Opinions? H2O vs Crepas vs Oris

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
r.palace

Re: Opinions? H2O vs Crepas vs Oris

Post by r.palace » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:50 pm

First off, thank you all for your opinions! I've read them all and have taken them in. I literally just tried on the Aquis Date and I have to say...not that impressed *flame suit on*.

It does feel very solid no doubt, however, it doesn't sing to me. I can commend the construction and solid feel but it didn't jump out at me as the obvious choice.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

Minordamage
Name: Josh

Post by Minordamage » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:54 pm

I love many of Oris' designs, but the bracelet end links being non-standard is a valid issue. I would only consider buying one if I absolutely loved it as is and had a stable of other watches for which I could interchange straps.

Josh
Josh

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:09 pm

r.palace wrote:First off, thank you all for your opinions! I've read them all and have taken them in. I literally just tried on the Aquis Date and I have to say...not that impressed *flame suit on*.

It does feel very solid no doubt, however, it doesn't sing to me.
Go shopping like a girl till you're happy.
only accurate watches are interesting

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:14 pm

BBK357 wrote:
zepp21 wrote:If you buy an Oris you're basically stuck with the strap/bracelet it comes with.
Yep

Crepas FTW
Bingo.

fwiw: Buy the one that appeals to you and you alone most. They are all good watches. Oris is more established, but they don't tend to appeal to me for various reasons, the biggest reason is noted by Alex.

Of the three, I think the Crepas Tektite is the sweetest looking diver.
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:41 pm

r.palace wrote:First off, thank you all for your opinions! I've read them all and have taken them in. I literally just tried on the Aquis Date and I have to say...not that impressed *flame suit on*.

It does feel very solid no doubt, however, it doesn't sing to me. I can commend the construction and solid feel but it didn't jump out at me as the obvious choice.
No flames necessary. I recommended Oris against your other two, but I've not owned any of the three brands.
:htfu:

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:49 pm

marchone wrote:

It does feel very solid no doubt, however, it doesn't sing to me.
Go shopping like a girl till you're happy.
This.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Jcp311
Name: Jeremy

Post by Jcp311 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:20 pm

I'm not sure the longevity argument is valid without knowing more about individual micros. It appears at least to me that a brand like Crepas has more going for it than your standard watch forum hobby startup. And outsourcing production isn't exactly a drawback if your suppliers aren't going under. Is in house production preferable? Sure...but it's not necessary to keep going. Crepas specifically will need to drop the whole limited edition thing for every model if they're going to grow.

However I agree a significant portion of the MIC micros will likely not last another decade without dedicated owners. I feel like we're quickly moving towards a high point in the rebirth of interest in mechanical watches and it can't last forever.

On another note some micros I'd like to see back...Kremke
:cheers:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:16 am

Jcp311 wrote:I'm not sure the longevity argument is valid without knowing more about individual micros. It appears at least to me that a brand like Crepas has more going for it than your standard watch forum hobby startup. And outsourcing production isn't exactly a drawback if your suppliers aren't going under. Is in house production preferable? Sure...but it's not necessary to keep going. Crepas specifically will need to drop the whole limited edition thing for every model if they're going to grow.

However I agree a significant portion of the MIC micros will likely not last another decade without dedicated owners. I feel like we're quickly moving towards a high point in the rebirth of interest in mechanical watches and it can't last forever.

Yup, and Kremke seemed like one that would stick around as more than a "watch forum hobby startup", thus our point.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Opinions? H2O vs Crepas vs Oris

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:40 am

I think the expense of doing it the right way [selling the watch after it's actually available, not before] is expensive for most micros. Add in the availability of movements, supplier delays, and supplier QC issues and I think being a micro brand owner would drive me nuts.

Jcp311

Post by Jcp311 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 am

dnslater wrote:
Jcp311 wrote:I'm not sure the longevity argument is valid without knowing more about individual micros. It appears at least to me that a brand like Crepas has more going for it than your standard watch forum hobby startup. And outsourcing production isn't exactly a drawback if your suppliers aren't going under. Is in house production preferable? Sure...but it's not necessary to keep going. Crepas specifically will need to drop the whole limited edition thing for every model if they're going to grow.

Yup, and Kremke seemed like one that would stick around as more than a "watch forum hobby startup", thus our point.
Wasn't kremke a one man operation? I would think the one man brands are at the greatest risk of falling by the wayside.

Jcp311

Post by Jcp311 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:29 am

hoppyjr wrote:I think the expense of doing it the right way [selling the watch after it's actually available, not before] is expensive for most micros. Add in the availability of movements, supplier delays, and supplier QC issues and I think being a micro brand owner would drive me nuts.

You said it...supplier QC issues would drive me insane. Especially if you elected to start with an OEM like fullswing. They make "good" stuff, but sometimes not consistently.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:33 am

I haven't had many micros, but I don't plan to pick up any others.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:17 pm

I've had an Armida A2 and a Mk II LRRP Milsub. Both were good watches but my Shogun blows them both out of the water.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Torrid wrote:I haven't had many micros, but I don't plan to pick up any others.
I have 2 Helberg CH-6 on order.

Hoping for the best. :pray:

Jcp311

Post by Jcp311 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:30 pm

I have one of the last caymans on order from Crepas. I know for the most part fullswing makes the watch parts, but Rolland kemmner assembles, tests, and QC's the final product. I am curious how they got a hold of those top grade 2824's...

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:45 pm

marchone wrote:I've had an Armida A2 and a Mk II LRRP Milsub. Both were good watches but my Shogun blows them both out of the water.
The Shogun is one hell of a watch. Thinking about picking up another one as it might just be the most comfortable watch I've owned.

marchone
Capt. Obvious

Post by marchone » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:56 pm

Jcp311 wrote:I have one of the last caymans on order from Crepas. I know for the most part fullswing makes the watch parts, but Rolland kemmner assembles, tests, and QC's the final product. I am curious how they got a hold of those top grade 2824's...
That's good to know. Kemmner has a great reputation. I'll guess he's very well connected.
mellonb1 wrote:The Shogun is one hell of a watch. Thinking about picking up another one as it might just be the most comfortable watch I've owned.
It's very comfortable but I know I have it on. It's a large watch and still has some heft despite being Ti.

You should try an SMP 300 if you haven't. My '95 blue Bond quartz is still far away the easiest wearing watch I've had. A great bracelet, small case and 12+mm height make an unbeatable combination.

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:40 pm

marchone wrote:
Jcp311 wrote:I have one of the last caymans on order from Crepas. I know for the most part fullswing makes the watch parts, but Rolland kemmner assembles, tests, and QC's the final product. I am curious how they got a hold of those top grade 2824's...
That's good to know. Kemmner has a great reputation. I'll guess he's very well connected.
mellonb1 wrote:The Shogun is one hell of a watch. Thinking about picking up another one as it might just be the most comfortable watch I've owned.
It's very comfortable but I know I have it on. It's a large watch and still has some heft despite being Ti.

You should try an SMP 300 if you haven't. My '95 blue Bond quartz is still far away the easiest wearing watch I've had. A great bracelet, small case and 12+mm height make an unbeatable combination.
Funny you would mention as I've actually considered giving one a whirl as of late. Everyone seems to be in agreement that it's a super comfortable watch on the wrist.