Looking for Some Opinions on Bigger Dive Watch Options

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
RALAustin
Name: Rob

Looking for Some Opinions on Bigger Dive Watch Options

Post by RALAustin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:19 pm

I try to keep the number of wider (42mm+) and/or thicker (14mm+) watches in my collection relatively low (for me) since they are limited to wear on nights and weekends. Been through a bunch from micro brands to Seiko to a vintage Ploprof to a PAM 25. Currently, my "larger" watch include: 44mm IWC Aquatimer Chrono, 44mm Sinn UX, 44mm Doxa 300t Re-Issue, 45mm Doxa 750 Caribbean, 42mm Omega PO, 42mm Omega Speedmaster and 40mm Panerai 283. The Doxa 1200t NUMA is coming soon along and I just took possession of a Doxa 1000t TUSA, and I include them in the bigger watch category (yes sadly the 42mm PO and Speedy, and 1000t/1200t fall into the bigger watch category for me). These are the watches that get the least wear in my collection, but are definitely the most fun.

Based on highly scientific factors (I don't have much into it and I really like it), the Doxa 750t is not going anywhere, but the others are all potential sale or trade bait (although the 283 is so rare and light/comfortable that it is probably not going anywhere either, and I have high hopes for the NUMA). The big watches that are of most interest to me are the following (and probably in this order): 45mm BP FF, 42.5mm Glashutte Original Sport Evolution Panorama Date, PAM 176, Kobold Arctic Diver, PAM 25, PAM 112, 42mm Jaeger LeColture Master Compressor Diving Automatic Navy Seals, PAM 183.

For those who have (or have had) some of these these target list watches, I am interested in your thoughts on comfort, wearability, coolness on a 7 inch wrist, particularly against the IWC 3767, Doxa 750t, Sinn UX, PAM 24/25, PO and others that are a real life comparison for me. All of these watches would be worn on rubber or Nato the bulk of the time so that is a factor here for me. Some pics I have of my current or prior large watches on my 7 inch wrist are below for comparison.

Part of me really wants the BP and/or GO and has no issue with selling the PO, Sinn UX, Doxas and/or IWC to get there, and part of me says stand pat because the BP is too wide, the GO and Kobold are too heavy, I have a great 40mm Ti PAM in hand and have gone through larger or heavier PAMs (but never a 44mm Luminor), and all of them are too expensive to merit scratching the itch on something that with my track record is unlikely to stick.

And yes part of me does say dump all of them and get a really nice red sub or Great White Sea Dweller, but that part of me also knows I like to mix it up after work and on weekends and that I have too many subs already (see earlier post a couple days ago about buying the same [bleeping] watch over and over, and a post I hope to make in the next day or so re the return of my birth year 5513).

RALAustin

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Re: Looking for Some Opinions on Bigger Dive Watch Options

Post by FlyPenFly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Bremont Super Marine if you want thick.

I don't think I should have sold mine but it was a bit too thick for me.

Studebaker Hawk
Name: JMK

Couple of other suggestions...

Post by Studebaker Hawk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:53 pm

UTS - 1000M on my 7.75" wrist

UN MMD

IWC Aquatimer for comparison

"My Grandfather...on his deathbed...sold me this watch"

- Woody Allen

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:53 pm

I know it is not on your list... but if you want a fun big dive watch that exudes total quality and functionality, consider the RGM 300. It is one mean dive watch and very comfortable on the wrist.

unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

Noisy Nova
Name: Dave

Post by Noisy Nova » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Ya got too many now. ;)
Dave
Image Image

Techart

Post by Techart » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Ennebi! :fro:

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:11 pm

The GO may be heavy, but it wears extremely comfortably thanks to its curved caseback (replete with a curved sapphire crystal) and brilliant, micro-adjustable bracelet. I have the GMT version, which is even thicker and heavier than the Panodate, but it still qualifies as one of the most comfortable bracelet pieces that I have ever worn.

Here it is on my 7.5" wrist:

Here's the back (you can sort of make out the curve in the sapphire crystal):

Regards,
Adam
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

RALAustin

Post by RALAustin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks guys! I totalling agree with the post that says I have too many already, but I have this great justification thing going that I plan to sell two or three and pick up one---it just happens sometimes that the buy/sell ratio of that is flipped. What is one to do. Math was never my strong point.

My heart is telling me the next one is the 42mm GO because of the looks (Exhibit A, Adam's pics) and 20mm lugs (with the weight the main concern), but my mind is telling me a PAM 176 would be better due to the lightweight case (with 24mm straps the main concern). So of course, the 45mm BP is probably in the stars since I finally decided to sell (and sold) the 40mm BP.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I think you should look at the BP FF and/or the GO and/or the JLC NSD. They're all obviously exceptional pieces, and then you'd have one or two top tier pieces.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:34 pm

That Adam's a pretty bright guy! :thumbsup:

(I have about a 7 1/2" wrist, that is very happy when the GO is on it)

Next to a big, bad Seawolf for size comparison

It came on the strap and felt great, but once I got the bracelet from Zack, it has not been back on the strap.

By the way, Rob, I see the heft of the GO as one of its many assets, just feels solid when worn.
Last edited by mattcantwin on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GGD

Post by GGD » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:36 pm

FWIW Rob here are my thoughts on the Kobold Arctic Diver.....

I've worn my AD Tac almost as a daily wearer for over 18 months since I bought it new. It gets worn 99% of the time on a zulu strap which is without a doubt the most comfortable (and coolest looking) set-up for a Kobold I think.

I have a 6.5" wrist and I find it very comfortable..... it's not as top heavy as my Breitling Seawolf and the longer lugs are what help it sit flatter on the wrist, especially with a zulu strap.

I didn't have much luck with the KWC rubber because the curved rubber made the strap bulge out from my wrist too much. I have a generic Panerai type strap that works much better.

I love it mate. I definately don't find it too heavy or annoying but having said that it does take some getting used to. As for the quality, well I am an unashamed Kobold Loyal Lieutenant and love this thing. It has been dropped, banged, smashed with a ram during a forced entry and it barely has a mark on it. I wear it with no regard for it's safety.

Hope that helps :cheers:

drster
Name: mark

Rob I'm about the same size ...

Post by drster » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:31 am

and have owned most of your choices. The GO is fine for size but more comfortable on the bracelet than strap. I got tired of the look. Not the most comfortable watch but not uncomfortable. I had the FF 4 times. It's just slightly too big. It doesn't look bad on my wrist really but to my eye it is just a little big. The PAM 25 is nice but I'm not a fan of Panerai. It is a nice one though. I think all those wear bigger than a PO or Doxa 750. They're also all nicer. The JLC NS Auto is a perfect size. Comfortable and not even close to big. Wears maybe a smidge smaller.

RALAustin

Post by RALAustin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks Mark! I love that JLC. I tried it on in Vegas and it would probably be #1 in terms of combined size, comfort and looks to me if the prices were all the same, but I try to stay below $5.5K for any one watch and that would be substantially more, as would the FF, even on the forums. That is why the GO and PAM 25 or 176 seem to be the most likely options for me finding at a doable price on the forums, but given that just about everything that has come in lately goes out soon afterwards I may need to re-consider and build up a war chest for the JLC.

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:37 am

Love that JLC, and its slightly bigger brothers. :love:
I walk past the JLC display window almost everyday just to have a look.

Chauncy7
Name: Jim

Post by Chauncy7 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:18 am

I'm not sure of the brand or depth rating, but, this one looks big.... :thumbsup:

chris
Name: Monkeyboy

That's a great bunch of divers!!

Post by chris » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:11 am

The stowa prodiver is one of my favorites. Nice and thick and wide but not obnoxiously so.

Chris
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
-Mark Twain

W. C. Bartlett
Name: Bill

Post by W. C. Bartlett » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Love this watch.
FlyPenFly wrote:Bremont Super Marine if you want thick.

I don't think I should have sold mine but it was a bit too thick for me.

W. C. Bartlett
Name: Bill

Post by W. C. Bartlett » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Love my KAD.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Victorinox LE is a solid "bigger" watch that wears very comfortably. :mrgreen:

I don't generally keep large watches for very long, but this one was one of my all time favorite "large" watches.

:htfu:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:03 pm

I really dig that GO---Glashutte does it right in my opinion....

I also like the Bremont but I didn't really care for the rubber strap....
The rubber on the IWC beats it hands down...

What about a Tudor Hydro 1200?

http://www.bernardwatch.com/watch/TDR195

Mike