Non-functional HEV

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 15580
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:36 am

When the time comes for my DSSD to be serviced I'm sending it to Rolex.
This is exhausting :)

User avatar
demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Posts: 17920
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:41 pm
Name: Mike the Doxa Ho
Location: Lake Michigami

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by demer03 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 am

JP Chestnut wrote:Off topic: on my last visit to his shop I took a look at some of the watches he recently polished and I was shocked at how good they looked given that he doesn't have a lapping machine. He's extremely talented.
Dom does extremely good work. I've had 5 or 6 watches done by him and I am very satisfied. Expensive....but you get what you pay for.

If Jack @ IWW could double his output I'd be exclusive to him at the quality of work to cost ratio.
Image

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 6219
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by Torrid » Thu May 22, 2014 8:49 am

I think the only answer here is wear an SKX007 and throw out the old one and buy a new one every five years. :lol:

User avatar
foodle
Posts: 4166
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by foodle » Thu May 22, 2014 8:54 am

Torrid wrote:I think the only answer here is wear an SKX007 and throw out the old one and buy a new one every five years. :lol:
That's actually a pretty decent plan :thumbsup:

User avatar
FlyPenFly
Posts: 4789
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:15 am
Name: Off, Jerk
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by FlyPenFly » Thu May 22, 2014 11:22 am

I believe Bremont actually does batch testing. But not 100% sure on that.

I do recall that Bremont S500 cases really fail around 2000m in testers.

User avatar
BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Posts: 19181
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by BSears » Thu May 22, 2014 3:07 pm

demer03 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:Off topic: on my last visit to his shop I took a look at some of the watches he recently polished and I was shocked at how good they looked given that he doesn't have a lapping machine. He's extremely talented.
Dom does extremely good work. I've had 5 or 6 watches done by him and I am very satisfied. Expensive....but you get what you pay for.

If Jack @ IWW could double his output I'd be exclusive to him at the quality of work to cost ratio.
Ever since Dom serviced my father in law's Rolex DJ last year (damn that watch looked brand new when it came back) he has been and will be my go-to guy for servicing anything above a standard ETA or vintage Seiko. I sent him my Omega Bond a while back and that thing runs like a champ and keeps impeccable time. Good communication too. Mike, thanks for recommending him!
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

User avatar
demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Posts: 17920
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:41 pm
Name: Mike the Doxa Ho
Location: Lake Michigami

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by demer03 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Cool Brad! He's a nice guy too.
Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45736
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 22, 2014 4:13 pm

I know Edvi at ABC Watch Works pressure tested my watch and a U1 I sent to them.

Jack @IWW has pressure tested a ton of watches for me including a Rolex E2. I really don't care as long as they pass a 30m test.

User avatar
jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Posts: 11443
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 pm
Name: Björn

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by jeckyll » Thu May 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Jcp311 wrote:Are HEV's useless? Mostly...I've seen blog posts here and there about mixed gas surface diving becoming more "popular." I doubt however that even among rec divers it will ever become a thing.

That said if a dive watch micro or not has an HEV it should work.
hoppyjr wrote:I agree, if a watch has a valve it ought to work.

I'd think mixed gas diving wouldn't require the use of an HEV, unless the diver was really deep and spending time in a bell - but I'm no expert.

Diving with He mixes doesn't necessitate using a watch with an HEV, but a bell does. Guys I know diving He mixes complete their deco before leaving the water (none wear dive watches ;) ).

Commercial diving is a different story.
If you believe the doctors, nothing is wholesome; if you believe the theologians, nothing is innocent; if you believe the military, nothing is safe.
--Lord Salisbury

User avatar
scurfa
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:45 pm
Name: Paul
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by scurfa » Fri May 23, 2014 2:12 pm

Panerai7 wrote:When the time comes for my DSSD to be serviced I'm sending it to Rolex.
This is exhausting :)
you send you DSSD to rolex and they send it to comex nuclear for testing! So I'm led to believe!

User avatar
namor
Posts: 2219
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:17 am
Name: Seth

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by namor » Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 pm

from A Blog to Watch:

Dive watches receive a separate treatment all together. After being air pressure tested, Rolex proceeds to test the water resistance of each and every Rolex Submariner and Deep Sea watch in actual water. This type of test is much less common. Submariner watches are placed in large tubes that are filled with water to ensure that they are water resistant to 300 meters. The test is extremely complex because Rolex employs a complex system for testing if water entered the case.

After the watches exit the tank, they are heated up and a drop of cold water is placed on the crystal to see if condensation forms. An optical sensor then scans them for trace amounts of water. Less than one in a thousand watches fail the test. The story is much more intense for Deep-Sea watches. Rolex co-developed a special high-pressure water tank with COMEX to depth test each Deep-Sea watch. The pressure tank looks like something from a science fiction movie. Imagine something that looks like a several ton Gatling gun. This machine takes well over an hour and measures each watch to a pressure equivalent to 12,000 meters deep.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 15580
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by Panerai7 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:41 pm

That's right, DSSD FTMFW!

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 25884
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by BBK357 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:47 pm

namor wrote:from A Blog to Watch:

Dive watches receive a separate treatment all together. After being air pressure tested, Rolex proceeds to test the water resistance of each and every Rolex Submariner and Deep Sea watch in actual water. This type of test is much less common. Submariner watches are placed in large tubes that are filled with water to ensure that they are water resistant to 300 meters. The test is extremely complex because Rolex employs a complex system for testing if water entered the case.

After the watches exit the tank, they are heated up and a drop of cold water is placed on the crystal to see if condensation forms. An optical sensor then scans them for trace amounts of water. Less than one in a thousand watches fail the test. The story is much more intense for Deep-Sea watches. Rolex co-developed a special high-pressure water tank with COMEX to depth test each Deep-Sea watch. The pressure tank looks like something from a science fiction movie. Imagine something that looks like a several ton Gatling gun. This machine takes well over an hour and measures each watch to a pressure equivalent to 12,000 meters deep.
Wow this is really cool.
This is why I like Rolex.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jbw, jimyritz, mattcantwin, mellonb1, shaneotool, TSD and 34 guests