LUM-TEC visit

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
justsellbrgs
Name: John

LUM-TEC visit

Post by justsellbrgs » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:58 am

I stopped in to see LUM-TEC yesterday. Chris Weigand was not in as one of his kids was sick.

One of his sales engineers was nice enough to spend 30-40 minutes talking watches and showing me the full line. Very nice watches for the price. LT does a great job with quality control. They sweat over each watch to make sure the quality is up to standards.

Although they offer ETA movements in some lines it looks like the Miyota and Seiko movements will be what is seen in future models along with quartz. They have offered Soprod on a few items and also movements from Slava. From what I was told the Japan movements are workhorses and are up to par with ETA. It’s good to see LT is exploring many options on movements and offering customers alternatives. ETA will not be available so they have thought ahead.

The Combat line is very nice and will undergo few charges for 2012. Nice sized watch, dials are great. The Ti version was very nice.

The M line is a cushion case style. Wears nice at 44mm, slightly big but nice. Many options including bronze and tungsten. Looks like the cases will be getting bigger in 2012 – pushing the limit for many in the 7 inch wrist size range.

The V line interested me most. Very nice watch with a unique design. $865-900 on leather with rubber included. Bracelet is an extra $150ish.
22mm lugs… wears smaller than the M line and fits well on a 7 inch wrist. The design is very unique and eye catching when on the wrist.

I applaud these guys for coming up with their own designs and adding the “Lume” to attract customers. Also nice to see they are highly quality conscious and pushing to offer customers options in terms of movements. All located right here in the USA.

Had my camera but since Chris was out I didn't want to push myself on the unsuspecting....

http://www.lum-tec.com/about-lumtec/?___store=lumtec_en

http://www.lum-tec.com/

:cheers:
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: LUM-TEC visit

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:09 am

I have owned a few and the quality for the money is fantastic. CS is top notch and they are a bunch of nice guys as well.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

fastward
Fast Eddie

LUM-TEC visit

Post by fastward » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:26 am

Mentor FTW.

Sent via messenger pigeon.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks! I like their products. Nice to know they are dedicated to QC. I've had several boutique watches this year that were sub par..
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:38 am

I've always been a fan. The combat hand wind was an enjoyable piece that I knocked about Autralia with.

Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:46 am

fastward wrote:Mentor FTW.

Mentor = snowbelt, Lake Effect......getting pounded today.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:12 am

nice write up, John and much appreciated. off to go check out a few of their lines.....

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:22 am

justsellbrgs wrote:

Last time I was in Mentor, they received a foot of snow in 6 hours. Driving back to the hotel, I was cut off and ended up driving off of the highway into a snow drift.

Good times.

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:41 am

I like the V line watches too, I wish they had all the minute markers on the chapter ring though. It kind of reminds me of the IWC Ingenieur which I like too. I never seen these on a bracelet though and I think they would be great.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:13 am

CGSshorty wrote:I have owned a few and the quality for the money is fantastic. CS is top notch and they are a bunch of nice guys as well.
+1 I have dealt with them in the past and they are good people for sure. and I like what he has done considering what he started off doing.

el presidente
Name: Roar

LUM-TEC visit

Post by el presidente » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:45 am

fastward wrote:
justsellbrgs wrote:

Last time I was in Mentor, they received a foot of snow in 6 hours. Driving back to the hotel, I was cut off and ended up driving off of the highway into a snow drift.

Good times.
Noob
Pikachu is a virgin!

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:09 am

V series looks like LW style .
Pasquale

NSC

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:23 am

el presidente wrote:
fastward wrote:
justsellbrgs wrote:

Good times.
Noob
Nah, it was a rental, so no harm, no foul.

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:33 am

Since the visit I researched and decided to stalk for the V1....... found one.

.... a nice watch for the money...

:cheers:

demer03

Post by demer03 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:58 pm

You've got me thinking of finding a Combat B1 again....

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:01 pm

demer03 wrote:You've got me thinking of finding a Combat B1 again....

Uh oh, a new obsession...........

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:01 pm

patstarrx wrote:V series looks like LW style .
yeah but I think LumTec's will actual sell.

I dig the V series but not the shitty round date window!!! :puke: but it is manlier looking than a AP. :fro:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:02 pm

hey John did you see any Resco' while you were there?

demer03

Post by demer03 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:12 pm

fastward wrote:
demer03 wrote:You've got me thinking of finding a Combat B1 again....

Uh oh, a new obsession...........
Old obsession...had two before...rinse and repeat....

Techart

Post by Techart » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Which parts of lumtec products are 'made in usa'? other than the movements, all of their parts are from china. 4yrs ago when i went to my 1st HK watch fair, catalogue watches which were openly displayed back then are, i believe, still part of lumtec's current lineup. Compared to other decent china watches by fullswing n longio (ex benarus, helson crepas), lumtecs are at least 1-2 steps behind in terms of quality, yet they sell for more money. :shrug: :shrug: Imho lumtec are way overpriced

china company that offered the watches
http://www.matime.com/

they claim their black watches to be coated in usa with 'titanium carbide PVD hard coating.? seriously? have u seen any firearms carbide coated that does this?
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/ ... /59028.htm

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:54 pm

They have been taking a lot of heat over their new V series bracelet. First the screws were snapping off in the links because they were loctited in and now the PVD models are scratching and guys are complaining the links aren't coated before assembly, so there are bare spots between the links. I have been a fan in the past but they shit the bed on this one.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:00 pm

CGSshorty wrote:They have been taking a lot of heat over their new V series bracelet. First the screws were snapping off in the links because they were loctited in and now the PVD models are scratching and guys are complaining the links aren't coated before assembly, so there are bare spots between the links. I have been a fan in the past but they shit the bed on this one.

maybe the PVD - never easy on the finish.

The bracelet is fine in terms of construction.... guys that are bitching are lightweights. Screws pins are fine.... loctite is minimal. Lots of links and they have a half link for best fit. I don't see the issues on standard bracelet, more likely guys that don;t know too much about sizing. Those that say they prefer split pins are nuts.... split pins blow.

I can show these guys some TAG bracelets that were shit....... along with several other micros that resembled junk.

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:02 pm

toxicavenger wrote:hey John did you see any Resco' while you were there?
negative.... but wasn't looking to hard.... did see some models with the Slava movement.

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Techart wrote:Which parts of lumtec products are 'made in usa'? other than the movements, all of their parts are from china. 4yrs ago when i went to my 1st HK watch fair, catalogue watches which were openly displayed back then are, i believe, still part of lumtec's current lineup. Compared to other decent china watches by fullswing n longio (ex benarus, helson crepas), lumtecs are at least 1-2 steps behind in terms of quality, yet they sell for more money. :shrug: :shrug: Imho lumtec are way overpriced

china company that offered the watches
http://www.matime.com/

they claim their black watches to be coated in usa with 'titanium carbide PVD hard coating.? seriously? have u seen any firearms carbide coated that does this?
http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/ ... /59028.htm
this is the same post you make every week --- kobold, kemmner, yada yada yada.... (insert brand)... :raised: and here I thought every watch in the world was made in Switzerland or Lancaster, PA.

>>. buy pre-owned, and buy what you like.

Jake897

Post by Jake897 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Cool story!