For those more movement-savvy than me...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
suddha
Action/Adventure Protagonist
Name: Jason

For those more movement-savvy than me...

Post by suddha » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:55 pm

A question: is it detrimental for a mechanical chronograph to be kept in a stopped position for a long period of time, while the watch remains wound and running? Seems to me, having the chrono module under tension wouldn't be good, as opposed to "at rest."

Thoughts? My wife likes her PO chrono's second hand off center (15 second mark). :rolleyes:

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Re: For those more movement-savvy than me...

Post by ElChingon7 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:08 pm

suddha wrote:A question: is it detrimental for a mechanical chronograph to be kept in a stopped position for a long period of time, while the watch remains wound and running? Seems to me, having the chrono module under tension wouldn't be good, as opposed to "at rest."

Thoughts? My wife likes her PO chrono's second hand off center (15 second mark). :rolleyes:
I'm no movement expert by any means. Keeping it stopped is the 'normal' mode. As I understand when it's running it is using more of the movement, sort of like a train pulling some extra cars. I don't think having it stopped is keeping anything under tension. I varied from keeping it running and not. Always in sync with the sub-second hand though.

A previous member could give you a much better answer, or you can always ask that Lysanderxiii fella at WUS. He's like a watch Wikipedia.
WTF

polaco23
Actually chooses to live in Detroit
Name: Dominik

Post by polaco23 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:18 pm

ive heard its good to let them run every now and then. thats what i do, i have both auto and manual wind chronos.

But movements arnt made the same way as back in the day, they dont get "dry" like before, but most of the rumors have not changed.

My opinion? use your chrono now and again, but if your watch isnt 30 years old, i honestly dont think itll do much harm or good either way. :cheers:

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:58 pm

I have seen a lot of posts where members use the chrono hand as a date pointer. Especially on the Speedy. I've never heard anyone say it's bad.

PoliMalaka

Post by PoliMalaka » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:46 am

DMB wrote:I have seen a lot of posts where members use the chrono hand as a date pointer. Especially on the Speedy. I've never heard anyone say it's bad.
How does that work? I can see if it's the 1st through the 12th, but what about the 30th? Do tell!
--
"I have to return some video tapes."
Patrick Bateman

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Post by ElChingon7 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:55 am

PoliMalaka wrote:
DMB wrote:I have seen a lot of posts where members use the chrono hand as a date pointer. Especially on the Speedy. I've never heard anyone say it's bad.
How does that work? I can see if it's the 1st through the 12th, but what about the 30th? Do tell!
I believe he's referring to the Chrono seconds hand. In that case you just have to be quick with the start stop button, and of course remember to change it...
WTF

PoliMalaka

Post by PoliMalaka » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:55 pm

ElChingon7 wrote:
PoliMalaka wrote:
I believe he's referring to the Chrono seconds hand. In that case you just have to be quick with the start stop button, and of course remember to change it...
Hum... I see it now. Thanks!
--
"I have to return some video tapes."
Patrick Bateman