G-Shocks -- what's the fuss about?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Diaboliq
Strap Maker Extraordinaire
Name: Joe

G-Shocks -- what's the fuss about?

Post by Diaboliq » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Ok.. I will say this -- to me all the G-Shocks look about the same. I like the one Heather has, and I really love that stormtrooper G9000. Other than that --- what makes the price of some skyhigh while most of them have basically the same functions....?

(sorry if it's a dumb question but I really have to know..) :shrug:

I think I'm gonna get this one before Summer.

Click:

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Re: G-Shocks -- what's the fuss about?

Post by apnk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Diaboliq wrote: what makes the price of some skyhigh while most of them have basically the same functions....?....
Well the same can be asked on any watch imo. Some of them are price high, mostly the limited edition models compared to the regular model. They are addicting because they are cheap compared to others, that's why I have more G's than any other watch.

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Post by ElChingon7 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm

JDM models, atomic , solar, limited edition, rare all jacks the price up, i.e expensive. IMO, The new Atomic frog is a little ridiculous pushing 1K.

The rest are hard to beat for their price point.
Last edited by ElChingon7 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTF

Diaboliq

Post by Diaboliq » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Well I'm asking while ever since my childhood days theye were cool but almost disposable watches; you bang it, you buy another. I'm looking the prices now and MAN it's ridiculous! :o

OK, I love this one as well. Just because of the asymmetrical look

Click:

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Yep, I love my Frogman, but that's the highest I would pay for a G-shock.

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore

Post by ElChingon7 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:12 pm

Diaboliq wrote:Well I'm asking while ever since my childhood days theye were cool but almost disposable watches; you bang it, you buy another. I'm looking the prices now and MAN it's ridiculous! :o

OK, I love this one as well. Just because of the asymmetrical look

That's the Froggie. The price is going up....I had one, but just didn't like how it fit on the right wrist :tap:
WTF

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:14 pm

I think the Mudmen have some kind of better seals or something, but there is a wide range in the pricing spectrum. Which is actually a good thing right?

Basic G's a pretty reasonable, but when you add Solar and Atomic, or ABC, then the price jumps. And at that point it becomes "Want" instead of "Need", and for any product that usually carries a price premium.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Joe, the one in that pic is, I believe, one of the Triple Crown of Surfing Frogman versions. The Frogman has always been the big one when it comes to the Masters of G. Casio put out a bunch of themed digital watches back several years ago and the Frogman was their most popular. THis was well before the days of solar technology and you'll find fewer and fewer g-shocks that are non-solar. And yes, some of the prices can be ridiculous. Back in the day, the g-shock forum on wus was the only place i cared to visit. There was a guy there that had an absurd number of them he purchased relatively cheap when he lived in Japan and then began to sell them at what I'm guessing to be a pretty good profit. He was subsequently banned from wus. The current mod (at least I think he's still a mod there), Sjors, has a g-shock collection like no other. Old "vintage" stuff too. If you're over on wus, send him a pm or check out his website: http://www.g-peopleland.com/

At any rate, there is always gonna be a craze surrounding them, much like the majority here love dive watches more than any other type of watch. I will always have at least one in the stable and use my mudman all the time in the summer, especially when out fishing. I just sold my Frogman to Pat - it was the version that preceded the Triple Crown versions and has a titanium, screwdown caseback. The new LE frogman is completely overpriced (and most likely overhyped - no real discernible difference between it and the other new non-LE frogman). I might end up snagging the newer non-LE version - it retains most of its original identity but adds multi-band 6 (atomic) function and keeps the 24 hr chrono and 24 hr countdown timer (a feature that casio dropped on previous atomic/solar g-shocks down to a 60 min chrono and 60 min CDT)
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:38 pm

I love my new/Brad's old Froggie..

And yes i would pay $1k for the new model.. J, i duno what it is cause i def dont care about all the functions and that atmoic crap..
what ever that means.
to me, espy the froggie just plain looks bad ass.. And the new model is even larger..
Pasquale

NSC

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Never thought I would want one but with a couple young kids and sports and stuff for me on the weekends seems like a must have...Really want a Frogman but just can't get myself to spend that on a G-shock...Outside of telling time, I might not use any of the actual features... :grin:

That white one (Stormtrooper???) is pretty cool...

Mike

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:11 pm

I really dig my Mudman. I think I paid around $60 for it new. I like some of the more expensive models, but I still haven't been able to shell out $100 + for a G-Shock. :shrug:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:31 pm

I had one and liked it, but haven't felt the need to get another. :shrug:

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:41 pm

I guess at those prices,its lucky for me that i dont really like G-Shocks. For that reason,ive not spent any time looking at them,but like other brands of watches i dont really like,there is bound to be one i would happily wear. -Andy :uj:
Andy :uj:

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 pm

Come on guys.... :rolleyes:

Countdown timer = turning the steaks or taking out the pizza

Stopwatch = timing your workout or verifying when your wife says "ready in 30 minutes"... that it really does take 60.

GMT = so you know what time Kenneth starts drinking

Solar = hey, never need a battery change

Atomic = It's always exactly the right time for setting all your autos when the time changes.

:cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

KWIATEK
Crabmeister AKA Domslayer
Name: Darin is an Asshole

Post by KWIATEK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:31 pm

G's are awesome!! Sure, the price can go a little steep for what some think are just cheap, plastic watches. But these things pack a punch. First off they are made to withstand the shock from a dop at the height of 30 feet. Trust me, there isn't a whole lot that you can do that will damage one. Functions. There are so many packed into that little case. Some have 4 or five alarms (some even have snooze), multiple CDT's, stopwatch, Daylight saving time (turn it off or on and PRESTO--you don't have to reset the entire watch), solar, atomic... the list goes on. Take for instance this new one I just got, the GW7900-B (the GW means its atomic, but some older models have GW and it doesn't mean the same thing-- a G version of the same model may be solar (but not always), but not atomic) Anyway... it's solar, atomic, has both the tide and moon graph, 4 alarms + 1 more with snooze, CDT (count down timer), stopwatch, auto el (automatically turns light on when you motion your wrist like you're checking the time), I can also choose the light to illuminate for 1.5 or 3 seconds, turn the button sounds on or off, use 12 or 24 hour time format,gives me the day, date and (and some display the year), is 20 BAR rated ... gee, should I continue? Oh, yes... and it has a negative display :drool:

All that function packed into one awesome looking case. The straps are no longer rubber, but resin. They are soft and flexible. The modding options are endless. You can drop it on the ground, throw it across the room in a fit of rage, stomp on it, run it over. The damn thing will still be there for you. And the best part? There is a size and color for every one. Don't like the size of a man's G-Shock, get the ladies-- the Baby-G. Still too big? Get a Club-G. Them are cute--surfer dude is really something. The backlights also come in a wide-range of colors. Amber, blue, green, orange, pink..... no need to list all the colors-- they make one hell of a rainbow.

And yes, market plays a part in the price. Same as any watch company that has both domestic and foreign markets. Limited editions will always run you more. The Frogs-- many are limited and they are also ISO rated and have a titanium screw back instead of stainless steel. A true dive watch, even though all G's can sustain most diving. It also holds up to 14 (I think, tho it could be 10) dives with up to 14 characters. Some G's are data models to store things like phone numbers. Never know when you might lose that cell phone when out and can't remember a phone number. What a novel idea--its tacked on your wrist!

Ok... I'll stop. But as you can see, G-shocks have a lot to offer-- and then some. So much for such a small price (on many models). And if you think they all look the same, I challenge you to buy one. Trust me, you'll love it. Then look at other G's again. None of them will ever look like yours. Just the way it is. Similar maybe, but not the same.

Brian D
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Really?

Post by Brian D » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:20 pm

G-SHOCKS RULE :headbang: :headbang: . Period. Full stop. End of story. :grin:
The Way of the Warrior is
To Live to Die

Brian D.

TikkTakk
Name: Silje

Post by TikkTakk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:04 am

Brian D wrote:G-SHOCKS RULE :headbang: :headbang: . Period. Full stop. End of story. :grin:
Is this when you want me to lock the thread?
:lol:
Best,
Silje

My Website

Diaboliq

Post by Diaboliq » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:56 am

Sh!t. I think I'm hooked. :rolleyes:
GF came to me last night, she fell asleep and I was browsing this page:

http://www.g-peopleland.com/

This one I like seems decent for the start. :think: $65 shipped to my doorstep :drool:
Click:

Isthmus
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Gabe

Post by Isthmus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:39 am

I don't know but personally I just don't get it. I appreciate G's for their near indestructible build. There are also a handful of models that are made for specific technical applications that are just awesome, but beyond that, the appeal is lost on me. From a pure usability point of view, I find the Timex Ironman range to have much better modules, legibility and have functions better designed for actual use. That said, Timexes aren't generally finished quite as finely as G's.

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:12 am

Isthmus wrote:I don't know but personally I just don't get it. I appreciate G's for their near indestructible build. There are also a handful of models that are made for specific technical applications that are just awesome, but beyond that, the appeal is lost on me. From a pure usability point of view, I find the Timex Ironman range to have much better modules, legibility and have functions better designed for actual use. That said, Timexes aren't generally finished quite as finely as G's.

Some of the Ironman models do have some neat features that most of the G's don't have. I find the Timex models though, not up to the
toughness of G's in general. I've had a number of IM, and I've broken all but one, and that's because I don't wear it. I find the batteries
harder to change in the IM then in the Casio's also.

Most of the more expensive models, are steel cased. You can remove the plasic and rubber, and still have the watch encased in a steel
case. Lot's of time it's Titanium. I've had several Frogies, and I have quite a few Gulfman, both standard and Solar. I like G's just because
they are so damn indestructable. When I'm going to do yard work or vehicle maintenance, I strap on a G because I know nothing is going
to kill it. I have an old one that had some dry rot and the buckle broke off. It happened while I was mowing my lawn. I didn't even realize it
had come off till a couple of passes later, when something caught my eye. I had completely ran over it with my mulching mower!!! It was still
working fine but not looking too pretty. I got outer cover for it and still use it.

G-Shocks are like Potato chips for me, I can't just have one :lol:
Regards Sonny

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore

Post by ElChingon7 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:22 am

Diaboliq wrote:Sh!t. I think I'm hooked. :rolleyes:

This one I like seems decent for the start. :think: $65 shipped to my doorstep :drool:
LOL, that's Sjors site. Long time poster on WUS g-shock forum. Spend too much time on that site and you are doomed for sure. :mrgreen:
WTF

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:30 am

Isthmus wrote:I don't know but personally I just don't get it. I appreciate G's for their near indestructible build. There are also a handful of models that are made for specific technical applications that are just awesome, but beyond that, the appeal is lost on me. From a pure usability point of view, I find the Timex Ironman range to have much better modules, legibility and have functions better designed for actual use. That said, Timexes aren't generally finished quite as finely as G's.

What doth thou say? Timex??!! Blasphemy!

:mrgreen: A statement like that back in the day on the g-shock forum might have resulted in severe flaming. :lol: Of course, not here! But I know what you're saying Gabe. It's impossible to convince a die-hard g-shock fan that Timex's are even in the same ballpark though :bananastoner:

Diaboliq

Post by Diaboliq » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:31 am

Just remembered; buddy of mine had a GIANT G-Shock, all metal looking which had a nead slot machine game on it. What was that?
I'd like to find that one. It looked ridiculous on his tiny wrist. :roll:
Click:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:34 am

ElChingon7 wrote:
Diaboliq wrote:Sh!t. I think I'm hooked. :rolleyes:

LOL, that's Sjors site. Long time poster on WUS g-shock forum. Spend too much time on that site and you are doomed for sure. :mrgreen:
Indeed! I've been there and done that so I know all too well how that goes! And Sjors is a good guy - with an unbelievable g-shock collection. :shock:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:36 am

Diaboliq wrote:Just remembered; buddy of mine had a GIANT G-Shock, all metal looking which had a nead slot machine game on it. What was that?
I'd like to find that one. It looked ridiculous on his tiny wrist. :roll:

PRobably the DW-8150 - here's a pic of one I found on wus - sales thread from 2007. To find one these days, it's either fleabay or Japan auction sites, but be prepared to get a proxy to bid on those and ship to you for a nominal fee. http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=55937