Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Sport-A Review

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
dukerules

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Sport-A Review

Post by dukerules » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:18 am

So here are my initial impressions after one week of ownership of my Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Sport. Obviously, it’s early, but this is likely my favorite watch I’ve ever owned. It’s a funny piece in that, despite clearly being a diver, with its rotating dive bezel, thickness, and 45mm size, it’s the most undiver-like diver I’ve ever worn. It’s just a really elegant piece, for lack of a better word, and wears and feels different on the wrist than any other diver I’ve ever worn. Also, and this has been said before, it’s a watch which photographs well, but in my opinion looks so much better in real life than it does in pictures.

The FF Sport is a piece I’ve long admired from afar, but I really fell in love with it after trying it, and a few other FF versions, on a few months ago while visiting Chicago. It stood out to me as a special piece, even among a lot of other spectacular pieces I tried on during that trip. I knew after that trip that I would own one someday. However, a few months later I tried one on the bracelet, and while I still liked it, that experience took some of the shine off the watch for me. I really couldn’t figure out exactly why for a while, but then it struck me that I really didn’t love the FF Sport on the bracelet. The X-71 bracelet is an incredibly well constructed, objectively amazing, monstrously expensive bracelet, but it does absolutely nothing for me. To me, this watch belongs on a strap of some sort.

After a bit of trying, I was finally able to land a FF Sport. I have to give big thanks to Drew (aboen) who was a killer enabler during my quest to buy this thing.

I’m not one for long reviews, but I’ll just say a little about the watch. I’m no photographer, so if you want to see some good pics, Jae has posted many before.

Case: This is a simple-appearing case, but it is extremely well finished. The entire case is polished. The “Blancpain” writing along the 9 o’clock case side may annoy some, but I like it. It’s 45mm in size, but wears a bit smaller, certainly smaller than a 44mm Panerai for instance. The downward-angling lugs help in this regard.

Dial, markers, and hands: Deceptively simple, the dial actually consists of an outer brushed portion and an inner portion which exhibits almost a sunburst effect in certain light. I’m a sucker for a 12-3-6-9 dial (the inner PAM fanboy in me?). The date works well at 4:30. The sword hands are really well-proportioned, and look great. The touch of red on the seconds hand adds just a little bit of color to the piece.

Crystal and bezel: The crystal is slightly domed, lending a vintage feel to the piece. The sapphire bezel looks great, and is also domed. My watch had a bezel spring upgrade performed at Blancpain USA earlier this year. The bezel clicks are extremely positive with no backlash, but the feel could be much smoother, and can’t begin to compare with the feel of the DSSD bezel (the best feeling dive bezel I’ve ever used).

Crown: Winds very smoothly, and lines up perfectly with the case, which is cool.

Movement: The Blancpain cal. 1315 has 3 barrels, and a 5-day power reserve. Unfortunately, mine’s not keeping great time, losing 4-6 secs a day on the wrist, although it’s dead on off the wrist. Interestingly, the watch was regulated at Blancpain earlier this year during the bezel upgrade. I don’t know if it might settle down a bit with time, but this one might be going back for regulation in the near future.

Lume: I really could care less about lume, but this thing is an absolute torch. Best lume I’ve ever seen in a watch, and yes, this includes the PO, Omega 2254, and even the Seiko monster.

Strap: OK, Blancpain could have done much better here. The sailcloth strap looks good, and works well in the water, but is just too thin. This is most apparent at the lugs, where the strap just does not fill the lugs well. I suppose the thinness of the strap highlights the watch itself well, but I think this watch demands a thicker strap. I’ve got a leather strap on order. The straps are secured by a 0.9mm hex screw system. I’ll see how easy strap changes are soon.

Overall I’m extremely happy with this watch. It's a totally modern diver with plenty of cool vintage styling cues, and it wears extremely well. Whether or not you believe that the Fifty Fathoms was the first true modern dive watch, it was certainly one of the first, and it’s nice to have a bit of that history on the wrist. I won’t even go into the fact that today’s Blancpain is not the Blancpain that made those classic Fifty Fathoms though.

Sorry this went on much longer than I intended. I’ll leave you with a pic of two of the descendants of the two original modern dive watches.

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Re: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Sport-A Review

Post by TLgdeL » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:20 am

Great job on the review and congratz again R

:clap:

</golfclap>
Image Image

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:26 am

:love:

Super classy watch, Rahul. I was duly impressed when I tried on Drew's.

For me, I think if it had some brushed surfaces mixed in, I'd be 100% sold and gunning hard for one this instant. Still, I think I want to own this at some point.

Congrats on the pickup. Love it.
:htfu:

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:26 am

I think if the strap was thicker it wouldn't be as elegant.

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:45 am

damn I shouldn't have clicked on this thread....

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:50 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Certainly a piece collectors everywhere aspire to own.

Great write up and nice photos. I never realized that watch had a domed crystal. Very cool.

Wear it well!
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:53 am

Great review of an iconic diver!
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:57 am

Congrats! The BP has quickly become my favorite watch by far in my collection. The strap was my biggest disappointment on the BP along with the irregular 23mm lugs, but I switched to a 24mm Isofrane a day or so after buying it and have not looked back. The Hirsch Pure is also good for a more streamlined rubber look, and I have always liked the looks of Drew's FF on his various leather straps. I think the first strap change for the watch itself is difficult, but once you have the lug wrenches and the screws have had any residual loctite removed, it is fairly easily to change. Main thing to note is that the space between the lugs and case is narrow so some thicker leather straps may take some work to fit into the lugs.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:59 am

FlyPenFly wrote:I think if the strap was thicker it wouldn't be as elegant.
I actually think you can put a slightly thicker strap on there and be okay. The only thing that would detract from the "elegance" would be if you decided to put a non-tapering strap on it. I think as long as it was tapered (maybe 23/21 or 23/20), you'd be fine with some thickness on the strap.
:htfu:

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:09 am

Don't mess with perfection. Look what happened to all the new BP watches! They are.. not as elegant.

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:44 am

It all works together pretty well, looking at the pics. The thin strap keeps the vintage look to it.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Congrats Rahul....That's such a cool/ iconic watch.... :headbang:

I was amazed how well it wears on a smaller wrist...

Like you said, wish it had a thicker strap...

Sorry to hear about the accuracy....

Mike

aztecknight

Post by aztecknight » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:21 pm

Great looking watch. I want one.

drster
Name: mark

Post by drster » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Great review Rahul. I agree with your assessment. One thing I will say about the oem sailcloth is that I always found it to be very comfy. I bought an aftermarket deployant for it and thought it was great. I've also seen those Barennia leather straps that look awfully good. I'm surprised about the accuracy. Mine were all very accurate. Make sure you wind it at least 60 turns before wearing and see if that makes a difference.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:41 pm

An outstanding review for an unbelievable piece I'll never own.

Truly amazing looking.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Beautiful watch and great review.

Making me miss it.

Ugh.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:08 pm

It's a real beauty Rahul,and yes it does look dressier than most dive watches,not sure why,maybe its the all over shine.:thumbsup:
Andy :uj:

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:11 pm

damn, i've been able to successfully resist buying this piece for largely two reasons:

1) 45mm pieces are just a shade too large for my preferences, hence it would not get a lot of wrist time
2) the interminably long wait for a bracelet

but if nothing else comes out at basel or sihh next year, i might have to give in and order the FF.

there's also the fear that if i get the FF and a deep one comes around, i'm going to be screwed.

Tragic

Post by Tragic » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Crapsakes those are fine.....
Thanks for the review and pics.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Great review, it's an awesome piece. Pictures never do it justice, esp the dial, photos never capture the sunburst on the center portion. Congrats again on FF, well done.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Holy Crap that thing sure is purdy!

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Post by ElChingon7 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:53 pm

Yeah pictures never do this watch justice.

Congrats on the iconic piece :clap: :clap:
WTF

homathetes
Name: Andrew

Post by homathetes » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Platonic form of dive watches

Jem
Name: Jem

Post by Jem » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Nice review - makes me want to try it on again and see if it gets moved up in the depth chart.

Enjoy...

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:35 pm

You suck :banghead:

Nice watch :banghead:
-David