About Servicing....

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
f4nt0m4s

About Servicing....

Post by f4nt0m4s » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:59 pm

My family has come into possession of my late Grandfather's watch. It appears to be a vintage IWC cal 89.

I got some help at WUS identifying the watch, and the advice was to get it serviced before wearing it: something I totally agree with. The watch does work when you wind it up, and it appears to be problem-free. At the same time I don't think the watch has ever been serviced. Reading up on the movement, it seems these are notorious for being workhorse movements, and people have reported their watch still works 60 years later without a service. At this point the watch has a lot of sentimental value and I think looking into a service/inspection is good idea to preserve the movement.

Obviously finding a good jeweler is important, but what is the average cost to get a watch serviced, regulated, and cleaned up? The case and the crystal could use cleaning, the movement obviously needs to be cleaned and serviced, and I would assume the watch needs to be pressure tested? I'm hoping all the parts are in order as well, but one step at a time.
I Am Jack's Colon

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Re: About Servicing....

Post by River Rat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:55 pm

The price for a service should be 150-250 depends on if any parts need to be replaced.And only diver watches need to be pressure tested.The most I ever paid for a service was around 600.00 but it was a Tudor sub and Rolex did the work ouch.Local watch maker's charge less.Check out your phone book for watch repair and call for prices and if they work on vintage watches.There is another in my area that I might have do work on my eterna but he will not give me a price until he looks at it.If it's a good price he will get the work.

f4nt0m4s

Post by f4nt0m4s » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:05 pm

River Rat wrote:The price for a service should be 150-250 depends on if any parts need to be replaced.And only diver watches need to be pressure tested.The most I ever paid for a service was around 600.00 but it was a Tudor sub and Rolex did the work ouch.Local watch maker's charge less.Check out your phone book for watch repair and call for prices and if they work on vintage watches.There is another in my area that I might have do work on my eterna but he will not give me a price until he looks at it.If it's a good price he will get the work.
Thanks for the tips, all very good advice. Makes sense that you do not pressure test a non-dive watch, don't know why I didn't realize that. :banghead:

150-250 would be great, especially considering I don't think the watch has ever been serviced.
I Am Jack's Colon

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:17 pm

When I was given my vintage JLC from my uncle,
I had it serviced for $125 by a watch repair guy that specializes in vintage clocks and watches. I'm sure there are quite a few good shops around the Chicago area. Maybe ask around here or WUS (especially the vintage forum) for some recommendations for a good reasonable shop.
If the crystal is acrylic (looks like it in your photo) it should easily buff out with polywatch (or plastic scratch remover from an auto parts store or even toothpaste). You can lightly hit the bigger scratches with 1000 or even 2000 grit sandpaper then buff out with the others.
When it is serviced you might have the case/bracelet cleaned, but I would take some time and think about how much buffing you want done on the case. If you bought it, who cares where the wear and tear came from. But since it came from your grandfather, most of the wear may be sentimental.

What a great heirloom you got there, it is fantastic!
Greg

f4nt0m4s

Post by f4nt0m4s » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:50 pm

DoctorC wrote:When I was given my vintage JLC from my uncle,
I had it serviced for $125 by a watch repair guy that specializes in vintage clocks and watches. I'm sure there are quite a few good shops around the Chicago area. Maybe ask around here or WUS (especially the vintage forum) for some recommendations for a good reasonable shop.
If the crystal is acrylic (looks like it in your photo) it should easily buff out with polywatch (or plastic scratch remover from an auto parts store or even toothpaste). You can lightly hit the bigger scratches with 1000 or even 2000 grit sandpaper then buff out with the others.
When it is serviced you might have the case/bracelet cleaned, but I would take some time and think about how much buffing you want done on the case. If you bought it, who cares where the wear and tear came from. But since it came from your grandfather, most of the wear may be sentimental.

What a great heirloom you got there, it is fantastic!
You're right, I probably won't do that much buffing to it. I just want to clean up the case and bring out the gold a little! The bracelet has seen better days as well, and is probably best left off the watch and held onto for sentimental value.

By the way...being the lurker that I am....I remember when you posted about your JLC restoration over at WUS on the SC&O forum. That is a fine watch you have, and you did a great job restoring it. Vintage pieces are amazing, the more I see them the more I get interested in them.
I Am Jack's Colon