Scratched Speedy Crystal

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
AntonioPD
Name: Tony

Scratched Speedy Crystal

Post by AntonioPD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:48 am

Yep. Only had it four days and last night I discovered a scratch running from the "Omega" label up through the "30" on the top subdial; it doesn't show up all that well in pics, but it's extremely obvious to the naked eye - especially when trying to read the subdial, and you can feel it if you run your fingernail across it.
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
This watch has a sapphire crystal and I did not bang it against anything yesterday. I can't for the life of me understand how this happened. Eric (Ericf4) thinks it may be in the AR; if that's so, then I think it's unfortunate that a "fine" watch has AR on the outside of the crystal - that scratches so easily. What's the point of paying for sapphire then?

Sorry guys - just venting; really disappointed. If any of you have words of wisdom - or just want to tell me how I was a dumbass - fire away! :scream:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AntonioPD on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resistance is the indicator of progress.
- Clint Bruce USN (Retired)

Omega PO 8500 45.5, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard A-05, Karlskrona Midnattssol Blue Date, Seiko Save the Ocean Turtle, G-Shock Solar Atomic and GA-100, Movado ESQ

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Re: Scratched Speedy Crystal

Post by dshap » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:50 am

Sorry to hear that. If you can feel it with your nail it's not the AR.
-David

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:54 am

If you can feel it, it has to be a scratch.

Edit he said that while tapatalk was freezing up

koda240
Hot Legs!

Post by koda240 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:07 am

dshap wrote:Sorry to hear that. If you can feel it with your nail it's not the AR.
^ This.

Sorry to hear it. I understand the frustration when it happened to my SubC.

Best to just bite the bullet and get it replaced. If it doesn't bother you that bad you might be ok to live with it for awhile.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:08 am

Sure its not acrylic crystal?
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:20 am

:shock: how the hell did that happen? There is an Omega boutique in Oakbrook. They can take care of it and get you a cost.

AntonioPD

Post by AntonioPD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:20 am

ericf4 wrote:Sure its not acrylic crystal?
3210.50 is sapphire. The pictogram confirms it. Good theory though!

Omega PO 8500 45.5, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard A-05, Karlskrona Midnattssol Blue Date, Seiko Save the Ocean Turtle, G-Shock Solar Atomic and GA-100, Movado ESQ

AntonioPD

Scratched Speedy Crystal

Post by AntonioPD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:21 am

Nellipj wrote::shock: how the hell did that happen? There is an Omega boutique in Oakbrook. They can take care of it and get you a cost.
Thanks Pat. I'm going there on Tuesday.

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:23 am

AntonioPD wrote:
Nellipj wrote::shock: how the hell did that happen? There is an Omega boutique in Oakbrook. They can take care of it and get you a cost.
Thanks Pat. I'm going there on Tuesday.
Sorry buddy, I know how you feel :angryfire:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:44 am

AntonioPD wrote: (Ericf4) thinks it may be in the AR; if that's so, then I think it's unfortunate that a "fine" watch has AR on the outside of the crystal - that scratches so easily. What's the point of paying for sapphire then?
Most AR sucks, which is why many prefer not to have it. I have micro scratches on the outer AR of my IWC. I'd look into having the AR removed.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:55 am

first question, does your wife own a michael kors watch?

and just get the ar removed by abc and everything will be fine.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:43 am

Man, that sucks! I'm ok with dings and scratches on the case or bracelet but not on the crystal. I hope it's not to pricey to replace, good luck!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

koda240
Hot Legs!

Post by koda240 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:59 am

toxicavenger wrote:first question, does your wife own a michael kors watch?

and just get the ar removed by abc and everything will be fine.
Hahahaha

Kustoms4ever
Name: Johnny

Post by Kustoms4ever » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:26 am

Well between this and the scratches on the clasp, bracelet I would just send it in for a full service. If the watch is this well worn who knows if the movement was ever serviced. How old is the watch....Sucks but it is what it is.
My other hobby. My 1954 Lincoln Capri Full Custom.

“The Royal Oak was the first of its kind. 40 years later, it remains unmatched amongst prestige sport watches. This is only the beginning of an authentic icon that is making an indelible imprint on the history of modern watchmaking."

-François-Henry Bennahmias, CEO of Audemars Piguet,

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:29 am

So sorry to hear that Tony!

Yep, you'll have to sell it to me cheap... no other way around it!

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:16 am

That sucks Tony. Sorry to hear. However I would suggest checking your area and actions to see if you can find out how the scratch occurred. It obviously had to rub against something hard or harder then the sapphire to make the mark. Usually it would be some jewelry maybe but there are other things that could cause that like tungsten carbide for example and more.

As for the scratch replacement is probably the best idea however I read that one can clean up such marks with diamond paste. Since one applies it with his fingers he he can ensure not to damage the rest of the watch. But it could be a little cheaper then replacing the crystal. But of course if you have the cash then you can do what you feel is best.

stumpy1972
Perfectly Bent
Name: Dan

Post by stumpy1972 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:40 am

dshap wrote:Sorry to hear that. If you can feel it with your nail it's not the AR.
This^^

Man that sucks! You're not wearing any diamond skull rings are you? :shifty:
"Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you king." -Bob Dylan

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." -Henry Ford

"Surely not EVERYBODY was Kung Fu fighting." -Unknown

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:42 am

Wow Tony, that's weird. ..Hope you can get it fixed easily. Let us know what happens with this. Good luck !

AntonioPD

Post by AntonioPD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks for all the responses, guys; I really appreciate it. :salute:

Terry - I'm pretty sure it's not in the AR - but thanks. And I don't get the Michael Kors joke ... sorry! :scratch:

Johnny - the watch is about 3.25 years old, and worn in rotation, so I was planning to service it in 2-3 years.

Carlo - I've racked my brain trying to figure this out. I posted a WRUW pic at about 1325 yesterday and there was no scratch; then at about 2025 I noticed it; in that seven hours it did not leave my wrist and I did nothing unusual; I don't remember knocking it on anything (I'm extremely careful with all my watches - especially this one) and was nowhere near anything like you suggest. Obviously I was careless somewhere along the way and what bugs me most is not knowing how I did it.

On the bright side, my wife just got her bonus check and told me she'll pay for a crystal replacement; who needs watches with a wife like that! :love: (Well, I do but you get my point.) I'm going to the Omega Boutique on Tuesday so wish me luck. :pray:

sinner
Closet Baller
Name: Sum Ting Wong

Post by sinner » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:34 am

That sucks. Awesome gesture by your better half, though. Keep us posted.

Kustoms4ever
Name: Johnny

Post by Kustoms4ever » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 pm

AntonioPD wrote:Thanks for all the responses, guys; I really appreciate it. :salute:

Terry - I'm pretty sure it's not in the AR - but thanks. And I don't get the Michael Kors joke ... sorry! :scratch:

Johnny - the watch is about 3.25 years old, and worn in rotation, so I was planning to service it in 2-3 years.

Carlo - I've racked my brain trying to figure this out. I posted a WRUW pic at about 1325 yesterday and there was no scratch; then at about 2025 I noticed it; in that seven hours it did not leave my wrist and I did nothing unusual; I don't remember knocking it on anything (I'm extremely careful with all my watches - especially this one) and was nowhere near anything like you suggest. Obviously I was careless somewhere along the way and what bugs me most is not knowing how I did it.

On the bright side, my wife just got her bonus check and told me she'll pay for a crystal replacement; who needs watches with a wife like that! :love: (Well, I do but you get my point.) I'm going to the Omega Boutique on Tuesday so wish me luck. :pray:

Yeah it wont need a service right now... I would just get the crystal replaced and have it polished.
My other hobby. My 1954 Lincoln Capri Full Custom.

“The Royal Oak was the first of its kind. 40 years later, it remains unmatched amongst prestige sport watches. This is only the beginning of an authentic icon that is making an indelible imprint on the history of modern watchmaking."

-François-Henry Bennahmias, CEO of Audemars Piguet,

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Tony, the joke is Koda's Rolex crystal got scratched by her Michael Kors watch.

AntonioPD

Post by AntonioPD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:45 pm

toxicavenger wrote:Tony, the joke is Koda's Rolex crystal got scratched by her Michael Kors watch.
Got it. Funny thing is the only thing I was anywhere near yesterday that could do this is Anna's wedding ring;

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16&start=1037

So maybe there's something to it!

Just got off the phone with the Omega Boutique; a crystal is going to cost around $200. They won't polish out the wabi on the clasp; my only option with them is a full service which costs $710! Wow - that's close to half what I paid for the watch! I'm not going to do this for 3 years or so, but do I have other service options besides Omega or do I have to have them do it?

Thanks guys - it's made this a lot easier having a bunch of nutters in my corner giving me advice and condolences! :thumbsup:

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:50 pm

200 done deal.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:53 pm

AntonioPD wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:Tony, the joke is Koda's Rolex crystal got scratched by her Michael Kors watch.
I'm not going to do this for 3 years or so, but do I have other service options besides Omega or do I have to have them do it?
I have heard many horror stories coming out of the NJ Omega service center. I would highly recommend saving your money and getting an independent to do the service. Much less risk. I'd recommend:
http://www.timecareinc.com/

The owner is a technical Mod on TRF.