Why does Sinn, not get much love?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Why does Sinn, not get much love?

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:17 am

I am not thinking of buying one, but i am looking at using the very same hardening process they use, for the case.

In fact, i am stripping down my Panerai this weekend, to be the test vessel, as i have no Aegir cases yet. ( thats a sore point )

I dont hear anything bad about them, but i really dont hear that much at all. Certainly does not get the love of UTS etc.
Bit like my Saab, great, but goes unnoticed.

So anybody got one, thoughts on the case, the anti scratch coating? etc
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Re: Why does Sinn, not get much love?

Post by Seth » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:32 am

Not sure... but as soon as the money tree grows, I'm buying at LEAST one... either a 757 or U1 with the white dial.

Rambam
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Barney Gumble

Post by Rambam » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:51 am

I haven`t really given them all that much thought before David (DMB) posted up his beautifulle 556. Now I`ve been glued to the screen salivating over wich model to get. I`ve been wanting a smaller sized watch lately (less than 40mm) so I`m thinking either a 556 or a 656. The U1 is badass looking, but at 44mm I`m thinking too big for me. How cool doesen`t submariner steel sound though? :headbang:
Their flieger models are pretty darn awesome too, come to think of it, it`s not one watch in their lineup I dont like :mrgreen:
Honey Badger FTW!!!

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:55 am

Well i think its only on one model they use steel from a Sub, not entirely sure.
And yeah, its cool.

But no matter where the steel comes from, they have a coating applied, that is supposed to be very scratch resistant, and i am hoping this thread will reveal if that is the business or not.

el presidente
Name: Roar

Post by el presidente » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:30 am

Hi,regarding the tegimated coating i can tell you that i am impressed :thumbsup: I have a work buddy(Docker) that bought his U1 2 years ago,closer to 3 i guess.Uses it 24/7,at work,home,everything.The watch head is flawless,scratches on the bracelet though but which watch wouldnt.Awesome watch.
Pikachu is a virgin!

sinner
Closet Baller
Name: Sum Ting Wong

Post by sinner » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:35 am

Never heard of Sinn until I started spending too much time on WUS, where they have a pretty devoted following. The U1, in particular has some very devoted fans, myself included. Any time people are pondering what constitutes the ultimate tool watch, the U1 is always mentioned.

BTW, I believe that all the watches in the "U" series have cases made of submarine steel. The hardening process (tegimenting) is typically limited to only the bezels in the "U" series although there are exceptions. Other Sinn models have cases and even bracelets which are tegimented, also.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:42 am

Only some of the Sinn's are tegimented....like the 756 ..I think Sinn gets lot's of love here at DWC. Lot's of love especially for the U1. David just got a 556. The case to really check out is the one by Damaskus which I think takes it one step further than Sinn..

Here is a 756 that I use to own..

Mike

el presidente
Name: Roar

Post by el presidente » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:47 am

sinner wrote: BTW, I believe that all the watches in the "U" series have cases made of submarine steel. The hardening process (tegimenting) is typically limited to only the bezels in the "U" series although there are exceptions. Other Sinn models have cases and even bracelets which are tegimented, also.
+1 and even this one is all tegimented,awesome watch :thumbsup:

Bonus pic :drool: :love:

Pikachu is a virgin!

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:17 am

Don't they have a reputation for putting out shitty timekeepers? Is that just gossip? Does anyone here have a Sinn that is >+/-10 seconds/day?

* The Damasko(s) are great from this side of the web browser. I've come awfully close a couple of times. Any Domasko cheerleaders out there?
Chris

mvyadam
Masshole
Name: Adam

Post by mvyadam » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:24 am

I loved all my Sinns, but sold each for one reason or another, still not sure why :crybaby:
I can attest to the durability of the tegimenting process, each one I had looked exactly as I bought it when I sold them.
UX

U2

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:32 am

Marketing material on Domasko's hardening process:

http://www.damasko.de/pdf/Damasko_Prospekt_eng.pdf
Chris

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:35 am

vbuskirk wrote:Don't they have a reputation for putting out shitty timekeepers?

Is that just gossip?

Does anyone here have a Sinn that is >+/-10 seconds/day?

I been too much in love with mine to spend the time checking. :love:

I'll see what mine is doing, accuracy wise.

mvyadam
Masshole

Post by mvyadam » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:40 am

I think I remember my U2 being the most accurate auto I have ever owned, can't remember about the other ones :rolleyes:

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:46 am

mvyadam wrote:I think I remember my U2 being the most accurate auto I have ever owned, can't remember about the other ones :rolleyes:

Did that have the anti scratch coating? if so, what was it like?
You said earlier it was great, but was it the bezel only, or the whole case?

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:49 am

Thing about Sinn is that they are constantly innovating and incorporating cool(not necessarily useful) technology into their pieces. AR, sub steel, tegimenting, copper sulphate capsules, etc ...

Techart

Post by Techart » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:18 pm

depends on the cost todd and how much more the the coating will add to the total price. ocean7 has the same on their new lm1, they call it cold carbon and those go for 800$. i think it be a good addition. As a brand, Sinn positioned themselves as the german premier tool watch maker but with price increases annually, i suspect they r creeping up a little on the expensive side. They need an inhouse mvmt to complete the package imho.

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:32 pm

I like reason #6 for owning a Sinn :

6. You really are into over-engineering and are facinated by this tech....simply put, you might not need it but you want it...and don't need to justify it to anybody as it's your money.

It's reason #1 for passing that bothers me, however.

1. You have to send it to Germany to get serviced and this servicing will probably be pretty expensive. Also...you may have reservations about sending your watch overseas for servicing or repairs.

* Works Cited: http://forums.watchuseek.com/showpost.p ... stcount=45
Chris

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:04 pm

vbuskirk wrote: It's reason #1 for passing that bothers me, however.

1. You have to send it to Germany to get serviced and this servicing will probably be pretty expensive. Also...you may have reservations about sending your watch overseas for servicing or repairs.
There are a lot of watch manufacturers that have the same logistical issue. Sure there are guys that can service the movement here... but if you bust something serious, its gotta go to china, germany, etc...

Seems to the be the price for being interested in something off the beaten path.

mvyadam
Masshole

Post by mvyadam » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:20 pm

t20569cald wrote:
mvyadam wrote:I think I remember my U2 being the most accurate auto I have ever owned, can't remember about the other ones :rolleyes:

Did that have the anti scratch coating? if so, what was it like?
You said earlier it was great, but was it the bezel only, or the whole case?
I know that the 756/757 series cases are tegimented, but I think that only the bezels on the U series were/are tegimented. I may be wrong, but I think that the 757 bracelet is tegimented, and with some effort can fit on the U series with only a little difference in coloration etc. I wouldn't hesitate buying another U series, but this time I'd keep it :doh:

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:26 pm

:raised: Huh? Sinn isn't off the beaten path if you live on watch forums. No offense, but it seems to me to be one notch above the ubiquitous micro-brands in the watch geek Kool-Aid dept. (Except I suppose more deserving of the buzz it creates.)

I also wouldn't by a Porshe if I had to ship it back to Germany to get it fixed. They do have an arrangement with RGM now, however, for some local watch repair/servicing needs.

One more WUS quote, and I'll stop. This is the kind of stuff that scares me about Sinn. Is this real or just 'bogeyman' talk?
Sinn - a record of repeated failure

I know this is a Sinn forum and most of the posts are positive, full of praise for the company. I too was a Sinn fan once but not any more. I have suffered too many quality lapses when it comes to Sinn watches and I'd like to share these experiences with all of you. Incidentally, all purchases were brand new from an AD.

I first bought a Sinn 956 Rallye Chronograph some years ago (with beige dial and green power reserve). It kept awful time, gaining 2-3 mins a week and the power reserve indicator simply would not settle at the bottom when the watch was fully unwound. Instead, it would fall to around the 1/3 mark then stop there. Sent it in twice, the problem persisted so I sold the watch - after all, what's the use of a PR indicator that doesn't work properly?

Still, I perservered. My next Sinn was the U1000s - I liked the left-handed layout and the 60-min subdial. Paid US$4,000+ for it, only for the minutes hand to fall off the subdial within 3 months. I don't dive and don't do any heavy physical work, yet one day I woke up to find a floating minutes hand inside the dial. The AD was good enough to replace the watch with a new one, but 6 months later, the watch has stopped working. Since it can only be opened at the factory, it's now being sent back to Germany.

In between these calamities, I stubbornly refused to believe that German engineering could be so awful and ordered a white Sinn U1 Limited edition. One week after collecting and paying for it, I found it was losing about 3 minutes. Simple maths tells you that this works out to 12 minutes a month. The AD offered to repair it but by then, I'd had enough and returned it for a refund.

On top of all this, a close friend's U1000 also stopped working last year and was sent back to Germany for repair. It took 5+ months, which means he has effectively only a 19-month warranty instead of 24. They told him the rotor fell off inside the watch.

So there you have it folks. It doesn't make for pretty reading, but I think it's important that forum members hear the other side of the story. Defenders of the brand might say I'm just unlucky but to me, 3 strikes and you're out (4, if you count my friend's experience).

In my view, Sinn is not a good brand at all and is certainly undeserving of being placed on the same level as Omega or Longines or TAG. I'll not be buying any more Sinns. It's a shame because if nothing esle, the watches look good.
Chris

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:34 pm

vbuskirk wrote::raised:
One more WUS quote, and I'll stop. This is the kind of stuff that scares me about Sinn. Is this real or just 'bogeyman' talk?
Sinn - a record of repeated failure

I know this is a Sinn forum and most of the posts are positive, full of praise for the company. I too was a Sinn fan once but not any more. I have suffered too many quality lapses when it comes to Sinn watches and I'd like to share these experiences with all of you. Incidentally, all purchases were brand new from an AD.

I first bought a Sinn 956 Rallye Chronograph some years ago (with beige dial and green power reserve). It kept awful time, gaining 2-3 mins a week and the power reserve indicator simply would not settle at the bottom when the watch was fully unwound. Instead, it would fall to around the 1/3 mark then stop there. Sent it in twice, the problem persisted so I sold the watch - after all, what's the use of a PR indicator that doesn't work properly?

Still, I perservered. My next Sinn was the U1000s - I liked the left-handed layout and the 60-min subdial. Paid US$4,000+ for it, only for the minutes hand to fall off the subdial within 3 months. I don't dive and don't do any heavy physical work, yet one day I woke up to find a floating minutes hand inside the dial. The AD was good enough to replace the watch with a new one, but 6 months later, the watch has stopped working. Since it can only be opened at the factory, it's now being sent back to Germany.

In between these calamities, I stubbornly refused to believe that German engineering could be so awful and ordered a white Sinn U1 Limited edition. One week after collecting and paying for it, I found it was losing about 3 minutes. Simple maths tells you that this works out to 12 minutes a month. The AD offered to repair it but by then, I'd had enough and returned it for a refund.

On top of all this, a close friend's U1000 also stopped working last year and was sent back to Germany for repair. It took 5+ months, which means he has effectively only a 19-month warranty instead of 24. They told him the rotor fell off inside the watch.

So there you have it folks. It doesn't make for pretty reading, but I think it's important that forum members hear the other side of the story. Defenders of the brand might say I'm just unlucky but to me, 3 strikes and you're out (4, if you count my friend's experience).

In my view, Sinn is not a good brand at all and is certainly undeserving of being placed on the same level as Omega or Longines or TAG. I'll not be buying any more Sinns. It's a shame because if nothing esle, the watches look good.

I saw that on WUS the other day. That kind of bad luck is unbelievable. It sounds like the guy has a bone to pick with Sinn and decided to spin some propaganda. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but the part about the friend that also had problems was a bit over the top. I know a lot og guys on the forums that have and still do own Sinns and nobody ever reported problems like this guy. I'm gonna call bullshit.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Could be true, but no matter what forum or sub forum, I'm in there always seems to be a post like that...Seems like It happens with cars, too....Could very well be true... :think:

Mike

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Well, that is some story. Bet that didn't last long on WUS.

It was said earlier that they do a lot of innovation, well while i am sure thats true, some of it is just tech from other companies with their own label on it.

Having said that, they look to me like a very nice watch, and they seem to try to go that extra step

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:54 pm

DMB wrote: I saw that on WUS the other day. That kind of bad luck is unbelievable. It sounds like the guy has a bone to pick with Sinn and decided to spin some propaganda. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but the part about the friend that also had problems was a bit over the top. I know a lot og guys on the forums that have and still do own Sinns and nobody ever reported problems like this guy. I'm gonna call bullshit.
:bs:
Yeah, that's probably right. I think we have lots of Sinn here, but no one stepping up to relate any bad experiences ...
Chris

vbuskirk

Post by vbuskirk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:58 pm

On the other hand (whether it is that bad or not) I'm pretty sure that ... say ... Porshe's maintenance record is much worse than Lexus' (or BMW's). Sinn still scares me a little. Someone should let me buy a used U1 off of them so I can make up my own mind. Ahem. :pray:
Last edited by vbuskirk on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris