Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Re: Date Window Positioning

Post by DMB » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:37 am

Inasmuch as I don't like date windows at 4:00, I REALLY hate those round date windows at 4:00 that seem to be too small and look like they are cutting off the edges of the number.

lorsban

Date Window Positioning

Post by lorsban » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi guys,

Does anyone else here have a problem with the date window being positioned at the 4, or there abouts? You know, off-centered and diagonal?

It bugs me to no end. It just messes up the balance of the dial. They probably wanted to preserve the markings but they cluttered the dial, since all the markings (logo, print) are upright and then you have this off-centered box with a slanted diagonal number.

The only exceptions are if the numbers were upright, and if they did it stealthily. Examples are the Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT - number is at the 2 and upright, or B&R - number is at the 4 and upright, Sinn has it off-centered and slanted but they keep it stealth - EZM3 is at the 4 but its small and barely noticeable.

I'm bitching because there's this Ball Skindiver I really like but every time I see that date, it bugs me. I mean, why why why? Its supposed to be based on a classic model but even the classic version has the day date at the 3. This new one has the day on the 3 and the date between the 4 and 5. What the...? Damn shame. Cause I like nearly everything else about the watch plus that cool mesh-like bracelet.

Oh well...

Rant over. Lol

lorsban

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:02 pm

The stupid, unnecessary day window bugs me more than the off center date display on the Skindiver.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

I know what you mean.. I like date wheels, but when they are inappropriately positioned, I usually only keep the watch for a week or so.

Oh, wait.. :think: never mind.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:03 pm

I like the date at 4. Less distracting than when they are at 3. And yes, day-dates kill me, though there are plenty of pieces cool enough to make me overlook that trait. In a perfect world, where I'm loaded, don't need to work, and thus could care less about the date, I'd buy no-date watches exclusively.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:09 pm

3 or 6 (on old chronos)

That's it
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:15 pm

I prefer non-date watches, but the current selection leaves me less than thrilled. I suppose it's part of why I own two Planet Oceans, as the date is not obtrusive, is at three, and doesn't have the cyclops. I no-date PO would probably be my perfect watch, especially with a PloProf clasp.

Sent using Tapatalk

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:39 pm

Date at 3 or no date at all, please.

lorsban

Post by lorsban » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:47 pm

deepcdvr wrote:I know what you mean.. I like date wheels, but when they are inappropriately positioned, I usually only keep the watch for a week or so.

Oh, wait.. :think: never mind.
haha! I've sold both of my off-positioned date-watches; Anonimo Millemetri, Certina DS Action Diver.

Actually, if only they set it so the number is upright, it'd be ok, cool even. When they do it slanted, it's as if it wasn't intentional or that they were too cheap to even align it properly.

belligero

Post by belligero » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:05 pm

I prefer 3 or 6, but it's not a big deal.

I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at one of these because of the 4:30 positioning:

Doesn't bug me on the 856 a whole lot, either:

It depends on the design, as most things can look decent if they're done well.

On the other hand, there's the good 'ol TRACHYMETER. The date window is the least of this one's problems:

Arial strikes again!
:thumbsup:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:18 am

I've tried to see if I have a strong preference, but I don't.

I like it at 3 on some, 6 on some, and even 3:30 on the Soarway Diver just works well for me. :shrug:

On others, I'll hate the date at 4, or 3, or 6, or 2.
:htfu:

lorsban

Post by lorsban » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:10 am

matt.wu wrote:I've tried to see if I have a strong preference, but I don't.

I like it at 3 on some, 6 on some, and even 3:30 on the Soarway Diver just works well for me. :shrug:

On others, I'll hate the date at 4, or 3, or 6, or 2.
Ya it depends on the watch, I suppose. But, generally, I don't mind it if the date were in the 3, 6, 9 and even 12 position haha! It's just the in-between positions and diagonal numbers that bug me. It doesn't make any sense in my opinion. There are 4 possible positions available, and even if these weren't available for some reason, you can at least make it upright - like Glashutte Original's Panomatic Date.

I read somewhere that the slanted or diagonal number in the date was meant for quick reading when the hand is in a diagonal position. True, while driving, the date becomes upright...but, since when did reading the date become so important that making it easy to read during "activities" was vital? Maybe for long distance swimming? Where I'm swimming many days non-stop? I guess that works...I started the 15th, swim, swim, swim, I glance at my left wrist and quickly see 17, 2 days to go! Or rally driving, where I'm on the wheel for weeks. Paris-Dakar style. lol

SpaceCowboy
Name: Arne

Post by SpaceCowboy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 am

hks3sgte wrote:Date at 3 or no date at all, please.
With you! Date windows are tricky. Usually it is a miss. If I see an SM300 or a Sub with date, I think "ok".... When I see it without date, I think "awright!" :rock:

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:58 am

These days I'm not bothered where the date window is because I can't see the date without putting my reading glasses on :grin:
If I actually used the date function I would prefer it at the 6 position I think. Although I don't use the date function,I like to set the date right :shrug:
Andy :uj:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:39 am

lorsban wrote:Hi guys,

Does anyone else here have a problem with the date window being positioned at the 4, or there abouts? You know, off-centered and diagonal?

It bugs me to no end. It just messes up the balance of the dial. They probably wanted to preserve the markings but they cluttered the dial, since all the markings (logo, print) are upright and then you have this off-centered box with a slanted diagonal number.

The only exceptions are if the numbers were upright, and if they did it stealthily. Examples are the Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT - number is at the 2 and upright, or B&R - number is at the 4 and upright, Sinn has it off-centered and slanted but they keep it stealth - EZM3 is at the 4 but its small and barely noticeable.

I'm bitching because there's this Ball Skindiver I really like but every time I see that date, it bugs me. I mean, why why why? Its supposed to be based on a classic model but even the classic version has the day date at the 3. This new one has the day on the 3 and the date between the 4 and 5. What the...? Damn shame. Cause I like nearly everything else about the watch plus that cool mesh-like bracelet.

Oh well...

Rant over. Lol

lorsban

=========

I know what you mean....Liked the Skindiver until I saw the split date...date at the 3 and it would have been
a winner...

I typically prefer dates at 3 or 6...

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:13 am

The only date position I really dislike is the 9:00 spot.

No date dials... :love:

But, the position of the date window is not a big deal for me if the dial "works" to my eye. If I had to pick a favorite spot for a date window it would be 3 on my divers, 6 on my chronos.

Wearing this one today... and one of the reasons I love this little watch...... no date.

One thing I almost always like best about a date window... is that the date be in white on a black wheel. (for black dials only, of course.)

unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

CesarG
Mexican

Post by CesarG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:01 am

T.R. wrote:
One thing I almost always like best about a date window... is that the date be in white on a black wheel.
I agree. A black on white date wheel looks cheap for some reason.

Dante221
Name: Dante

Post by Dante221 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:00 pm

I have close to 30 watches in my "stable" and not a single
one has the date at the "4" position.
The dial symmetry is ruined IMHO.
Take for example the new Doxa 3 register chrono-
the date position kills the watch for me!
Dante
"For I do not seek to understand
that I may believe ; rather
I believe in order to understand"
St. Anselm

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:14 pm

the date window needs to match up with the crown position.

CesarG
Mexican

Post by CesarG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:05 pm

But Damn if I'll deny a BPFF ot a PP1200m

lorsban

Post by lorsban » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Dante221 wrote:I have close to 30 watches in my "stable" and not a single
one has the date at the "4" position.
The dial symmetry is ruined IMHO.
Take for example the new Doxa 3 register chrono-
the date position kills the watch for me!
Dante
Exactly. Like I said, it makes zero sense for me when they do it that way given the other better options available.

However, there are exceptions, like if it was done where the date is upright. Or if it were somewhat integrated with the dial - where instead of a marker, you have the date occupying the same approximate size as the markers. Or discreet like Sinn, minimalist, sometimes using a dark color for the number with black background.

You know, stuff like that which gives the impression that the designers thought it out - unlike in some cases where it seems like the designers smoked weed or had one too many beers and decided to just cut a hole Wherever.