Vintage Aquadive dupes out there

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
sharkfin
Name: Dave

Vintage Aquadive dupes out there

Post by sharkfin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Well, been off many forums for a while, and I've just discovered I've been duped all this time. :(

This thread on WUS by Scott-timesofplenty exposes a knock off enigma. The Aquadive vintage piece I own.

Link: fixed
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/fake-v ... 08213.html

Got mine from Tanwill in Singapore, who apparently got it from Noah Fuller's collection.
My copy has all the signs of a dupe. :shock:

One of my faves has been a lie all this time. This sucks.
WTF, why would anybody knock off this non mass appeal watch. Certainly not monetary gains IMO.
This is just wacked. ??? :shrug:

I guess knocking off Rolex wasn't enough. lol. :doh:

edit: fixed the link
Last edited by sharkfin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Vintage Aquadive dupes out there

Post by dnslater » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 pm

That sucks Dave. Sorry to hear. I had the same questions you did. Seems like a lot of work to make a decent reproduction of an obscure vintage watch. Was the watch copied long ago or recently and aged artificially?

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:53 pm

Nothing is safe from copying, there are even fake Invitas!

(although those may be better than the originals)

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:56 pm

Damn.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:09 pm

That sucks.. sorry dude.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:35 pm

That sooo sucks.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

sfglenrock
Name: Steve

Post by sfglenrock » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 pm

Sorry to hear, Dave. Really does suck.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:31 pm

Damn...

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 pm

That blows. I read a little of that thread the other day. At least Scott brought it to the forefront.

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Sorry to hear Dave, but check out this thread...

http://www.pmwf.com/Phorum/read.php?4,4 ... msg-469687

It does not look too good for Mr. Tanwill...

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm

damn and i thought tanwill was one of the good guys!!!!

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:51 pm

I read that chain of PM's, as posted on PMWF, and it looks to me as of Tan was trying to convey; "I know this is bad, but I was surprised too so it isn't my fault". I think that's unacceptable. He didn't offer to do anything to rectify the situation, which would really piss me off too.

Sent using Tapatalk

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:37 am

Damn, man.... Dave, I have coveted that watch since the day you posted it and I damn near tried to buy it from Noah.

Are you sure it's fake?

I'll give you a hundred for it. :thumbsup:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:45 am

Thanks for the post showing the differences. I find it beyond amazing what some assholes will do to rip people off.

Just think ..... if those same assholes worked to help people and produce righteous products what a great world this would be.

Faking a watch like that... beyond belief. :scream:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 am

Sorry to hear this - it really stinks.

I'm surprised by the same thing you are - I can see faking Rolex, Omega, Panerai, Patek, etc., but why fake what is essentially a niche vintage watch that's probably only going to appeal to a very small number of people? I guess you really do have to be extra careful.

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:15 am

Link doesn't work for me?

Sorry, Dave. You definitely have had your share of bad luck!

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:22 am

Really sorry about all of this Dave.

Jeff
Name: Jeff

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:08 pm

FAKE AQUADIVE UP DATE PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE ONE
AQUADIVE FAKE-UPDATE

Unfortunately I too fell victim to the seller in December 2011, We will now refer to him as
Hong Kong Fooey,No 1 fake guy, Id rather not use his name as we all know who he is!

This is what I have done so far to try to get my money back.

Firstly I sent him the link about the fake Aquadive watches on this forum, and received no reply, So then I sent the following message through ebay to try to get a response

Dear watch-navi,

Right, you have obviously checked the link I sent you, because you have now removed the watch from your listing. Unfortunately you sold me one of these watches in December 2011 for the sum of £1094.56. I would like this money refunded to my pay pal account this is my email for you to do this
tonkawilson@aol.com
If you do not refund the money I will report the matter to eBay. I have checked your feedback back to 2008 and you have sold 13 of exactly the same watch with the same serial no on. I will email everyone of these 13 buyers with the link and no doubt all of them will also report you to eBay and PayPal. I will then go on every watch forum and tell them all the full story relating to these watches and your selling of them! Given that eBay has just been fined a substantial sum for allowing sellers to list counterfeit goods, I doubt they will allow you to continue as a seller. I also intend to contact the police in the UK and Hong Kong regarding this. I do believe this is fraud and obtaining money by deception.
It is of course entirely up to you how you wish to proceed it would seem your best course of action would be to refund my money in full immediately.

- wilson1071

here is the response I finally received.

Dear wilson1071,

Yes, I have checked the link you sent me, however, I do not think it is entirely fake. I bought these watches from a dealer locally, who claimed that he had assembled these watches from original parts from a closeout factory. Unless you can get some sort of letter from an authorised Aquadive dealership, there is nothing much that I can do to get your (or my) money back. I had ended the current auction becasue I had already sold it locally. Thanks for understanding.

- watch-navi

you will see that his response relating to the watches is quite different from his description in the original listing i.e. he now describes the watches as being built up from parts, no mention of this in his listing description, just 100% authentic!

I then went through all his feedback to find another 12 persons who had also bought one of these watches and sent them the original link from this forum about the fake watches.

5 have now responded confirming that they all have the same serial nos.

I have contacted ebay and paypal to report the seller and suggested that all the other victims did the same. I am shocked that despite my report to ebay, the seller remains active on their site,

As I am in the UK and at ebays suggestion I have contacted the police who immediately passed the complaint to the action for fraud department. At the time of writing the investigation is ongoing. Can I ask that all other victims please contact me at tonkawilson@aol.com with your full name and either your telephone number or email address, this will then be passed to the fraud department. The more information the fraud squad have on the extent of this guys activities the better chance we have of getting some type of restitution.
To any of the victims who are planning to send back their watches for a refund. I advise you to check the sellers history on charge backs. It would seem that he has a history of offering a full refund on receipt of the goods back. He then states that he received back an empty box! Its win win all the way for him, not only does he get to keep your money, but he also has the watch back, no doubt ready to sell on again.
I'm not a member of many watch forums but please fell free to share my post with any other forums, so any other victims or owners of these watches, who may be at this time, unaware of their watches history, can contact me with their details.

Jeff wilson

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Watch-navi too? This is a different seller than mentioned in the OP. I and several others have purchased from him before without issue.
This is for shit, though. Thirteen with the same serial number, what a fraud.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

sharkfin

Post by sharkfin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 pm

hks3sgte wrote:Link doesn't work for me?

Sorry, Dave. You definitely have had your share of bad luck!
sorry about that, fixed now.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/fake-v ... 08213.html

sharkfin

Post by sharkfin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:55 pm

wow, so much drama.

Thanks for the commiserations guys. ;)

I'm not sure if all those guys are connected.(tanwill/his buddy/watch-navi)

Here's my take initially when i got mine over a year ago.

I noticed the caseback was sterilized, scrubbed clean from any serials/engravings.
But, perhaps it was just some imperfect or defective cases being used to cobble together this watch.
Since its vintage, parts are damn scarce for these watches. So I can see some watchmaker with skills and enough parts to piece it together.
But who the hell knows. :shrug:

I got to thinking, all these pieces seem to be coming out of Asia. Probable HK, China, or Singapore.
Lets see, either somebody found a bunch of old/dead stock parts, and decided put them to use and make up a batch to sell, creating some frankenwatches for the collector market.

Or, those freaking Doxa guys up to their antics again. :stir:
Felca watch got the memo to bang off a series of Chinese knock offs since that have the capacity and tech.

Who knows, all speculation. :lol:

Before I bought into this vintage, I scoured the net for data. There's not much info out there about these until now.
And all the pics I've seen, confirmed mine was/could be legit.
But the funny thing here is all the pics out there on WWW, were pics of all these fakes.
Most people/collectors based it on those, and probably would never have realized they've been duped, without the discovery of the same serial numbers to many of the casebacks.

It sucks to find out my watch pedigree is not its all cracked up to be.
But its a watch, I've got other shit to stress about.

I've always loved this design, and still think its a cool piece that I'll most likely keep.
I'll have to crack it open one of these days to see whats really under the hood. Hmm chinese or eta mov't?
Who knows, parts these watches could still be old parts from Aquadive, just cobbled together with whats available.

In any hobby, if you have an enthusiast willing to part their money for something, there will be crooks to capitalize on the opportunity. Sad fact.

Be careful out there. Enjoy life and be happy. :grin:

Dave.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Sorry for you ending up with a fake Dave.Some one bought from watcnav every thing he sell's is way over priced and I been told by another vintage watch collector to stay clear of that dirt bag on fleabay.Hey Dave I once been in your spot when I bought a WWII british issue WWW CYMA it turned out to be one great fake they did a great job on it.Bought it at a NAWCC show I was lucky I got my money back on that one.

sharkfin

Post by sharkfin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:08 pm

River Rat wrote:Sorry for you ending up with a fake Dave.Some one bought from watcnav every thing he sell's is way over priced and I been told by another vintage watch collector to stay clear of that dirt bag on fleabay.Hey Dave I once been in your spot when I bought a WWII british issue WWW CYMA it turned out to be one great fake they did a great job on it.Bought it at a NAWCC show I was lucky I got my money back on that one.
Ya, that guy hikes up his prices thru the roof.
I think he's sold a bunch of those watches.
Maybe he's the one fabricating all these perhaps?

Thanks for sharing. Glad you got a happy ending. ;)

Dave

timesofplenty
Name: Scott Allison

Post by timesofplenty » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:11 pm

I feel for you, Dave, Jeff, and everyone else who got taken, but please see the post on WUS:
There is no indication that any part of these watches is genuine or old beyond (possibly) the movement.
The one I personally inspected had a very very clean mvt marked ETA 2783.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:55 pm