Why does Kobold make it so hard to share the love?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Re: Why does Kobold make it so hard to share the love?

Post by demer03 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:27 pm

Darin FTW
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

foodle

Post by foodle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm

foodle wrote:
matt.wu wrote: What's your specific axe to grind w/ Kobold, foodle? You seem particularly hostile.
I'm just annoyed by their pricing and hype. Nothing else specific. Mike Kobold didn't kill my dog or anything.
lilhoody wrote: What is your Kobold beef? You never did answer Wu.
Asked and answered.

I think the real question is why you feel the need to crawl so far up MK's ass? :think:

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Pricing and Hype...just like your beloved Sinn. Round and round we go.

Oh...and re: MK, he's a hot dude.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:07 pm

And makes bitchin watches.

Fact
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:15 pm

foodle wrote:
foodle wrote:
matt.wu wrote: What's your specific axe to grind w/ Kobold, foodle? You seem particularly hostile.
I'm just annoyed by their pricing and hype. Nothing else specific. Mike Kobold didn't kill my dog or anything.
Asked and answered.

I think the real question is why you feel the need to crawl so far up MK's ass? :think:
There's gonna be ass-play here???

Sent using Tapatalk

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:19 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
foodle wrote:
foodle wrote:
Asked and answered.

There's gonna be ass-play here???

Sent using Tapatalk
:excited:

Vern
Name: Vern

Post by Vern » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:51 pm

I do agree with Rob in the original post that $750 is way too much for a bezel, but I do loves me some Kobolds.

Conversing once with a great salesman at Oliver Smith here locally while looking, but not buying any Pam's or IWC's, he inquired about my UTS 2000m (thanks Rob). Having previously discussed the Eterna I wore into the store previously he asked why I didn't wear something more "mainstream"?

Same reason I drove a heavily modified Supra (R.I.P) instead of a vette. I loved it, it was incredibly engineered, it was fast - I mean fast, and there were only about 12,000 of them from 93.5-98. It suited me even though when they were a few folks found the idea of a 40-50k Toyota sports car somewhat unpalatable. That car is badass. She still captures my eye for a car that old.

There isn't anything manufactured that hasn't had QC problems. Guns, cars, watches, pots and pans.
I like Kobold. I won't pay MSRP. If I didn't lust for a Grand Seiko diver, I'd have more. I'm fascinated by MK's story and what he does with his life. Love to have a drink with the guy. That and the watches are good enough for me.

Bottom line, there isn't anybody or anything in my life where I find I love every little thing about them/it. Even my closest friends and family - why should a watch manufacturer be any different?
Last edited by Vern on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sinn UX
Korsbek Ocean Explorer
Kobold AD (fully polished)
Ball Spacemaster X-lume
DWP (14 nib, 85 worn by g/f)
Eterna KonTiki Diver
UTS 2000m Pacific Horizon Blue
Seiko Kinetic
Seiko Tuna
Sinn UX GSG9
Orient OS300 White face

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Vern wrote:I do agree with Rob in the original post that $750 is way too much for a bezel, but I do loves me some Kobolds.

Conversing once with a great salesman at Oliver Smith here locally while looking, but not buying any Pam's or IWC's, he inquired about my UTS 2000m (thanks Rob). Having previously discussed the Eterna I wore into the store previously he asked why I didn't wear something more "mainstream"?

Same reason I drove a heavily modified Supra (R.I.P) instead of a vette. I loved it, it was incredibly engineered, it was fast - I mean fast, and there were only about 12,000 of them from 93.5-98. It suited me even though when they were new folks found the idea of a 40-50k Toyota sports car somewhat unpalatable. That car is badass. She still captures my eye for a car that old.

There isn't anything manufactured that hasn't had QC problems. Guns, cars, watches, pots and pans.
I like Kobold. I won't pay MSRP. If I didn't lust for a Grand Seiko diver, I'd have more. I'm fascinated by MK's story and what he does with his life. Love to have a drink with the guy. That and the watches are good enough for me.

Bottom line, there isn't anybody or anything in my life where I find I love every little thing about them/it. Even my closest friends and family - why should a watch manufacturer be any different?
Turbo? My cousin has a n/a supra (maybe a 96, but not sure). Car is fast and has one hell of an ass on it. :worthless:

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Vern wrote:Bottom line, there isn't anybody or anything in my life where I find I love every little thing about them/it. Even my closest friends and family - why should a watch manufacturer be any different?
Of course not. But the number of complaints brought to light in this thread and countless others like it cannot be ignored. All opinions aside it advises when dealing with Kobold to practice due diligence and caveat emptor.
only accurate watches are interesting

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Threads like this solicit mainly negative feedback. Should I list all my positive experiences with them and the brand? Or the positive impression of the brand that my watchmaker has (4th gen guy who is/was Omega certified)?

I usually don't bother. You know what they say about your pearls and the swine.
:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:05 pm

matt.wu wrote: .....You know what they say about your pearls and the swine.
Hey Wu -

That "give a swine a pearl necklace" thing only applies in the deep, deep south :fro:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:25 pm

matt.wu wrote:Threads like this solicit mainly negative feedback. Should I list all my positive experiences with them and the brand? Or the positive impression of the brand that my watchmaker has (4th gen guy who is/was Omega certified)?

I usually don't bother. You know what they say about your pearls and the swine.
what do they say? :bootyshake: seriously....

I realize that these threads typically go downhill fast. I will add that I still have Kobolds in my collection and I will likely have more in the future.
I also would like to live a day in the life of MK and to a certain degree, there is probably a little bit of envy in a lot of the haters' regards to the company (myself included).
I really don't think he is in touch with his core customer base, but then again all I have are my experiences of dealing with the customer care, which typically leave me :scratch: Having said that, I still end up coming back for more, hoping things have changed and they never are..yet I still keep coming back for more :smack:

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:33 pm

I like the watches, but haven't had much luck buying direct from them.... Whether it was Brian or the sandwich artist....their QC consistently sucked with the AD...

I've had 4 phantoms that I really liked, but the damn things were always too small...haha...

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

YAwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Nomadz
Name: Nick

Post by Nomadz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:23 am

demer03 wrote:And makes bitchin watches.

Fact
'

This !!!! :thumbsup:
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Post by Tallguy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:57 am

Can we change the subject to Doxas now? :stir: :roll:

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:42 am

Vern wrote: I'm fascinated by MK's story and what he does with his life. Love to have a drink with the guy.

Rich kid and talented self-promoter who was bored with college so he started a watch company on his dad's dime? :grin:

sorry, couldn't resist.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:52 am

dnslater wrote:
Vern wrote: I'm fascinated by MK's story and what he does with his life. Love to have a drink with the guy.

Rich kid and talented self-promoter who was bored with college so he started a watch company on his dad's dime? :grin:

sorry, couldn't resist.
Sums it up nicely.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:56 am

dnslater wrote:

sorry, couldn't resist.
Oh Good Lord.

Vern
Name: Vern

Post by Vern » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:01 am

marchone wrote:
Vern wrote:Bottom line, there isn't anybody or anything in my life where I find I love every little thing about them/it. Even my closest friends and family - why should a watch manufacturer be any different?
Of course not. But the number of complaints brought to light in this thread and countless others like it cannot be ignored. All opinions aside it advises when dealing with Kobold to practice due diligence and caveat emptor.
Personally the number of complaints here and elsewhere provide me with some information, but for the most part I find them statistically insignificant. Nobody shits all over Sinn for their UX oil issue and misalignment of the second hand - both problems which were fixed for me by the factory after a lengthy visit. Once upon a time BMW M3's were popping motors and Glock's were breaking off frame rail tabs - both issues attributed to the manufacturer. And both brands certainly have their fanboys and naysayers. Same ole, same ole here, at least for me. It's not the defects that bother me, it's the after care experience or lack thereof from folks whose opinion I trust that gives me pause. But like others, it doesn't keep me from going back.
Sinn UX
Korsbek Ocean Explorer
Kobold AD (fully polished)
Ball Spacemaster X-lume
DWP (14 nib, 85 worn by g/f)
Eterna KonTiki Diver
UTS 2000m Pacific Horizon Blue
Seiko Kinetic
Seiko Tuna
Sinn UX GSG9
Orient OS300 White face

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:01 am

dnslater wrote:

sorry, couldn't resist.
The horror. I can't beleieve he would do something like that; jobs, taxes. He should have just loafed off his dad or gotten a reality show.

Let's end this silly banter and talk about other micros with great resale value; UTS, Ennebi, Kazimon.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:03 am

I miss the days when we talked about less controversial topics like guns, abortion, politics etc :)

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:06 am

unixshrk wrote:
dnslater wrote:

sorry, couldn't resist.
Oh Good Lord.

C'mon. I included a smiley. I actually have never owned a Kobold and have no opinion. Just stirring the pot. Back to guns..... and luxury boots.....
Last edited by dnslater on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:06 am

moishlashen wrote:I miss the days when we talked about less controversial topics like guns, abortion, politics etc :)

Hahaha yeah.
Need to go start a combo thread, guns, nuns, abortion, and politics all together.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 am

marchone wrote:I caution anyone about the aluminum bezel insert on the 857/757 series. My 757 UTC became badly scratched up with everyday kitchen use. It sits 1mm high on the outside.

I need to send it back to Sinn for bezel replacement and repair to the movement. I will consider selling it on its return to me.
It is indeed the weakest point of the watch. Have not banged mine up yet, and hope not to if I can help it. That said, it's a beast and my fav. Hope all goes well when you send it in. :thumbsup:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator