What's next?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Re: What's next?

Post by craniotes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:47 am

carlodwc wrote:I wonder why most people are thinking of getting watches that are more and more expensive...

There are thousands of watches out there, many under $500 and yet it seems that one tends to get the $x,000 watch. Is there no love for more affordable ones?

Or is it that in order to get the best one has to spend several thousands of dollars?
It's simply a matter of taste. There are plenty of more affordable pieces that I like, but with funds limited as they are, I'd rather save and save and save until I can get that one watch that I REALLY want, as opposed to a bunch that I kinda want.

Mind you, I still pick up G-Shocks left and right, but I don't really post much about that since not many here are into the type of Gs that I collect. :shrug:

Regards,
Adam

PS - It's also worth noting, that while some of the pieces in my collection may seem "baller", there are plenty of collectors out there who own multiple watches, each of which is worth more than a house. (An expensive house. An expensive house in a non-flyover state.) To them, my collection seems "affordable". It's all about perspective. ;)
Last edited by craniotes on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:51 am

It's also about resale if you can play.
only accurate watches are interesting

MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:53 am

smalls wrote:Sinn U1 and Doxa.

Hey Matt I have a U1 for sale now make me an offer. :fro:
Regards,

Mark

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:01 am

craniotes wrote:
carlodwc wrote:I wonder why most people are thinking of getting watches that are more and more expensive...

There are thousands of watches out there, many under $500 and yet it seems that one tends to get the $x,000 watch. Is there no love for more affordable ones?

Or is it that in order to get the best one has to spend several thousands of dollars?
It's simply a matter of taste. There are plenty of more affordable pieces that I like, but with funds limited as they are, I'd rather save and save and save until I can get that one watch that I REALLY want, as opposed to a bunch that I kinda want.

Mind you, I still pick up G-Shocks left and right, but I don't really post much about that since not many here are into the type of Gs that I collect. :shrug:

Regards,
Adam

PS - It's also worth noting, that while some of the pieces in my collection may seem "baller", there are plenty of collectors out there who multiple watches, each of which is worth more than a house. (An expensive house. An expensive house in a non-flyover state.) To them, my collection seems "affordable". It's all about perspective. ;)
Thanks Adam and of course you are right. But I would not mind seeing some G-Shocks and Casio's. I just got a ProTrek actually that I like quite a bit. ;) will post pics soon... :mrgreen:

cdnwatchguy
Name: Keith

Post by cdnwatchguy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:10 am

I am not interested in tying up any more $ in watches than I already have so it would require sending off one or two before getting anything new. Having said that I am fickle.
What interests me now is

Speedmaster pro
JLC navy seals diver
Sub c
Panerai 292 black seal.

Subject to change.
cheers,

Keith

mattjmcd
Name: Matt

Post by mattjmcd » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:21 am

4pfrench wrote:only one that is a sure thing (i think) is this as my 10th anniversary present...

but then I see a picture of a Striking 10th and i pull the reins back...
Maybe buy a 903 and save the money left over for the Zenith?

mattjmcd
Name: Matt

Post by mattjmcd » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:28 am

On my radar at present:

Sinn 556i
Sinn T2 or U2 or U1 sdr
Rolex GMTII or ExpII

I am doing some extended test driving of an Explorer right now and I am a bit surprised at the lack of affinity I am feeling for it. The size is good, and if I'm honest I admit I like the CDI/ "hey, it's a Rolex!" factor just a wee bit. That said, the cyclops bugs me as much as I thought it would- which is to say it bugs quite a lot. The legibility is not as good as I expected, and the crown is dinky. Details overall are excellent though.

dosei
Closet Baller
Name: Dennis

Post by dosei » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:41 am

craniotes wrote:Image

In the short-term I'm looking at the Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue, which will probably require a sacrifice on the part of my titanium AT 2000, but other than that I'm holding steady. Anything else is too damn expensive.

Regards,
Adam
I previously owned the black dial Heritage Chrono, and felt it was a little pedestrian. Personally I would stick with the Ti AT 2000.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 am

To be honest lilhoody, I have no idea. :grin: My problem is I like so many watches from
so many different brands it's hard to know which way is up. Then at the same time
will immerse myself in one brand for a long long time like Zodiac, or Seiko. So in
the end, although there's a ton of watches from different brands I like, both new,
and vintage. I don't know what is actually next. ..It's a great question though !

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:15 pm

pretty content at the moment, but as i'm sure is the case amongst us all, subconsciously there are a few on my radar:

jlc tribute to deep sea - one of the most balanced watches i've ever seen in the flesh and had the opportunity to try on; it reminds me of the vintage simplicity of the omega aqua terra 2500 that is likely the one, for-sure, without-a-doubt keeper in my collection
don't know what i would sacrifice should one come up but it would make the legend no date redundant to a point

114060 (or 14060) - i owned a seadweller for a while but it just didn't fit my small flat wrist comfortably at all, loved everything else about it though
want to try one (both) on and if the fit works i'd consider parting with both my po 2500 and mm300 to add one

pam base or sub - i have a bunch of 24mm straps that i feel are too casual for the 233 that i'd still like to wear particularly in the summer
wouldn't be the first time i bought a watch to fit straps i already own :doh:

great thread
cheers all!

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:16 pm

giosdad wrote:
lilhoody wrote:Damn, I forgot the .............................
Coming back here to see you fill in the blanks is worth the price of admission.
I'm only here to entertain.

I'm not a collector, I'm good with 3-5 watches. Any more and they get sold, or I consolidate. So for me, it has nothing to to do with affordables vs. <$1K watches. It has to do with consumption and progression.

I've consumed some affordables and a shit load of watches in the $1K-$2K range. I've probably burned through 60 +/- watches in the last four years. What it's left me is what I posted in the OP. As my income grows and or disposable income, upward is really where I'm going.

I can buy a G-shock with out giving any thought to paying bills, problem is they aren't my thing. They don't fit under long sleeves and don't belong under a dress shirt. The last G-shock I bought, a few weeks ago, is old news...gonski.

It's not snobbery, it's apples to oranges.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 pm

fastward wrote:
demer03 wrote:I have no idea....

Perhaps a Speedy Pro?
Another gaggle of Doxa? ;)
Nah, I have "the" DOXA.

:shrug:
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:26 pm

lilhoody wrote:I'm not a collector, I'm good with 3-5 watches.
That depends on how you define a collection. Someone once told me any more than two of anything is a collection. Three to five, or ten times more ... it's all relative.

:cheers:
only accurate watches are interesting

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Damn good question Carlo, I will be picking up a Seiko Kinetic, just as a grabbed a Citizen Skyhawk from Adam (Bigolac) last year as a representation of that horological technology within the collection at some stage.

And Im amazed that the Seiko I bought in 1986 and serviced only once still going strong, and occasionally I question the direction I'm heading in with the collection. But I get enjoyment from what I have, and never see myself getting into the higher $ value watches $20K +. Asides from the mortgage and school fees for a hand full of years yet. (Oh and explaining to the trouble & strife)

Cheers Jules
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:28 pm

I could totally see you in a PloPro BD.

For me I'd like another Speedy or a Sea Dweller in that order.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

braeburn
Name: Jeff

Post by braeburn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Pretty content right now. I'm still smitten with the 46mm incursore, still trying to find my speedy pro somewhere (and really hoping it did not get tossed with the trash one day-no, really I am hoping :angryfire: ), wore my Maratac beater pilot watch all day today in the field, and have a Zilla that is never worn because my mod exercise went bad.

So, content, but would like a good less than $800 dive watch in the 45-46mm category.

Beyond that, right now, I have one watch on my list....the IWC Ingenieur Mission Earth on the bracelet. For me, that watch stops me in my tracks.
Beaver? It's a damn badger - it even says so on the poster....
Gordo.

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:46 pm

giosdad wrote:
lilhoody wrote:Damn, I forgot the .............................
Coming back here to see you fill in the blanks is worth the price of admission.
And, one more thing... BP FF! How could I forget that?
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

Vern
Name: Vern

Post by Vern » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Seiko SBGA0029 or 31
Sinn 6100
Aegir CD-1
Sinn U1
Sinn UX
Korsbek Ocean Explorer
Kobold AD (fully polished)
Ball Spacemaster X-lume
DWP (14 nib, 85 worn by g/f)
Eterna KonTiki Diver
UTS 2000m Pacific Horizon Blue
Seiko Kinetic
Seiko Tuna
Sinn UX GSG9
Orient OS300 White face

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Vern wrote:Seiko SBGA0029 or 31
Sinn 6100
Aegir CD-1
Sinn U1
U1 huh?
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

Vern
Name: Vern

Post by Vern » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:03 pm

I like how my cousins put a watch together. I'd like to try one!
Sinn UX
Korsbek Ocean Explorer
Kobold AD (fully polished)
Ball Spacemaster X-lume
DWP (14 nib, 85 worn by g/f)
Eterna KonTiki Diver
UTS 2000m Pacific Horizon Blue
Seiko Kinetic
Seiko Tuna
Sinn UX GSG9
Orient OS300 White face

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:48 pm

I have a few "keepers" incoming over the next few months:

- HTFU Ennebi
- Halios Tropik
- Dagaz Typhoon (the silence around this watch is deafening. At least it was only a $300 deposit)
- SAS Air

Beyond those, I intend to try out as many watches as I can. At some point, I want to try a PP for a bit - maybe an Aquanaut 5167 or Nautilus 5711. I also want to try something in gold. I think if I consolidate enough, maybe a Duometre.

I dunno. All over the place. Lots of watches are possible if you don't commit to any, though! :)
:htfu:

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Oops! I forgot to add a Galapagos to my list.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:23 am

matt.wu wrote:
- Dagaz Typhoon (the silence around this watch is deafening. At least it was only a $300 deposit)
Oh yeah, I forgot about the typhoon which I also have a deposit on. :shrug:
Regards
Barry

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:31 am

I've been struggling with this lately. My list of future acquisitions is getting more and more expensive:
IWC 3711 on bracelet
IWC 3705
Rolex Sea Dweller 16600
Rolex SS Daytona

Those watches are all in the $6,000-$10,000 range and I'm not sure how I feel about moving into the five digit watch club. Consequently, I'm seriously thinking about picking up my first Sinn (a $2,000 EZM1) to see if I can still enjoy somewhat reasonably priced watches. Basically, I want to test if my enjoyment of a watch depends on how much I spend on it (an idea I don't like), or if I enjoy my watches due to their intrinsic qualities.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:36 am