide for yourself. If you're uncomfortable with the image, there are plenty of just as good or better brands you can go with - like Orient. :stir:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:45 am

Forums unite people from all over the world. You should embrace diversity and cultural differences
In some countries you have to wear and show everything you got when you go outside. People judge you by your watch, your purse, suit, shoes, etc. Exactly why in those regions fake LV and Rolex are made and thrive. Some parts of Russia are like that as well, people live in a 400 sq.ft. apartment but god forbid they don't have S-class MB.

Edit: and Yes, Orient is in its own class :lol:

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Thu May 29, 2014 6:51 am

Chocodove wrote:
Then there's always the "can I wipe my dog's ass with MY ROLEX on or should I get it pressure tested first?" type threads...
:lol:

With ass pictures? :bootyshake:
Last edited by SpaceCowboy on Thu May 29, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu May 29, 2014 6:54 am

There's a whole host of dipshits and showoffs on all the brand specific forums - even ones for watch brands that I would consider entry level. TRF is one of the worst, but that's more about the people who self select that forum, rather than the people who buy Rolex watches. Also, if you look below the surface, even on TRF, there are a ton of guys who really know their stuff and have similar disdain for their obnoxious brethren.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu May 29, 2014 6:59 am

SpaceCowboy wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

Only on DWC.
- Todd

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu May 29, 2014 7:02 am

Fuck'em... wear what you like. Also, knowing the history of the watch and your model gives you bonus points over pretentious pricks who by a Rolex just to "show it".

Finally, buy vintage (or put it on a nato :gayumbrella: )... and you become a connoisseur.

Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...

Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.

Memphis: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Thu May 29, 2014 7:03 am

JP Chestnut wrote:There's a whole host of dipshits and showoffs on all the brand specific forums - even ones for watch brands that I would consider entry level. TRF is one of the worst, but that's more about the people who self select that forum, rather than the people who buy Rolex watches. Also, if you look below the surface, even on TRF, there are a ton of guys who really know their stuff and have similar disdain for their obnoxious brethren.
Well put! :thumbsup:

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy

Post by Terpits » Thu May 29, 2014 7:04 am

Chocodove wrote:
SpaceCowboy wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

Only on DWC.

Happy Birthday!

Oh. Not.

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Thu May 29, 2014 7:11 am

Joeprez wrote: Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...

Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.

Memphis: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

:grin:

Damn! You nailed it with that quote! :rock:

bzabodyn
Name: BZ

Post by bzabodyn » Thu May 29, 2014 7:41 am

There's always a few doucebags (or few hundred) that ruin every hobby. Like Terry mentioned above it reminds me if the average 911 owner - the cars are still what they are regardless of who owns them, much like Rolex sport watches.

BZ
--> Brandon

Instagram @bzabodyn214

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu May 29, 2014 8:58 am

If you are at a Rolex GTG and can't spot the douchebag, it's probably you.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins