"The escapement is caressed"

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Expat
Mama always said life is like a box of chocolates.
Name: Bill

"The escapement is caressed"

Post by Expat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 am

"30ish years of martial arts and I've actually had the honor of training lots of LEO, spec ops and even SEAL team 6 on base, fitness training, not martial arts, but still the coolest thing I've done.

Full on egg head corporate job and I fly quite a bit so I'm really looking forward to adding to my collection of TSA friendly self defense tools. I have amcouple tactical pens, but I want to up the game and get into some custom stuff. Been watch obsessed for a while but this seems more fun.

Thanks for letting me play! "

citizenfox

Torrid
Name: Heath

Re: "The escapement is caressed"

Post by Torrid » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 am

Damn that is awesome. I love the platinum case.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:50 am

Remarkable Bill !!! :o Holy cow ! ..Thanks a lot !

chévere
Name: Jay

Post by chévere » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:58 am

I love how passionate these guys get when describing their goals for a particular watch. It reminds me of the piece Hodinkee did on Philippe Dufour. It's almost the purest form of love for horology.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:11 am

Much better than your more recent posts. :lol: :cheers:

Seriously though, that rocks. Gotta appreciate the true artisans who aspire to greatness as measured by their own standards alone.
:htfu:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:13 am

Awesome Bill.. :thumbsup:

Expat

Post by Expat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:53 pm

I feel like Constant is closest to the Journe look in the under $3k category. Any other contenders?

This is where I was going with the "diver like Geophysic" thread. Journe has a sport watch with a specially coated aluminum case that he bangs on the side of a table when he demonstrates how tough it is. I really don't think there's anything else like that. Maybe the Sinn 556 for a thin, simple watch that's actually overbuilt and tough.
"30ish years of martial arts and I've actually had the honor of training lots of LEO, spec ops and even SEAL team 6 on base, fitness training, not martial arts, but still the coolest thing I've done.

Full on egg head corporate job and I fly quite a bit so I'm really looking forward to adding to my collection of TSA friendly self defense tools. I have amcouple tactical pens, but I want to up the game and get into some custom stuff. Been watch obsessed for a while but this seems more fun.

citizenfox

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!

Post by AtomicTom » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Expat wrote:I feel like Constant is closest to the Journe look in the under $3k category. Any other contenders?

This is where I was going with the "diver like Geophysic" thread. Journe has a sport watch with a specially coated aluminum case that he bangs on the side of a table when he demonstrates how tough it is. I really don't think there's anything else like that. Maybe the Sinn 556 for a thin, simple watch that's actually overbuilt and tough.
Am pretty bad at knowing a ton about these kinds of watches Bill. They are amazing though. :love:

Was going to say maybe contenders would be brands like JLC, Breguet, or someone like Montblanc, but
didn't realize how above that $3k mark most of them are. :shock: Hard to think of any contenders sir.

..What do you think about Maurice Lacroix, or Baume & Mercier? Would they be possible contenders?!

Expat

Post by Expat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:25 pm

AtomicTom wrote:
Expat wrote:I feel like Constant is closest to the Journe look in the under $3k category. Any other contenders?

Am pretty bad at knowing a ton about these kinds of watches Bill. They are amazing though. :love:

Was going to say maybe contenders would be brands like JLC, Breguet, or someone like Montblanc, but
didn't realize how above that $3k mark most of them are. :shock: Hard to think of any contenders sir.

..What do you think about Maurice Lacroix, or Baume & Mercier? Would they be possible contenders?!
Tom - you're right on, both are. The new Baume Capelands are very nice, but not quite as refined. Some of the Lacroixs look great but I've never actually seen one in the metal.

citizenfox

falcon4311

Post by falcon4311 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 pm

It's fantastic from a horological point of view, however, it's something I would never wear.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 am

Expat wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:

Tom - you're right on, both are. The new Baume Capelands are very nice, but not quite as refined. Some of the Lacroixs look great but I've never actually seen one in the metal.
Oh cool Bill. Wasn't actually sure about those brands. ..Think it's great learning about brands like this, and also
watches like this. Opens up a whole different part of the hobby. Thanks for shedding some light like this sir ! :thumbsup:

serdal22
Name: Serdal

Post by serdal22 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks for the info, Bill.

I watched the video and noticed that second hand sweeps really smooth on a model, and it ticks every second like a Quartz on another. Brilliant!

Serdal
Seiko SKX 173 Mil. Mod.; Seiko SBCM 029; Seiko 6306 - 7000; MKII LRRP UTC 48; MKII Stingray; Marathon MSar 500 LE; Marathon Navigator; USSR Signal Mechanical Alarm; USSR NOS Raketa Mechanical; USSR NOS Poljot Shturmansky Mechanical Chrono; Hamilton H-31 Chrono; Hamilton Auto;  Arsa Extra WW II Mechanical; Citizen Ecozilla; Alpha GMT Coke Auto; ONLY TWO WRISTS :-)