Transferable Warranty

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Techart

Re: Transferable Warranty

Post by Techart » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:54 pm

ive noticed that 07 keep saying they have moved away from forum sales, most of their revenue comes from other sources. Other than the monthly ad in IW mag, wat other sources or advertising platform does 07 employ? they dont got retail dealers, no real presense in the world watch market. To me they r still very much a forum watch co, maybe they r talkin about 'active' forum members? i mean if a person sees an 07 ad in a mag or blog, common sense he google and find his way onto WUS and 07 forum? :rolleyes:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Techart wrote:ive noticed that 07 keep saying they have moved away from forum sales, most of their revenue comes from other sources. Other than the monthly ad in IW mag, wat other sources or advertising platform does 07 employ? they dont got retail dealers, no real presense in the world watch market. To me they r still very much a forum watch co, maybe they r talkin about 'active' forum members? i mean if a person sees an 07 ad in a mag or blog, common sense he google and find his way onto WUS and 07 forum? :rolleyes:

without knowing any better, I'd have to say that just a bunch of :bs: from Mitch. I know some of you guys like Mitch and even have O7's - but I will NEVER buy one from him, especially after all the crap that went down over the 58 click bezel. Did any of you see the machining on those things? :shock:

Any time someone mentions non-transferable warranties, I think of O7 and the fecal whirlwind that went with it all. Then I think of Doxa. I own a Doxa - and because of the non-transferable warranty, I am forever hesitant to buy one used off the sales forums. That doesn't mean if one pops up at a killer price, I won't be inclined to jump on it, quite the opposite. My point is that some companies can function without dealing with warranty repairs for 2nd and so on owners - and those seem to be the companies that can 1) take the hit because of product history or whatever (e.g., Doxa) or 2) lose countless sales because they're new, and problems with their products are widespread, almost epidemic (e.g., O7). Does this mean Mitch won't sell anymore watches? No. But he definitely won't sell as many, and that, imo, is key and essential to the survival of any start up.

More importantly, i wonder how many of the boutique/startups actually turn a profit within the first year (or off of their first offering) AND offer fully transferable, limited warranties? Companies that have been around a while, like UTS, have certainly made a niche for themselves and have garnered international attention. But what about the smaller ones that have only been around a year or 2?
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Post by t20569cald » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:26 pm

BSears wrote: More importantly, i wonder how many of the boutique/startups actually turn a profit within the first year (or off of their first offering) AND offer fully transferable, limited warranties? Companies that have been around a while, like UTS, have certainly made a niche for themselves and have garnered international attention. But what about the smaller ones that have only been around a year or 2?
[/quote]

I can tell you this, there will be no profit off the 1st 50 watches i make.
And the first year wont be good either, as just getting someone to answer an email takes 6 weeks, so making more watches ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But, due to this thread, on a topic i never thought to much on, i will be offering a 2 year, FULLY TRANSFERABLE WARRANTY!
My budget was drawn up on the back of a beer mat, and i am feeling that problem now.
A lot i did not consider, in fact the only thing i was concerned about, was the design, quality, and where it was made.
Its true when i say, the whole profit thing was an after thought, as i am no business man.
I am a Diver, who knows what to do with a hammer and spanner, and some other tools.
So threads like this are always helpful to me, and gives me the best chance, and going down with pride, or actually making something of it.
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

Techart

Post by Techart » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:57 pm

hey t20569cald,
im rather new here but yr nick seems familiar in some other forums i visit, wat is the watch/brand that u r making? is there a website? Thanks

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Techart wrote:hey t20569cald,
im rather new here but yr nick seems familiar in some other forums i visit, wat is the watch/brand that u r making? is there a website? Thanks

Yes Mate, i stay with the same name, and spend time on about 4 forums.
The brand is Ægir, and the company is Aegir. ( Norwegian and English spelling ) and the website is not yet active.
but is www.aegirwatches.com

In fact, i am doing up the warranty page, hence the thread.

I have no photo's only a couple of renderings as of this time, so not much point in rushing the site.
A little article is to be found here http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2009/12 ... ction.html

Most of the hard work has been done, the design, the setup etc , etc, and now just waiting to get a price on dials, hands and case back etching before its started.

I can tell you this, will be 42mm, made 100% in Germany, assembled there to, and will use an ETA 2892, Top or most likely Chronometer grade. WR 701M, Sapphire crystal, HRV and most important to me, a finely detailed dial, and hands.
Will ship on a bracelet, and i have talked myself into a 2 year transferable warranty!
Wont be cheap, but considering the specs, i think it will be one of the cheapest around. I say that, because i dont see much on offer at all like that, let alone at a good price.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Based on your posts and comments to date, I can't wait to see your product...

:cheers:
Mike

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:43 pm

I hope I can be your very first customer.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Seth wrote:I hope I can be your very first customer.

Is that because of the fantastic 2 year transferable warranty :grin:

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:48 pm

No. The watch is bad ass and your approach is top shelf.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks Mate.

Techart

Post by Techart » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Wow i like the design and the 42mm is perfect! Love the 701metre, great idea! but where in germany is it made? i am familar with kenzo watches, held a nautilus, amazing built quality! but there if i understand correctly, that one is fricker built and. But kenzo now has his own factory or outsourced?

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Techart wrote:Wow i like the design and the 42mm is perfect! Love the 701metre, great idea! but where in germany is it made? i am familar with kenzo watches, held a nautilus, amazing built quality! but there if i understand correctly, that one is fricker built and. But kenzo now has his own factor or outsourced?

No, he is working with a few guys, and they are doing their own thing.
I never pushed him for the details, but i have had a look at the 1500, and its nice.
The rest were Fricker cases.
As for where, well the same town as Fricker and everyone else in the German watch industry , except those chaps in Glashutte.
So we have a deal in principle, but i am keen to start, and will look at other options if needed.

On another note, i asked Comex to test the watches, as they do offer the service testing equipment to 4000M, but they wont test watches, as Rolex has exclusive rights.
Dont know why, as they are not much of a company anymore, well not like they were back in the day.
So now i am forced to source my own WR gear. Lucky for me, i know just the people.

Techart

Post by Techart » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 pm

interesting :rolleyes: , im not saying im doubting anyone not u especially t20569cald, u have a great idea and i know yr intentions r good, But ive noticed recently there a a lot of brands who sell 'german' to command a higher price but watch not really consisting of anything german made, instead they use the term 'finished in germany' which in many cases can also mean just having a german crown or case back engraving. Honestly i suspect a lot of the brands, like sonic, WWW, Arctos dont really even know where their cases r done, they just take wat their german supplier tells them. i wish u well, but i feel being yr 1st watch, u should do that little bit extra, go check out the facility and see how its done. u r investing money and time n effort, thats the least u can do imho. just sent u a pm! 8-) 8-)

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Techart wrote:interesting :rolleyes: , im not saying im doubting anyone not u especially t20569cald, u have a great idea and i know yr intentions r good, But ive noticed recently there a a lot of brands who sell 'german' to command a higher price but watch not really consisting of anything german made, instead they use the term 'finished in germany' which in many cases can also mean just having a german crown or case back engraving. Honestly i suspect a lot of the brands, like sonic, WWW, Arctos dont really even know where their cases r done, they just take wat their german supplier tells them. i wish u well, but i feel being yr 1st watch, u should do that little bit extra, go check out the facility and see how its done. u r investing money and time n effort, thats the least u can do imho. just sent u a pm! 8-) 8-)

Your right, heaps of " German " popping up.

I have been to meet with Kazim, and Ickler in the past.
I will be going to the place they are making the cases, but they can start before i look.
Most likely i will end up there a couple of times before they are finished the first run

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:35 pm

It looks like some started the same topic at WUS the other day.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=353883

rationaltime

Post by rationaltime » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:35 pm

I do not know the rules, but I think I see two year warranties for new
watches sold in the EU. I guess it might be an EU requirement.

The whole warranty issue seems to be complicated by a sense of
entitlement on the part of consumers, especially in the U.S. Perhaps
this is conditioning from years of some retail stores issuing returns or
refunds on merchandise declared faulty by the purchaser. What I
read in the forum is pretty much, "You represent this automatic watch
as being tough enough for divers and jet pilots. Now it is losing time.
It is defective. That should covered under warranty". There is no
mention of the events which precipitated the time loss. It must be the
fault of the watch company.

The customer wants mechanical movements, because they have "soul"
and value. After the customer drops the watch a few times or wears
it while running the orbital sander with 36 grit paper, it doesn't
keep COSC any more or goes TU. It must be a manufacturing defect.
Prove the watch was abused and that is bad customer relations.

I see a warranty issue for the low production watch brands. Many of
them do not manufacture or assemble anything. They may design the
dial or external case profile, but there may be no watch expertise within
the brand. The parts may all be purchased by the company that assembles
the watches.

In those circumstances suppose the watch company sells out a lot of one
watch model. Then the company gets a watch or two back under warranty
claim. Now what does it do?

Should the warranty follow the watch?
Yes, I think it should.

Do I think there is much risk the watch will be damaged when shipping
from one owner to the next?
No, I think that is low risk.

What can the manufacturer do to minimize the exposure?
Here is an idea.
Only sell watches with quartz movements to consumers.
Make the automatic movement "professional" models available only
to companies with tax numbers and provide a "limited" warranty.

Thanks,
rationaltime

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:33 am

The consumer can think whatever he wants and maybe there is some sense of entitlement. Ultimately, it is up to the consumer to understand the warranty prior to purchasing. It's up to the owner of the company to have a policy that doesn't leave him financially exposed.

Here is Tourneau's warranty policy from their web site.

Talk about well written and thorough---basically a defective movement is covered...nothing else and it's at their option.

The warranty doesn't cover accidents--that covers just about every scenario...

---------------------------

Watch purchases made at Tourneau and Tourneau.com come with an extended three year warranty in addition to the manufacturer’s warranty. Tourneau will, within three years from date of purchase, repair or replace (at its option) free of charge (including all parts and labor) the movement of any watch, if it proves to be defective in material or workmanship under normal use.
What is not covered under the Tourneau warranty?

This warranty does not cover accidents, misuse, abuse or neglect, and is void if damage has been caused by opening the case or by repairs performed by someone other than a Tourneau-authorized service facility.

The warranty does not cover straps, crystals, bracelets, crowns or cases. Battery replacement does not include regular water resistant maintenance. Regular maintenance is required to retain the water resistance of models with that feature
-------------------------------

Mike