Ooops: John Mayer bought a lot of fake Rolexes

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
outtatime
Name: Jon

Re: Ooops: John Mayer bought a lot of fake Rolexes

Post by outtatime » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:18 pm

nvm
Last edited by outtatime on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:20 pm

There's definitely going to be downstream impacts - but let's hold off judgment until we know more - I have no bias for or against either party, and my music taste puts me more in alignment with lil Wayne than John Mayer, but for such a high profile dealer and high profile client, I would want to hear both sides. Both of them know more about watches, especially vintage, than I can begin to fathom.

Sent from Tapatalk

falcon4311

Post by falcon4311 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Man that sucks! How the Hell did he get so many fakes? I have seen a couple very well made fakes that would fool the best of watchmakers until they open them up. You would think a guy that buys and sells would have them checked or check the movement himself before getting into a situation like that. I wish they could shut the fake manufacturers down and shoot them all.Or at the very least de-nut them.

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:25 pm

blkgsl wrote:There's definitely going to be downstream impacts - but let's hold off judgment until we know more - I have no bias for or against either party, and my music taste puts me more in alignment with lil Wayne than John Mayer, but for such a high profile dealer and high profile client, I would want to hear both sides. Both of them know more about watches, especially vintage, than I can begin to fathom.

Sent from Tapatalk
What on earth is a lil wayne? :lol:

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:55 pm

He should have bought from Jacek.

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:56 pm

blkgsl wrote:There's definitely going to be downstream impacts - but let's hold off judgment until we know more - I have no bias for or against either party, and my music taste puts me more in alignment with lil Wayne than John Mayer, but for such a high profile dealer and high profile client, I would want to hear both sides. Both of them know more about watches, especially vintage, than I can begin to fathom.
This isn't the first time that Maron's been called out like this. My money's on Mayer.

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

blkgsl
Herro!!!

Post by blkgsl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:01 pm

craniotes wrote:
This isn't the first time that Maron's been called out like this. My money's on Mayer.

Regards,
Adam
Amen bud. I hear ya.

Sent from Tapatalk

blkgsl
Herro!!!

Post by blkgsl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:01 pm

unixshrk wrote:

Sent from Tapatalk
Lol.

Sent from Tapatalk

greenlightning
The Dude
Name: Kris

Post by greenlightning » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Never heard of maron til this thread. Quick google search outs him as a shit head pretty quickly. Posts on trf from 2010 about him trying to pass of fakes. Ripoff reports dated in 2012. If half of it is true, I'm shocked anyone would buy a watch from him.

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:07 pm

You guys are missing the point! Jon hates Mayer. Get with it, guys!

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:09 pm

greenlightning wrote:Never heard of maron til this thread. Quick google search outs him as a shit head pretty quickly. Posts on trf from 2010 about him trying to pass of fakes. Ripoff reports dated in 2012. If half of it is true, I'm shocked anyone would buy a watch from him.

^^^^^^ This from me, Thanks Kris. J
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:18 pm

I just read this sentence to Lady K: "John Mayer spent $5 MILLION on what he believed were authentic, antique Rolex watches ... but claims he was defrauded by Charlie Sheen's best buddy."

And she just totally busts out laughing. I'm going "wait, don't you want to hear the story?" and she says: "Why? You had me at 'Charlie Sheen'..." as she leaves the room, still laughing. I fucking love that woman.
:thumbsup:

It's true: total first world problem.
:htfu:

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:36 pm

This guy's business is ruined true or false.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Like he can't afford more
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:41 pm

FlyPenFly wrote:This guy's business is ruined true or false.
Yep. That was my first thought. We'll see how widespread this gets beyond the forum world, but Maron sells a ton of vintage Rolex. Even if they're legit, they're generally greatly overpriced.

pacifichrono
Name: Tom

Post by pacifichrono » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:40 pm

I wonder if "semantics" is coming into play here. To SOME degree, I've got a feeling this talk of "fake" and "counterfeit" Rolexes will eventually boil down to tiny issues of replacement parts, like a second hand here, a date wheel there, a bezel insert, crown, etc. that have been replaced with genuine Rolex parts, but not necessarily from the exact year or 'generation' to be perfectly kosher, but ALMOST. :scratch:
Regards from Sunny San Diego.............Tom

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:44 pm

pacifichrono wrote:I wonder if "semantics" is coming into play here. To SOME degree, I've got a feeling this talk of "fake" and "counterfeit" Rolexes will eventually boil down to tiny issues of replacement parts, like a second hand here, a date wheel there, a bezel insert, crown, etc. that have been replaced with genuine Rolex parts, but not necessarily from the exact year or 'generation' to be perfectly kosher, but ALMOST. :scratch:
Rolex should not have had issue if this were the case.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

scurfa
Name: Paul

Post by scurfa » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 am

He was sussed out a while ago on the vintage rolex forum in fact about 7 years ago, he had a comex 5514 with the worst reprinted dial I've ever seen and I mailed him to tell him it was fake but he's not bothered, he's had the red rangers for sale and the so called 4 o clock crown 'prototype' Tudors also, this is not new all the big buyers stay clear, I'm amazed he needs to do it with watches he has for sale he's bonkers!

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:19 am

Sidheguitarist wrote: It's true: total first world problem.
this :raised:
Last edited by four20 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:26 am

If I read it right, be bought the watches in 2007 maybe before Maron went rogue or had a iffy reputation.

bottom of the ninth
Name: Trent

Post by bottom of the ninth » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:24 am

Yikes...The whole vintage thing scares the shit out of me :shock:

You have to know what the hell your doing if you play in the vintage market :shifty:
"Baseball? It's just a game-as simple as a ball and bat. Yet, as complex as the American spirit it symbolizes. It's a sport, business- and sometimes even religion."
Ernie Harwell

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:25 am

Vintage is more scary for the rare subs and hard to find Rolex's. Problem is there isn't much to compare them to. I still think buying a GMT or 5513 is pretty safe as long as you inspect it and buy it from a decent seller. I only have Tudor experience and a few other random vintage but I never had issues after I learned how to spot the usual signs.
I did have a well known seller out of New York sell me a blue snowflake and claimed it had the right movement in it. It didn't hack and didn't have an engraved weight. Had other issues too so I sent it back. He wasn't too happy and argued about it. Beauty of paying with Paypal. Never do business with him again.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:31 am

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Robert-Ma ... aud-936047

I've read other articles about Maron and Crowley as well.... a local guy here in CLE is a PP collector and gave me a copy of an article as an education piece...
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

bottom of the ninth
Name: Trent

Post by bottom of the ninth » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:28 am

^^ WoW
I will remember those two names...
"Baseball? It's just a game-as simple as a ball and bat. Yet, as complex as the American spirit it symbolizes. It's a sport, business- and sometimes even religion."
Ernie Harwell

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:47 am

unixshrk wrote:

Sent from Tapatalk
Lil Wayne? Really? I think we need to teach blk some real rap music. :lol: