Watch got noticed today at work

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Re: Watch got noticed today at work

Post by jeckyll » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:15 pm

apnk wrote:I would get compliments when I worked at a school and only when I wore colorful G-shocks and one time when I was in college a girl that always sat next me was staring at my U1 and without a word she reached over and to touch the crystal because it looked like it did not have one.
... as long as she didn't touch you anywhere else because it seemed to her that you didn't have one :shock:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:16 pm

I've had a few compliments from some girls at work on my Tuna and I feel uncomfortable because I think it's just because it's big.
I got a compliment on my black Tudor snowflake when I had it from a hot nurse practitioner with big fake tits, she said "that's a nice one, I like that". Another reason I shouldn't have sold it.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
craniotes wrote:
dukerules wrote:BTW, do you guys actually like it when people notice your watches? I don't (except when the occasional hottie does, because she sure as hell isn't interested in me).
The only time I minded was many years ago at around 4am on the 1 Local headed uptown to Dr. Mom's apartment (I was in my early twenties, and yes, I still lived at home -- sue me). Anyway, a couple of brothers sitting across from me were giving my Rolex a hard stare and I was forced to wonder whether or not I'd be leaving the train with my beloved 16800 on my wrist.

Finally, they got off at 42nd Street, but not before one of them said under his breath, "That shit is fake!"

I put it in my pocket for the remainder of my journey home. :shifty:

Regards,
Adam
I remember riding that train to your Moms.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

I really laughed at this. Good one!
DEATH FROM ABOVE

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 pm

I was at a meeting with some friends most don't know I collect watches believe it or not and one friend notice the Heuer Bund it does stand out.And another time I was in a grocery store in Bozman Montana and a women notice my Omega Speedmaster she said nice watch.That's about it.

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 pm

greenlightning wrote:Only had my watches noticed a handful of times. One time had a guy say, "hey, is that a panerai? Mind if I check it out. I've only seen them online.". He was wearing a Mickey mouse watch... Only other times was when it was a Rolex, and they were more comments about how they were probably getting overcharged.

Do you ever mention someone else's watch when you see them in the wild? I was golfing with a guy wearing a Lange a couple months ago. I assumed he was a watch guy, so I brought it up. He knew nothing about it and could care less about watches. Said his dad bought it for him when he graduated medical school.
Nothing pisses me off more than dudes with amazing watches who can only tell you how much they paid for them, or worse, those who received them as gifts and could care less about them.

Arrrggghh! :scream:

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:30 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Grahamcombat wrote:
craniotes wrote:
dukerules wrote:BTW, do you guys actually like it when people notice your watches? I don't (except when the occasional hottie does, because she sure as hell isn't interested in me).
The only time I minded was many years ago at around 4am on the 1 Local headed uptown to Dr. Mom's apartment (I was in my early twenties, and yes, I still lived at home -- sue me). Anyway, a couple of brothers sitting across from me were giving my Rolex a hard stare and I was forced to wonder whether or not I'd be leaving the train with my beloved 16800 on my wrist.

Finally, they got off at 42nd Street, but not before one of them said under his breath, "That shit is fake!"

Regards,
Adam

I really laughed at this. Good one!
You stay out of this, hillbilly; this is between me, Graham and Dr. Mom.

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:35 pm

I have to say there was nothing between me & Dr. Mom.

...nothing but sweat and fulfilment.

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:I have to say there was nothing between me & Dr. Mom.

...nothing but sweat and fulfilment.

:shock: :rimshot: :roll:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Hillbilly?
DEATH FROM ABOVE

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Honestly, my watches always get noticed by somebody, whether its been coworkers, waitresses at restaurants, bartenders, cashiers, etc.

I can always tell when someone is actually a watch person, or they just notice it and say nice watch.
I think alot notice cause in my area, not everyone is walking around with a good watch, or some not at all, so that is why some notice and comment.
Alot of the time, I get, that is a nice watch, or that is very different etc. Every now and then somebody is really interested and it sparks a convo.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Depends, but for the most part, yeah, I like it.

I think its like anything else, like if someone comments on your car, or your clothes etc.

I dont buy watches to be noticed, but its cool when someone does.
But like Adam, I once had someone in a shit bar comment.
He was like, that is a really nice watch, what kind is it.....how much was it.
He kept inching closer.
I told him....its a watch. I got it out of a machine. Now sit back and dont talk to me.

He got the hint. LOL

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 pm

I was on a flight once and a passenger recognized my Sinn U2, he had a 800-series chrono so we talked for a bit.

While down range a guy walked over and looked at my Kobold SMG-1 and said "Hmmm".

Most don't know or don't say anything. My tendency for Sinn and Kobold keep it below most peoples radar.

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 pm

this is one of the reasons why i love titanium. i can wear my IWC Ti pieces in all sorts of places (i ride the subways a lot!) and no one has a clue what i'm wearing and they just look right past it.

at work, the people in my department know that i'm a watch guy but only two of them have cared enough to really look up some of my watches to figure out what i've got. i *prefer* that they don't know. only a WIS would understand why someone would spend thousands on a watch, let along why only owning a few would never do for a collector. the only family member that I've disclosed a small idea of what i've spent on this hobby was my brother-in-law and i made him promise to not tell my sister afterwards. [and i wasn't terribly worried if he did tell my sister since it was a small disclosure. ;) ]

it's rare that complete strangers have complimented my watches and i don't mind in the least.

>>Finally, they got off at 42nd Street, but not before one of them said under his breath, "That shit is fake!"

it must have been the cheap suit that gave you away, Adam. ..................just kidding! ;)

craniotes wrote:The only time I minded was many years ago at around 4am on the 1 Local headed uptown to Dr. Mom's apartment (I was in my early twenties, and yes, I still lived at home -- sue me). Anyway, a couple of brothers sitting across from me were giving my Rolex a hard stare and I was forced to wonder whether or not I'd be leaving the train with my beloved 16800 on my wrist.

Regards,
Adam

sharkfin
Name: Dave

Post by sharkfin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Ya, happens every now and then. :geek:

The citrus dials got a lot of attention. Monster, Doxa, Enzo... orange rocks! :rock:
Gshocks get the most attention from both genders and all ages.
LM7, Tuna, Sea touch, X-33 received curious attention due to their unique oddities mostly.
Tsunami for some reason gets "is that a rolex?" alot. Too many times. :shrug:
LW One, Reverso, MM, GS diver, get compliments by many of the female persuasion. :thumbsup:
Last nye party, the hostess went gaga over my GS diver. I let her to try it on. Was a good night. :mrgreen:
Was approached in a bar by group of chicks notice my watch and were enamored by the purple/blue tint of the sapphire glass. :lol:
On a gig, talked diving trips with a few VP's wearing Rollies as I had the Tsunami or some Seiko of the day.

I usually spot a cool watch and acknowledge the wearer with a compliment. :ugeek:

The GS diver garners a lot of positive compliments and attention.
When the ask what I'm wearing, I just say "why its just a seiko". ;)

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:57 pm

In the Ghan worked with a JTAC who was a F18 pilot. He noticed my Aerospace and commented he had the same model with his Sqn logo on the dial. Only other time was going through US Immigration & the Customs Officer complimented my GMT II, I said it was a present to self after coming back from the Ghan that year.
Outside of this never, and rarely comment on another persons watch unless I know them.
Last edited by 93 Turbo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

belligero

Post by belligero » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:18 am

93 Turbo wrote:[...]Outside if this never, and rarely comment on another persons watch unless I know them.
Same here; I keep them shitz stashed under my cuff so there's rarely a comment. Of the handful I've received, the one I most clearly remember was regarding a slim 36 mm handwinder, and how it was nice to see a non-bling-a-fied watch on a young fella. That made my day!
:thumbsup:

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 am

craniotes wrote:At work it happens all the time, but then I'm known as the "watch guy" in the office, so folks stop by to see what's on my wrist or ask questions about what to buy.

However, in the wild I'm rarely asked about my watches. The last time I had someone comment in public, I was riding the subway and a dude wanted to know what kind of watch my AP Jumbo was. That was about a month ago. Otherwise, no one seems to notice or care.

Regards,
Adam
This^
Except the AP jumbo part :mrgreen:

AC, next time a stranger walks up to you tell him the watch is fake, before you get robbed
:doh:
Pasquale

NSC

Vern
Name: Vern

Post by Vern » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:12 am

Other than other watch guys I know, only twice I can remember - both wearing a Sinn UX. One guy owned a U1, the other was a co-worker that liked how the dial looked.
Sinn UX
Korsbek Ocean Explorer
Kobold AD (fully polished)
Ball Spacemaster X-lume
DWP (14 nib, 85 worn by g/f)
Eterna KonTiki Diver
UTS 2000m Pacific Horizon Blue
Seiko Kinetic
Seiko Tuna
Sinn UX GSG9
Orient OS300 White face

belligero

Post by belligero » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:29 am

Vern wrote:Other than other watch guys I know, only twice I can remember - both wearing a Sinn UX. One guy owned a U1, the other was a co-worker that liked how the dial looked.
UX is one of the few watches I could see normal people noticing and commenting (positively) on... the optical effect from the Fluorinert-filled case is simply unreal. That's a hell of a cool piece, by the way.
:thumbsup:

Hornet01
Name: Gordo

Post by Hornet01 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 am

BBK357 wrote:I've had a few compliments from some girls at work on my Tuna and I feel uncomfortable because I think it's just because it's big.
What? :shock:

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:55 am

Hornet01 wrote:
BBK357 wrote:I've had a few compliments from some girls at work on my Tuna and I feel uncomfortable because I think it's just because it's big.
I've had women who were uncomfortable at first, because it's big, but eventually they accomodated themselves to the increased size and they enjoyed it.

You never had that problem?

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 pm

dukerules wrote:I get a few comments a year...usually about PAMs.
I get a few comments about Pam's too,when we are in Tenerife :lol:
My watches......nah :shrug:

Andy :uj:

Hornet01
Name: Gordo

Post by Hornet01 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 pm

hazmatman wrote:
Hornet01 wrote:
I've had women who were uncomfortable at first, because it's big, but eventually they accomodated themselves to the increased size and they enjoyed it.

You never had that problem?
Nope.

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 pm

snootydog wrote:
dukerules wrote:I get a few comments a year...usually about PAMs.
I get a few comments about Pam's too,when we are in Tenerife :lol:
My watches......nah :shrug:

Pretty sneaky, Andy. :bananastoner:

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
craniotes wrote:

Regards,
Adam

Stellar.

Quit being homos.

:gayumbrella:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty: